Register now to get rid of these ads!

HOW TO: ipod into hotrod without a radio

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by negativeMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. look, the ipod hook up is EASY. it takes up less space, it's easier to hide, and you don't have to store all your cd's someplace.

here's what ya do.....

get an ipod.

go to your local stereo shop or shop online, but beware that alot of these products do not carry a warranty if purchased online.

the first thing you need is a PAC a/v output adapter. this will provide an audio signal output and charge your ipod while driving.

[​IMG]

next you'll need a PAC lc-1 volume control. this will allow you to control the volume. most shops use these for subwoofer control, but it's really just a potientometer. should be easy to disguise it with a dashknob. you need this, because when use the ipod output instead of the headphone jack, you will not have volume capability on the ipod itself.
    [​IMG]

these 2 parts should run around 50 bucks^^^^^^^^^

next you'll need an amplifier. any amp with rca inputs will do. for a small, clean, and cool running amp, i suggest the alpine PDX series. they're digital so you can stash them anywhere and not worry about them running hot. and they are pretty small for a powerful amp. not the cheapest, but very good.

of course you'll need speakers too.

mount your amplifier wherever you choose. be sure to put an inline fuse at least 12" from the battery. next hook up your speakers to the amplifier. speaker placement will depend on type of car etc.., so i won't go into that.

mount your LC-1 behind the dash, or inder or wherever. the knob just pulls off a splined shaft, and a small 8mm nut holds it in the mount. i usually remove it from the mounting box for more custom installations.

run an rca from the output side of the LC-1 to the input side of your amplifier.

next choose a spot you want your ipod. you'll need to run an rca from the a/v adapter cable to the input side of the LC-1. you'll also need a 12+ and ground wire run to the a/v cable to charge your ipod while driving.

ok, after all this is done, plug in your ipod to the a/v cable. make sure the gain control on the amplifier is all the way down. turn the LC-1 all the way up. choose a song and play it on the ipod. while the song is playing, adjust the amplifiers gain control up until the music starts to distort. now back off a bit and you've set your volume at max and should help your equipment live a long full life. ( if you amp has a crossover network, i usually set the x-over point at around 120hz highpass. it eliminates alot of distortion and will allow higher volumes. it's not the the most accurate for fine tuning, but in a car with loud exhaust, squeaks, etc...volume is a bit more important!)

so there ya go, everything you need to use an ipod in your car without the use of a headunit, or cheesy ipod speakers.
    i would do a step by step tech, but i'm sitting at the airport waiting to ship-out, so i don't have access to a camera, or hot rod for that manner!! i'll do a complete one when i get back!

LOU WELLS and Jim the Sweep like this.
  2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Exactly like I do it...

3. Stroked

Stroked
    from DFW, TX

I like it :cool:

My ipod goes everywhere with me, but my coupe will never see a modern head unit... this definitley a good compromise.

- Matt

4. butch27

butch27

Ship Out sounds like Iraq. Take care of yourself and your buddies.

5. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

thanks, I was wondering where to put a radio in my 40

6. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Why dont ya just use the headphone out right into the amp with a $2.99 cable from anywere (target wallmart rite aid etc)? Thats what I do and retain the volume on the I-pod

7. bigken

bigken

Matt, thanks for the 'tech'. I've been wondering where to stash some tunes/speakers.
    Keep your ass safe over there, and get your tail back here ASAP.
    Later man - BigKen

8. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Thats how I play the MP3s on my cell phone.

9. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Pretty neat, how far we've come since a 1940's AM-only tube radio that took up 1/3 of the dash.

10. flatoz

flatoz

good idea to use a modern approach in a old car without having to butcher any of it, or try to hide a big arse headunit.

11. Abomination

Abomination

Think how much a guy could make reselling crap to put iPods into cars? I wonder if http://www.ipodyourrod.com is available? Hell, I could resell, AND drop-ship everything. I wouldn't have to keep ANYTHING in stock. I could put together complete packages...

~Jason

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Because you lose sound quality that way... And you have multiple cables leaving the ipod if you want to charge it.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HEY! NEAT! I dig it! I was thinking about this very thing the other day. I would like to do this for road trips. I won't use a stereo for around town driving, but thought if I wanted some tunes for road trips this would be a bitchin' idea!

14. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

Thank you for the information, I am at doing the repair and design of the interior of my 54 F100 project. Next weekend is the dash so now I know what holes I need to leave. and online I found the size I need for the Amp.
    again thanks

jim h

15. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

you would have multiple cables because one to charge would be great but the headphone out is just an amplified version of the line out on the connector you will not lose sound quality!

16. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Will this process work for an XM Inno too?
    http://reviews.cnet.com/satellite-radio-tuners/pioneer-inno-xm/4505-7873_7-31824917.html

It is basically an iPod but with XM capabilities. I suppose it has the same ports/jacks as an iPod. I want to figure out a way to wire all of my cars so I can just move the Inno around depending on what I'm driving. And yes, I realize I will need an antenna.

I'm getting ready to do this in the Chevy. Any advice appreciated.

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Now you tell me after I spent a couple of hundred on a new CD player......:rolleyes:

Actually Megan has been saying this is the route for me BUT I'm an old dog.....:D

Will you have you set up at the RoundUp? Perhaps I can take a look at it and you can show me just how easy it is to use.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Bud Crane never had an Ipod

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Its so simple I'm confident you could do it yourself.

20. ian

ian

very efficient. thanks for the information.

21. Rusty

Rusty

Well looks like I wont be cruising around with my ipod earphone anymore

22. Sean

Sean

The SNR of the head phone out compared to the Line out (dock connection) is minimal, within a db or two depending on which gen iPod you own. The Wolfsan DAC's were updated in gen 3 iPods.

We are talking 98db SNR for the headphone out verses 100db SNR for line out. You will most likely never hear the difference. The real issue at hand would be the quality of your files. Do you encode in a lossless format like ALAC, WAV or AIFF, or a low bit rate MP3?

Since the headphone out works like a preamp with EQ and volume control you can just run right into a two channel amp and with battery run times of 30-40 hours I rarely need to charge it in the car.

Good info none the less.

23. Abomination

Abomination

If I did start up a small business venture that sold stuff (and only stuff) to put an iPod into your rod, with or without a radio, would anybody be interested?

24. Very good info. Thanks very much. Now, how to add my XM Roady unit? Then I'll have everything I want for music in the car.

25. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

yepper...but, why hasn't this been dun?...

26. 8flat

8flat

...or build a custom PC case, super small mother board, big hard drive, and store all of your songs on-board. Call it an iRod.

oh forget it....

27. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

this is a non starter you can get everything you need in any of the following stores for super cheap
    Wall mart, Target, Fred Myer, Rite aid, K mart, Radio Shack
    An Audio connection cable is under 5 bucks

http://www.target.com/6-Y-Adaptor-8...v&field-browse=3524091&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=6

and a car charger is under $15

http://www.target.com/Belkin-Mobile...field-browse=194069011&rank=pmrank&rh=&page=8

Most of these stores sell amps and speakers too

28. Abomination

Abomination

Hey, I was in talks with a company to make a pull-out stereo-type docking bay enclosure for the Mac mini that would fit in a standard radio bay, but that's a story for a different time. :) Not for this market at all...

~Jason

29. Abomination

Abomination

Of that there is no doubt - it is cheap.

My intent was to put together an all-in-one package for folks that just want to get it all in one place and have it all just work, never to rip folks off. Granted, there would be some small profit to be made, but it would be less than you'd spend to hunt around for all the parts, do the research, and put the whole package together yourself.

After all, it was just a passing thought. Nobody sells a complete kit, to my knowledge. Seemed like folks might want that.

~Jason

30. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Within a week of Apple announcing the Ipod ,I had a mate do exactly this,but to disguise his jack he used a point on the becker mexico radio in his Mercedes and the radio just acts like a front,the switch only turns the amp on and off and a hand held remote works it .1960's looks with 2008 sound.
    it's not new idea by any means but simplicity rules as far as i'm concerned and most modern CD players etc look like they belong in ricers.

Jim the Sweep likes this.