Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a ford 9"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkRodder, Feb 27, 2008.

1. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I have another post as I am looking for a rear end. I came across this. Does look like a Ford 9"?
    [​IMG]

2. Drive Em

Drive Em

Yes it is, looks like an early 60's truck rear end.

3. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Spins free, is this something I should try to grab up? If so what should I try to get it for?

4. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

easiest way to tell a 9'' is that you cannot get a socket and ratchet on the bottom nuts. yours looks to be a 9''.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Whats the width from wheel mounting surface(WMS) to WMS?
    Whats the gear ratio?
    Looks like the smaller housing so it wouldn't look too "heavy" under a Rod...

6. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Not sure I am going out on Saturday to measure. Forgot my tape today. He has a pile of rear ends so I am trying to find the good ones and buy them up if the price is right.

7. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

that looks to be a high pinion 9 inch. I would guess that the 4x4 crowd would be the most interested in this because of ground clearance.

8. squirrel

squirrel

or a normal "low pinion" 9" rear from a pickup, sitting upside down.

9. Play400

Play400

If you have to use a wrench on the bottom 2 nuts on the housing it's a 9".

10. Yeah, it's just sitting upside down. Looks like a good one. Buy it! Those older ones are hard to find in the junkyards around here. Usually all you can find around here are the ones from the '70s on Lincoln Continentals and old pickups, and they have bigger wider center housings. That smaller center housing makes it easier to mount four bars or four links if the springs are fairly close together. Looks nicer than the newer ones too. If you need it to be super strong for drag racing, one of the newer housings might be better, but that one's nice for most things you'd want to put it into. It doesn't look like it was big leaker either! Looks pretty clean.

11. It looks to me like a socket would go straight on to the bottom bolts. That would make it not a 9 inch.....and yes I see its upside down.

12. BigChief

BigChief

Uhh, thats deep well socket. And, yes, this is a 9" rear in the picture.

-Bigchief.

13. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

What would be a fair price? 100 to 150?

14. squirrel

squirrel

Maybe, but that depends on how much you need it, how many others are around in your area for what price, how rusty it is inside, how complete the brakes are, if it's the right bolt pattern for what you want (probably it's 5 on 5.5"), etc.

15. Abone29

Abone29

Another thing to look at is the axles.If they have a large oval depression in the center ,its a 28 spline.If it has 2 holes drilled in it then its a 31 spline.

16. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

...most of the time.

17. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

:D:D:D

CC

18. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I got a nice 9" from a '58 F-100, early ford big 5 bolt pattern, ready to install, good complete brakes, nothing needed, pulled from a daily driver. $200 if you wanna drive to Austin and pick it up. Not trying to spam, just letting you know.

19. LabRat

LabRat

yup truck 9 inch (saddles on top) grab it , give him $50 if your lucky its 31 spline an maybe short gearin too .

20. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

yep, looks like a 9" to me

21. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Ok I went back out there and discovered the thing was missing on axle. I found another one but it was to hard finding holes to tell what the spline count is.

22. Drive Em

Drive Em

I am 99% sure that it is a 28 spline rear end. I build and narrow 9" housings for a living and I have never seen a 9" of that vintage with 31 spline axles. The holes vs. large oval opening on the axle end is a great indicator on the small bearing '67-'73 Mustang/Cougar rear ends, but it doesn't work on the large bearing rear ends as I have seen 28 and 31 spline with both types of axle ends.

23. it's a 9", check the width it might be an early bronco if your lucky (58" i believe).

24. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

What about these two? The main input shaft turns on both of these. 50 bucks each are they worth cleaning up and working with? One of them if I turn the input shaft and hold the output shaft it does not turn. If I was to hold both output shafts would I then feel resistance? Arms weren't long enough to check that one out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Frank

Frank

Get the numbers off those metal tags and it will tell you the gear ratio among other things.

26. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Never seen a large bearing rear with the big open "double-D" - I believe Ford went to a single axle blank in the mid-70s, so all had the "3 dots" while most passenger car versions were turned down & splined to 28...

All the 4x4 rears I've ever seen were 31 spline, but I don't know if that's just my luck, or if Ford only did 'em that way...