Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Perfect Chop for 34 Highboy Pickup?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppedsled, Feb 17, 2008.

1. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Hello all. I'm getting ready to lower the lid on my 34 pickup. Before I dig in I'd like some opinions on how much to remove. I'm shooting for a late 50's to early 60's lakes inspired look. I'd like a fairly radical chop, but too much is way worse than too little. It will remain a fenderless highboy for the time being, maybe a channel job down the road. 5" is what I've been planning for. I've been looking for a pic of a truck I saw on the net thats inspired me. Maybe someone on here knows of it. It's a 32-34 highboy, red oxide primer, 4 banger with yellow driving lights. The pic I saw of it was at the salt flats. It's the perfect look I'm after. Thanks in advance for the advice.

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Channel job down the road to me would be 4"

3. Are you talking about this truck?

CBB

Attached Files:

4. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Ahhh !....Yes ! Thats the truck. You guys are amazing. Thats the chop that I'm after. Any idea of the specs on it ?

5. That is not my truck, but I was under the impression that a 4 inch chop was perfect for this style of truck.

CBB

6. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

"loogy" on here knows all about it.
    His dad owns it.

I first saw that truck back in the early 90's.??
    At a stupid drive in cruise,tons of pastel street rods,Camaro's and cry baby dolls.
    It was and is a stand out.And a wierdo Volvo motor no less...

7. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

I was set on 4" for a long time. As I've gotten closer to starting the chop I really am questioning the final amount. That truck just looks spot on for my tastes, but looks like more than 4". With a chop like that I proubly wouldn't think of channeling it. It looks great as is, and cab room would become an issue. OK, so who owns that pickup? Anyone have a pic of a 5" chop ?

8. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

OK, so you already answered my question, thanks! I'll see if I can pm " loogy " and get some details. A Volvo motor? I never would have guessed in a million years.

9. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

We built a 33 pick-up at my shop with a 4 1/2 inch chop. sorry, I am not good at posting pictures, you can see it on my website.
    Jimmy White

10. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

hemi coupe, this one right?

Attached Files:

• CCJW.jpg
      CCJW.jpg
      File size:
      97.1 KB
      Views:
  11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

this one is 6"

Attached Files:

12. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

4" chop, 4" channel. Interior room was no issue with bucket seats, I'm 6'1".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Jimmy White, I've got pics of that 33 saved on my pc. The build pics on your site are great, beautiful truck, great work. slddnmatt, the chop looks nice. 6" may be a bit much for me but very helpfull. I've seen a 7" chop and thats just crazy. Still leaning towards 5", the wife says 6" but I'm the practical one...lol

14. VonKool13

VonKool13

Your truck is killer man, Good Job!!
    And I see it is a TV star, extra brownie points to you!!:p

15. hillbillyhell

hillbillyhell

Eh, t'was the only pic I had of the truck with humans, to put size in perspective. I should add the disclaimer that the two humans in said picture are 5'5" or so. Maybe Dave will chime in with his actual height.:D

16. My '34 truck has a 4 inch chop, I like the hieght to cab size. With the visor it just seem's about right to me, but it is your truck you should do what you want.

But I am in love with the '33 that jimmy did, I have seen it in person and it is amazing.

CBB

17. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

4 inch chop,full channel over frame and a 2.5 cut grill............

[​IMG]

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Took another inch out of the top..... making it a 5 and liked a full grill(not in proper placement),,,,, no chop,

[​IMG]

19. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

Jeff, I'm about sold on the 5" chop. Thanks for the two pics, the compairison between the two is amazing for a 1" diff. My wife thinks I'm nuts for over analyzing everything, but it's the planning that makes for a great rod. Do ya mind me asking what tire size combo are on the 4" chop version?

20. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Is that a model A bed on this truck? I like this truck also.

We have an original 32 bed but I kinda like that look as well.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thanks choppedsled.

The tire combo has never changed.As a matter of fact, I have 3 wheel/tire combos for my ride.Here they are as follows.....

(Shown)Front wheels-15x5 Rear wheels-16x7/Front tires-15x5.50 Firestone champs Rear tires-16x7.50 Firestone Champs---COKER
    46 Mercury Monarch caps and trim rings

Second tire/wheel combo/Front wheels-15x5 chrome steelies/front tires-15x5.00 wide white Firestone champs(coker) Rear wheels-16x7 chrome steelies with Firestone wide white Champions(16x7.50)(Coker)

Third wheel/tire combo/-15x4.5 Americans with 15 inch Sprint tires
    rear wheels/16x8.5 Americans with 16x10 Hurst pie crust Slicks
    (These are for having fun.)

My truck is a 32,but there is very little difference between that and a 34.....only the body reveal on the back of the cab.(but of course,you knew that)

22. choppedsled

choppedsled
    from Spokane WA

I love that 15 / 16 wheel setup. It works really well on your truck. Reason I ask is I'm ordering up a new set of wheels / tires today from Coker. I haven't seen many with that combo, usually straight 15's or 16's. Many thanks for the help.