Register now to get rid of these ads!

Artillery wheels:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rex Schimmer, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

If you were at the Roadster Show last weekend or the get together at So Cal,you probably saw the black primer duce with the black artillery wheels. They were 18s in the rear and 16s in the front, they were all steel and looked new. I have attached a couple of pics. The car was from Texas.

Does anyone know if these are something new or if this guy made them himself??? If someone is making them I'll guarentee him and order for 4 right away!

Rex

Attached Files:

2. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

He made those himself. I wrote a feature on the car a few years ago for R&C after I shot it at the Roundup. The centers originally came on a Plymouth.

3. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

The owner and the builder are both in my club.

From another thread:

The wheels were apparently made from multiple pieces, lots of machining, and the owner swore he'd never do another set.

4. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

I know THAT feeling! :D

5. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

If you supplied cores for the rear wheels I could make you a set just like that. The rears would be a little trouble but the fronts could be done easily.
    Jimmy

6. Moonglow

Moonglow

I'm using 17" Chevy artilleries on the rear of my Model A project. Another HAMBer turned me to running these with an eighties Toyota 4x4 truck rear end. The Chevy 6 lug pattern bolts right up to the Toyota rear end and it has a 4.10 gear set up to boot. Locker sets are readily available for these Toyota rear ends too. The Toyota truck rear end looks a lot like a 3/4 scale Ford 9" rear, so I don't think it'll look too strange.

There are 16" (or maybe it's 15") 5 lug pattern Artillery (Dodge I think?) out there that fit early Ford hubs, so you could run these up front and the 17" Chevys out back, if you don't mind the rice burner rear end.

Just a thought to come close to this look and avoiding the custom wheel route.

Good luck.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dam cant remember who the company is..but there is one i do know that is making new ones..your order..no returns so you have to be sure..if i run accross them again i will post

8. Squablow

Squablow

Buy yourself two 35 Plymouth 17" wheels and two 36 Plymouth 16" wheels. Those are the centers he used and they came in both sizes. You won't have 18" but 17's and 16's would look nice and not cost you nearly as much. They were all 5 on 4.5 so fits small Ford/Mopar pattern.

Or you could go with the 17" six lug Chevy wheels like Moonglow suggested with a Toyota rearend, they are also an attractive artillery wheel. I have an extra pair of those if you need some.

If you gotta have 18" wheels, get a whole set of the Plymouth ones and send Wheelkid a pair of them so he can reuse the centers into some different hoops. He'll make you pretty much whatever you want.

9. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Anyone have a side shot of this roadster with these wheels? Or a side shot of any other artillery wheels? Most of the shots of the Riley Roaster I've seen are blurry because of the indoor lighting. Need them for reference material.

BTW, are those radial tires?

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another hijacking question... what the hell is that grille insert? Custom? Rad car!

11. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

The grille insert is a pines winter front.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool! Thanks man! Sorry to hijack...

13. sololobo

sololobo

I see why you liked these babies!! Good eye Rex!! I'm sure your gettin that rig ready for cruzn on the salt flats!! Wish I could join ya at Bonny-Sololobo

14. Moonglow

Moonglow

Here's my project with 6 lug 17" Chevy's in the rear (on a modern Toyota pick-up rear end) and 5 lug 17's up front. I Had the front rotors drilled to accept the weird 4.25" x 5 lug pattern.

Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

15. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

check these out 17's in front 20's in back!

Attached Files:

16. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Hey cranium... what did you start with on the body? Looks bitchin.

17. Chad, those tires in the first pics are Excelsiors from Coker..........speed rated goodness. I want to know someone that has put a few miles on them.

18. Clark Kustoms

Clark Kustoms
    from las vegas

If your looking for somthing different. The front rims on this volksrod are Crysler 300 spares, There 18''x4'' .Dodge chargers have 17'' spares and can be ordered from the dealership for about 100 bucks. You will need the part number off of a rim in a car. My 42 dodge pickup will run some all around and im going to weld on clips for hubcaps.

Attached Files:

19. Those wheels pictured are to the first post as your buddies hot prom date is to "meet her cousin man, dude she is a nice girl"

20. youngrodder1929

youngrodder1929

there was also that 34 the was rod and custom a wile back they did this to a set of 34 pontiac artillery wheels. 17 in the front 18 s in the back i belive

21. inkundone

inkundone

im running 16's in the back and 17's up front on mine. both are 6 lug. since i cant find 17 inch cheater slicks im actually cutting two of my wheels down to 16's to make them work.

these will be black when im done
    [​IMG]

22. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Here I go...to use these wheels with that offset is dumb.
    From an engineers perspective the bearing load is all fucked up .Don't people ever 'think about why' the rim is where it is on a wheel? and do they ever think about bearing load ? Obviously not. But then that is a fuck up car anyway.
    [​IMG]

23. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

The car is my Dads newest project. The car started life as a 34 Dodge four door sedan

Attached Files:

24. Moonglow

Moonglow

Wow.........love the 20's! What are they from? BTW, very cool project.

25. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I've seen some 16" dodge artillery wheels with the 5 lug holes and other 16" dodge artillery wheels with 5 extra holes. What are they for and what did they both come off of originally?

We have 2 (of the first type) and I am looking for 2 more.

26. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

I have ford artillery wheels, 16' and I still lokk for the hubcaps...

Attached Files:

27. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Contact Jimmy (wheelkid here on the hamb), I think he's worked out a hubcap solution. I'm about to put the same wheels on my roadster,16x4.5 with 5 on 5 1/2 bolt pattern
    [​IMG]

28. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

29. Bad Luck Engineering

Bad Luck Engineering

So tell us the story behind the 20" rears... they look sweet.