Register now to get rid of these ads!

o/t Hand grinder horror stories, who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead31coupe, Feb 19, 2008.

1. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

the other day i was grinding a peice of metal, that i was holding in one hand and sitting on a milk crate, i know not the smartist thig to do.... when someone come in the door. thats mostly all the time locked. i look up, and the grinder runs across the inside of my thigh 1/8 deep through my pants :eek: didnt even bleed, it must have Cauterized the wound..hurt like hell, big scar....

2. xbtnikx

xbtnikx

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">i got nicked at work once by one of those sanding discs that "stick" to the foam pad. the sanding disc shot off and hit me right inbetween my index and middle fingers. looked like a vag. got a couple stitches, wasn't so bad.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

3. blkcat77

blkcat77

what about getting your thumb stuck in a bench grinder wire wheel?

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

had a wheel explode into pieces back in 1978. one hit my nutsack, got a few stitches and spent the night in Mercy Hospital. good thing I have a small --- or ................

5. vicksrods

vicksrods

using a grinder with a cutoff wheel when the wheel exploded and a chunk of it stuck right between my eyes . By the time I got into the house I looked like a profesional wrestler with blood every where. My wife freaked out to say the least. Went the next day and bought a full face sheild.another time I had a wire wheel on the grinder and it kicked back and caught my shirt by the time I could unplug it I had a nice gash across the gut. mabye I should just leave that thing alone.

6. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Just recovering from a slice in my right knuckle. Got it with a flap disc. Went in the house and taped it up..went back out and promptly did it AGAIN in the exact same spot. Didn't even cut more flesh...just cut the bandage. Gonna be a helluva lump there.
    j

7. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

just today i had a wire wheel jump on me and fillet'd my top knuckled on my thumb...looks alot nastier than how it feels

8. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Got my hand drug into a chop saw in 2002.Piece that I was cutting was real small.Dumb me holding it with my hand instaed of something else.Well it get sucked into the back of the saw cutting the tip of my left middle finger off.Bleeding so bad I thought I was going to pass out.Not to mention I was at the house alone.Managed to get a hold of the wife and she drug my sorry ass to the hospital.

9. MERRELL

MERRELL

i caught a bad one at work about a month ago,had a diamond blade on a 4 1/2 in angle grinder cutting some concrete, it kicked back and sucked my index finger in..there was a 1/4in. wide slice in my finger down to the bone!!! the bone locked up the grinder...luckily!!

10. jetmek

jetmek

wheres tim the tool man allen when ya need him? i tried to check the alternator belt tension once ...with the engine running. pulled my glove and finger right thru the pulley faster the you can say oh shit. left the top of my finger and nail in the glove when i took it off. dumbass

11. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

I got a friend who was not so lucky. He lost one of the twins this way.

We got him to the hospital, and they could not stop the bleeding, so they had to remove one of his nuts.

After that, he became an bum, and is now a homeless drunk living on the street.

12. Lowbrow52

Lowbrow52

I took a nice chunk out of my hand a couple of months ago. Cut right through my gloves in a hurry. I thought it was worse than it was, but I am one blessed SOB and walked away once again with all ten fingers.

13. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

i was sittin on the frame of a 50 merc cuttin something off with a die grinder with a cutoff wheel when my ex coworker decided it would be funny to hipcheck me and it tweaked the grinder and exploded the disc my chin and right arm caught every single chunk. nothing like digging out chunks of cut off wheel out of your skin with needle nose pliers, i shoulda got them sewin up but said fuck it and just bandaged them.

14. hooligan1

hooligan1

It seems I am slways catching thegrinder with my fingers, once right between my middle and pointer fingers. Cut an 1/8th inch groove , can still see the groove left behind after nearly 10 years. I found out real quick that when you drop a grinder or cut-off wheel, THROW IT AWAY.... They like to explode

15. zbuickman

zbuickman

ohh yeah I played the digging the wheel out of you game before...... It feels sooooo good

16. throttle

throttle
    from sfsd

Working in metal fab shop you see alot of accidents.The latest ones were a cut off wheel exploding and catching a guy across the neck and face. Mostly just blood, but one big piece was stuck in his cheek and didn't want to come out. Our supervisor wouldn't let the guy pull it out, the doctor had to do it. The other was a wire wheel on a large two hand grinder that got wrapped up in a guys sweater. It twisted up hard enough to crack two of his ribs and stretch somewhat tear the skin on his stomach.

17. rstanberry

rstanberry
    from terrell tx

When I was in high school about a century ago two guys in metal shop were using a buffer driven by a v-belt. They turned it off and as it was coasting down one guy said "bet you can't grab the belt and stop it". Well he tried but couldn't, cut off about three fingers slick as you please. He's now a seven fingered dentist. Probably retired by now. DONT SCREW AROUND WITH ROTATING MACHINERY!!

18. swimeasy

swimeasy

I had a paper cut one time!

19. Had a steel sliver in my finger that I couldn,t pull out. It kept snagging my other finger and was beginning to piss me off. Little voice said take it out with the grinder. That worked great!!! Two days later I ended up with a sausage for a finger as it became totally infected. Trip to the doc where the bastard cuts it open and squeezes out all of the pus etc. Take all my antibiotics and then.....I now have severe trigger finger due to the scarring of the tendon. All due to a little sliver.

20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Geeez....After seeing several of these posts months back I put the guards back on my 4-1/2" grinder and my cut-off wheel.
    I've always been good with safety glasses. Sounds like a leather apron, face shield might not be a bad idea....and a cup..

21. junkyardroad

junkyardroad
    from Colorado

I was cleaning the frame of my 54 Ford with a 6 inch wire cup on a 6000rpm industrial grinder, while sitting, in shorts. Had almost made it all the way around the inside, my arms were getting pretty tired. The cup loaded on an edge, and, guess what, bucked right down onto my right leg.
    First thought: need a skin graft. Made it into the house with paper towels on the hole, got the bleeding stopped in the bathtub. I used all the gauze and tape we had. Made it halfway to the door and felt it let go again.
    I sat down hard on the carpet to apply pressure. Remember, now, I was previously on the floor of the garage. When everything was under control again, I stood and looked back at the big black ass print on the floor and realized that now I was really in trouble.
    She never has said a word about that stain. Pretty trippy seeing your muscles work. They're purple.
    I have made and occaisionally repeat every mistake in the book. Does that mean I'm stupid, or know humility, or want to drive my hot rod so much that I hurry to much? (rhetorical question)

22. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i think im going to be sick........as a retired sheet metal worker i can picture everything you guys are saying very vividly......... so heres mine, i was an apprentice 2nd year and i was using a 7" grinder with a hard disc to clean some welds off of a platform to weld a set of stainless handrails on. my mechanic said he would be back just finish what i was doing. well when he got back he tapped me on the shoulder to let me know he was there and as i looked up at him, the grinder took off and ran up my leg towards my you know whats. after screaming like a little girl i had him look at it to see how bad it was before i took a look. turned out it wasnt that bad and like someone else here, it cauterized as it dug a 3/8 groove up the inside of my thigh missing my you know whats BARELY.

23. solo_909

solo_909

WTF?!?!?! Strange fact to give us lol

24. 53chieftian

53chieftian

Sittin on my creeper seat wearin shorts cleanin up the edge of a piece of sheet metal when I catch the edge and drop 4-1/2 in electric grinder...... quick close knees and catch it...... good save. Knees must have been pushing the safety cuz when I grabed it with my hand weeeee..... mowed down the back of my calf about 3 inches below the knee. Never really bled but sure got infected. Took care of it myself and now its a pretty cool scar.

25. aw shit,
    I'm sitting here readin' the H.A.M.B. 'cus I cant work on the coupe and what do I see,"oh the horror". the very reason I'm reading and not working. Two weeks ago I buoght a new 9" grinder "to do what grinders do" just as I get the new blade on and go to fire the beauty up, the wife steps out the door and scares the livin' shit out of me, well I dopped the damn thing and it bounced up, so I went to grab it, yep, one hand on the guard and one on the trigger,,, long story short in the last two weeks I've had to have two surgeries to repair a cut tendon just behind my right thumb knuckle, The picture is after the first surgery, had to go thru it all over again, now in a cast for eight yeah 8 fucking weeks no work for me.:mad::mad:
    Dumd ass me I didn't realize I had already plugged it in.

Rule #1: No women in the shop less their naked..........

Oh yeah,, now we have a system in place, if she needs me;
    to fucking bad, she'll just have to wait!!!

Attached Files:

26. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

Not a grinder. Have a grinder scar healing on the other hand.

This was from cutting new wood (and old fingers) for an early T Model.
    [​IMG]

27. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I've got two, about 3 weeks ago I was cleaning up a set of motor mounts for my truck. My dad yelled something from the other side of the shop, me not paying attention ran the grinder across my palm...cauterized it, used tranny fluid to clean it up at the shop, and then when I got home I let it soak for a while in peroxide. It's almost healed up now.

Second one, I was using the little grinding disc on my dremel to finish up a head board I was making. Disc exploded, got a chunk in my arm, and a couple in the chest, the rest went in the drywall. I had to have those dug out. Didn't feel good, and the scars are gone...

28. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Watched a buddy of mine drill an 1/8" hole while laying under a car. He was using a dull bit, so he pushed on the drill harder & then moved so he could use his upper body weight on the drill. The bit busted & he drilled an eigth inch hole in his "willie".
    Never saw a white man dance like that before!

To this day, he denies it happened.

29. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

That's exactly what happen to my Bro-In-Law back in the 70's. He was grinding on the fender of his '36 Ford truck and the backing plate exploded and hit him in the nuts, poor guy was laid up in bed for a week. You know how you should go and make a sick person feel better? Well I went over to cheer him up and he didn't appreciate me coming over and telling jokes to cheer him up and making him laugh..... The Ingrate!:D

30. Cruiser

Cruiser

flathead31coupe,

:eek: After reading about all this blood, I need a long neck bottle of beer. Safety is the first thing on my mind at all times when working on cars. I had a shop teacher in high school who instilled the safety first imprint on my mind. Thank you Mr. Toltarola San Pedro High School. All these years and only a small nip from a hand grinder and a piece of metal in by eye. The eye thing only left a small scar on the eye. The funny thing was I was wearing goggles and a full face mask the little piece of metal still found a way in. LUCKY..............
    SAFETY FIRST GUYS.....................

CRUISER :cool: