Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who Remembers CARtoons..?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wingnutz, Dec 23, 2003.

1. I Love "Lager"...!!! And I didn't know they had a magazine...!!! Hahaha...

2. bigken

bigken

I read all those as a kid. dad had the 'grown-up' hot-rod rags, and I got 'CARtoons'. God I miss them. I'd usually read them at car shows, because my folks knew it'd keep from being REAL bored.

3. bigken

bigken

Dangit - can't make 'em out. Can ya post 'em bigger? I'm old. :D

4. Conder

Conder

There was so much TALENT. I use to get those magazines and imagine Trosley rolling to work in some sick hot rod, parking it next to EVERYBODY ELSE'S sick hot rod and then strolling into work where he drew bitchin' cars all day for huge money!

Imagine, drawing cars for money! What a cool life.

I had a real hard time with angles and perspective on cars and Trosley fixed that for me. Chicks with big boobs? By puberty, I had that !@#$ DOWN.

5. 46highboypu

46highboypu

That was my first "professional" sale. I sent some of my work in to CARtoons and got a nice letter back saying that at that time my artwork needed work but my gags were good. They bought two of my ideas and one ended up in Krass and Bernie on the back cover. It was about getting a new firesuit that turned out to be firemans suit. I even got credit...wow.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one that the Krass and Bernie for some reason stuck in my head. They ordered a T kit car, it arrived by train and they built it there on the platform. It ended up 6 wheeled with Le Mans style guards. There standing looking at it and a pic of whats it meant to be scratching there heads, in the last panel another guy walks up asking if they had seen his kit car too.
    At 10 that was SOOOOOOOOOOOOO funny..........

7. That was "BREWtoons" with Amber and Foamy! But I think you had to be 21 to buy those. :rolleyes:

8. george came up to my stand at the hot rod hoedown and talked with me for an hour
    he is a great guy and interested in your art

9. Found a website belonging to former CARtoonist Fred Boatman. He's offering a big book of his CARtoons artwork for sale. If you check his bio on the site he explains how he discovered just how important his artwork was to all us motorheads.

http://www.fredboatmancartoons.com/

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Great little site!

11. customcory

customcory

Fred Boatmen was always my favorite.:D

12. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I loved CARtoons as a kid. Used to buy every issue, sure wish I'd hung onto them.
    One of the later artists for the mag was John Larter. He lived in Calgary for awhile in the 90's and I hung out with him a bit. Really cool guy and a serious car nut. He had a nice big-block powered t-bucket at the time and was working for the Calgary Sun newspaper as a political cartoonist. You could see his hot-roddng background quite often in his drawings for the paper. I was flipping through the latest issue of OSR the other day at the grocery store and noticed he had a cartoon in there, so he's still at it.

13. duke182

duke182

wow this thread sat dormant for four years. now its six pages deep.such is the power of the hamb.
    i too have a large stack from the sixties(thanks cousins mike&larry)and a pretty decent number of the ones from the 80s.
    every one needs at least one copy in their collection.

14. I have MANY that the transfers are still in them.

15. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

16. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

boy, that was a trip down memory lane. great post!

17. Time to bump the Cartoons thread up again. Finally got out to the garage and dug out a box of old issues and did a little scanning. The first is a typically detailed Pete Millar cover of a driver "hanging out the laundry" at the finish line.

[​IMG]

I'd mentioned before that Fred Boatman was one of my favorite artists, but after leafing thru a few issues I was reminded that Jim Grube ranks pretty high up my list as well. Great line work, a nice "loose" feel, and you gotta love the exaggerated expressions and poses.

[​IMG]

I also found a couple of surprise contributors who I'd completely forgotten about. One of these is Terry Gilliam, who went on to become better known as an artist, animator and member of Monty
    Python's Flying Circus.

[​IMG]

And here's part of a page by Robt. Williams. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for more of these treasures.

[​IMG]

And if you're in the mood for a puzzle, here's a Pete Millar Christmas cover featuring caricatures of some of the more popular drag racers of the day. I think I see Garlits, Prudhomme, Dick Landy, Karamasines and maybe Dyno Don Nicholson. Can you put names to some of the other faces? Ooo...I think I see Wally Parks! But is that Ed Iskenderian wearing a Crower t-shirt?

[​IMG]

18. LabRat

LabRat

Yep i read CARtoons as a kid , but i would have ages to get them ....

19. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Man , that brings back some memories. I had a huge collection, t- shirt transfers included that got ruined when my dads basement got wet a few years ago. Now my oldest boy has learned about CARtoons, damn that would be cool to let him have my old collection. Oh,well.

Jeff

20. I read CarToons since I first learned how to read!
    A good friend through elementary school used to draw like the CarToons all the time but he put his own spin on them. He would draw our bikes with headers and big slicks. Loved his work!
    Last I heard from his mother, he became an automobile designer for one of the big 3 (forgot which one).

I truely miss this magazine.

BloodyKnuckles

21. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

I'm looking for this issue June65
    anybody got one
    would add nicely to my bathroom decor
    PM me

22. Conder

Conder

Hey folks, we need to track down George Trosley for some help with a Garage Magazine article. Please contact Brian Bounds ([email protected]) or me ([email protected]) if you have a way to get hold of him. I'll try his site too... Thanks, Tim

23. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

24. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I wrote them a letter when I was 11 or 12 years old and they published it in one of the mags. I thought I was famous.

I still have tons of them sitting in a box of keepsakes.

25. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Someone needs to build this! Gotta be my favorite Trosley pic!:D

[​IMG]

26. aceuh

aceuh

Bump for an awesome thread! I've been collecting these for a while now. And yes, 20 year old transfers still work great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. aceuh

aceuh

I've probably transfered a 1/2 dozen or so. I've thought about taking the scans and cleaning em up and lettting a buddy of mine print em directly to some shirts for me. I love wearin em!:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I had my letter published in that Car Toons magazine when I was like 12 or 13 years old. Late 80's. Don't remember what issue it was. When I saw it in there I freaked out. I though I was famous.

Can anyone check for me and let me know what issue my letter is in? The letter starts out " hey duds, ooops I mean dudes"

Stupid? I know. I was young.

My name is Shane Henderson

29. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"...Pete Millar and the first 4 issues ..."
    YES! I think the "Saga of Rumpsville" should be the Constitution and Secret Planning Document of the HAMB!

30. When I was about 10 or 11 (1970-71) I was with my Mom at an old junk store an found a box full of CarToons magazines, years later I realized that the box had issues #1 thru #24. I still have them too and look through them every once and a while. Great thread.