Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boyd passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C Lee, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackie

Blackie

Growing up in Wyoming, far removed from the Southern California car scene, Boyd taught me a lot about hot rods through the magazines I scrounged my dad's pocket change to go buy. I can thank Boyd and Little John B. for getting me excited about hot rods and hot rod design.

Godspeed Mr. C!

2. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've been thinking about Boyd all day. This is just such a surprise. Cadzilla was such an inspiration. I didn't get a chance to meet him, but you can bet I'll be at his shop on March 5 to pay respects. God bless him and his family, thoughts and prayers going out to you.

3. cuzzindeke

cuzzindeke

my prayers are with the family

4. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

In Australia, in the 80s, we knew who Boyd was !!!!!

Please do me the honour of publicly adding my name to this list of people who want to pay respect to this man.

5. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

I feel so bad. I never met the guy, only heard and saw his TV show. But DAMN!!! that sucks...

6. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

HERES A PIC OF MY CONDOLENCE
    [​IMG]

7. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WOW........I'm gassed......Boyd was an ICON in the street rod industry.......I'm sure he's forgotton more than most know.

RIP & well wishes to he family & friends.

Paco

8. TimDavis

TimDavis

Quick clarification -

This is Roger Ritzow's roadster, built by Troy Trepanier -

and - The Silver Bullet was John Buttera's

9. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

Live the dream guys...​
    RIP Boyd ​
    Condolences to the family and friends

He now joins plenty of Great Men that share our passion

10. I don't know if any of you guys remember the thread I posted when I joined the HAMB(as if!)about Boyd. When my younger son,Dillon,was born,I named him after Boyd. At the time when he was born,1991,Boyd was the hottest thing going. I wanted to make his middle name Roth,but my wife said NO! In about 1995 I took Dillon with me to the LARS,back when Boyd would have the whole enterance taken up with his cars and displays. I didn't see him so I told a lady who was sitting in his booth about my sons name, and she told me to go over to the guy in the Hawaiian shirt and tell him. It was Boyd. When I told him,he took Dillon by the hand and sat him in a red 32 Roadster,then said"when you get older come see me and i'll build you one of your own". He gave him a Boyd coffee mug and a "Hotrods by Boyd" t-shirt,which he still has. Dillon talked about it all day.
    Story #2
    A fellow HAMBer told a story about running into Boyd and his clan at a resturant and having him sign a HAMB t-shirt. Then he put it up for auction on the HAMB. I had to have it so I bid on it. Safariknut reads the story and decides to bid, and if he wins,he was gonna send it to me! Well...he won and sent it to me so I could give it to my son for X-mas. That was such a cool thing to do!

I hate to admit though,but that the last time I saw Boyd,he asked me to leave his shop,cause I had the HAMB Chop 2006 shirt on! LOL!!! I asked him if he had heard of the HAMB,and he said" I don't have time to chat,you're gonna have to leave". As I was leaving I said "Bluebear says hi!". He just smiled.

RIB Boydster!!! I'll do a burnout for you tomorrow...

11. SICBOY

SICBOY

this sucks, I wish his family the best, RIP

12. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I bet that'll be quite a site if everyone brings their hotrods to the memorial. I'd love to be there. That will likely be procession of hotrods for the record books, a fitting tribute too.

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

He loved cars.
    'enuff said.
    RIP, Brother.

14. gallagher

gallagher
    from califorina

15. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

[​IMG]

That's a very powerful photo, simple but says it all..... RIP

CC

16. OK, i'll bite. If you named him after Boyd, why ya keep callin him Dillon?

17. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

One more Soul In the Hot Rod World That will live Forever!

God Bless Boyd and The Entire Coddington Family!

18. ShortBus

ShortBus

I met Boyd while I was in college when he let me take some photos at his shop in Stanton for a book assignment. He was very welcoming and pretty much gave me the run of the shop for the afternoon (with Chip for a shadow). Years later he became a client and I was surprised when he remembered me from my visit a decade prior. Yeah, he was gruff at times but if you spent more than a minute talking with him it was easy to see he was a good guy.

Rest in peace Boyd. You will be missed. Prayers to his family.

Todd- Thanks for signing in and providing us with information.

19. 303racer

303racer

wow say this is just a bad joke please

20. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

its a shame, a pioneer of the art has been lost, my prayers are with his family and fellow coligues

will miss his show for sure

21. premium

premium
    from Goergia

damn...thinkn about ya boyd. sorry for the family for sure.

22. VonKool13

VonKool13

I liked his style in the days and can appreciate his style now, imagine how bitchn his rods would be if he gotten into the traditional game.;)

Thanx Boyd.

23. Hewart

Hewart

Very sad news!! RIP!!

24. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

25. borntoolate

borntoolate

If his soul went to the right place, then we should all be envious of him. God bless his family and all those were close to him. RIP............Hey, if you just mount white wall tires, steelies and covers on just about any of his creations, they would instantly be cool, yeah? He had to promote his bread and butter wheel business. Like the rest of us, he wasn't perfect, but he was a perfect example of overcoming odds, doing your own thing in face of critics and accomplishing the American dream. TV showed him in a negative light, but I take everything I see on TV with a grain of salt and assume there's more to the story.

26. I remember going to Oakland in the 80's and 90's, Boyd's cars where always the first ones I looked for. When he built Vern Luce's coupe, and had it at Oakland, everybody was saying, if it was a roadster it would win the AMBR. The next year he built the roadster, and it won the AMBR. He built a yellow 32 roadster with a yellow interior, I thought it looked cool, that's why my roadster is getting a color matched interior. I need to finish that. RIP, Dean

27. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

29. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Since I hanged the Cadzzilla poster on my wall, life has not been the same.
    I was twelve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.