Register now to get rid of these ads!

Frog Follies - need opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendettaautofab, Feb 17, 2008.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

I have never been to Frog Follies, but have always heard its a great event. I am thinking about signing my shop up as a vendor there. Its about a 5 hour trip, just curious as to others thoughts as a specator, car entrant or vendor, if you were.

2. one word for you.................

HOT! ! ! ! ! ! !

to the point I can't take the heat anymore & won't go. Great Show otherwise....joe

3. 46highboypu

46highboypu

It's a great show. Not "traditional", they welcome everyone upto '48. I've been for years and have never been disappointed. Be ready for rain, it will rain one day of the three sometimes with a storm, and yes it's southern Indiana in the summer time so it's hot and sticky humid. But the cars are top notch and 3 or 4 thousand of them. I don't know how many spectators but I've had to park a mile away before so I would say lots. Check their web site.
    I hope I can go in the front gate this year.

4. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Right on... I figured it would be hot, and it seems to rain one day at nearly every show we go to.

How are the facilitys? Nice place? Good accomodations?

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Ive been for almost every year ive been alive besides the last couple years because I went to the hamb drags. Its a pretty good show. For a participants point of view and a member of this forum, the hamb drags is more fun but as a vendor you would probably do pretty good there. The fairgrounds are a little crowded but I guess thats better than there not being enough cars there.

6. rpol7966

rpol7966

The event is held at the 4-H fairgrounds which has many facilities. It's spread out over lots of rolling acres with a lot of shade available. It is hot! A good thing is, the food prices are not inflated. They sell great ice cream at a really good price! You don't get raped for the food.
    There are lots of motels in Evansville but most are booked a year in advance. We stay about 5 miles north of the show north on Highway 41 at the intersection of I-64. It's a whole lot less traffic than going south to Evansville.
    It's a great show with the majority of the cars being street rods. The mix of cars is like most shows out there.
    The show it put on by a local club with ALL proceeds going to charity. They have raised thousands of dollars over the years. This alone makes the show worth going to!

7. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Hamb Drags

8. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a great show, large turnout of cars, cheap food

9. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Went once, won't go back.

10. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Whys that? I am open to all, good and bad here, I have never been, just curious

11. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Been going for many years now, it's nothing fancy but probably one of the most laid back and relaxing runs I've ever been to, the E-ville Iron guys take great pride in this show and it's charities. Sign up and check it out, I don't think you"ll be disappointed. Did someone mention the great food, and by the way it's cheap.

12. yngrodder

yngrodder

It is a really good show and pretty much what everyone else has said It gets Hot, but at least there is shade, I enjoy going beings it is a family event something for the wife and kids to do. There are people that take the frogs to an extreme but thats whats fun to them. It is mostly street rods but they are all car people to. Good vendor area lots of new vendors and some good swap meet stuff there to. You should go one time anyway.

13. Crestliner

Crestliner

Glad you started this thread. About forgot to send for my spaces. April 15th is the cut off date for last years vendors to register. After that first come first served.

14. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Crestliner....swap or commercial vendor? Your comments on the spaces? I take it you liked it, as your going back....its cheap enough

15. i've been selling garage junk there for 10 years. wouldn't miss it. great swap meet crowd, lots-o-dollars. everything is priced right. most vendors leave real happy. from the big ones to the small ones. same vendors come back almost every year if that tell you anything. swap spaces have gone up over the years but still real reasonable. 10x20 i think was $40 last year.

friday morning is pretty strong, saturday morning is a monster (get there early) sunday morning fairly strong droping off to the scavengers by noon. vendor can set up on thursday, i've heard that the big vendors (tractor trailer types) can set up on wensday.

couldn't tell you alot about the car show. i only go up on the hill usually once each year. it's real laid back. the only trophys they give out are special awards. like "best mail slots" (lowest chop) and things of that nature. no "show judging" it's a rod run not a car show.

about 10 or 12 years ago the temperature never got above about 72*, but, ever since then it feels like about 150*. it's normally about 98* and humid as hell. the back luck with rain has gotten to the point that about 2 years ago the event shirts said "got rain?"

i usually sell about 2 grand worth of stuff that most of it should be in a dumpster. they love junk.

16. Retro61

Retro61

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100&#37;" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I've been goin' since i was a kid! Yes, it gets pretty hot! Alot of high dollar Street Rods, but as the years go by, there are more and more Traditional Rods showing up. It is a comfortable time, lots of shade to cool off, and the food is prepared and sold by the host club, and you won't find it anywhere any cheaper! Lots of Vendors, and the swap meet is Huge! Alot of good stuff to be found, and the swap meet to me is better than the Nationals!
    '07 was the first year for me to be able to drive through the gate, and i had a really good time. Even though a few have said they "won't go back" i believe you would enjoy it, and you would probably do well as a vendor (it seems everyone else does!) Most vendors that are there, always come back each year, and more are added!!
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

17. Crestliner

Crestliner

Commercial vendor is 60.00 for a 10x20
    Swapmeet is 40.00 for same size
    I've been setting up for probably 20 years,maybe longer. It was a small show when I started. They let me set up as a commerical vendor. Gets me under roof, with electric, fan sure does feel good.
    They have changed the vendors around and most are over the hill and my sales have been down last couple years. Figure gas prices have alot to do with it.

18. crestliner, i got stuck over there one year by accident. right at the end of the car corral just down from mcculloghs in the grass. hardly sold a thing. i think everyone hits the gravel first. i know it's hot over there but sales are much better.

19. Deadbird

Deadbird

Been there three times now. Great swap meet. Hot and humid, but that's the midwest for ya. Really want to make it to the HAMB drags, but Evansville is closer to home. Pretty cheap weekend for me and my son.

20. 32Rules

32Rules

Grat show
    Northern Indiana Here and I drive my 32 5 window down.
    Been there the last 3 years.
    Lots of fun and lots of good home built cars.
    Check in the photos
    Youll see my 5 window there.
    Red with blue scallops.

21. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

My brother drives from mid Missouri to the Frog Follies on the Thursday night of the event. He spends Friday at the Frog Follies and drives home on Friday night. He gets up early Saturday morning and makes the three hour drive to Joplin for the HAMB Drags. He is usually having a cup of coffee in the parking lot when many people are just wandering out of their rooms at the host hotel. So you can do both. He drives his 48 Chevy pickup to the Frog Follies and when he comes to the drags he flat tows his track T behind the same truck.

John

22. Yep.

What nobody has mentioned is the swap in Spingfield MO the same weekend as the HAMB drags. Get a spot there---it's really big with a lot of foot traffic. You can put the Frog Follies swap in half of the front parking lot of Springfield :eek: Set up there and sell all day Friday and Sat till 2 or 3, then haul ass to Mokan for the drags:cool:

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Meeting and hanging out with you, your brother and the rest of the MO boys in the motel parking lot (2001?) was the highlight of the event for me. ;)

I was disppointed when I arrived at the fairgrounds on that Friday morning in the POURING rain only to find tarps staked to the ground, yellow caution tape, chairs and lowered tents ALL OVER. It put the same crap that you see in L'ville to shame there was so much of it. I had trouble finding a place to park and there wasn't even any cars there. I guess that kind of soured me on the whole event.....that and the fact that I'm not into frogs and really don't understand the concept of decorating your car with stuffed animals.:eek:

To each his own though, if you have a good time there by all means attend. It is hard for me to imagine someone on this board choosing to attend the Frog Follies over the HAMB Drags.....just hard to comprehend.:confused:

I prefer to drive a few more hours and attend an event more to my liking....HAMB Drags.

24. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

I guess I didnt realize they were the same weekend...

25. HotRodDriver

HotRodDriver
    from Oklahoma

I've been to them both - Drags for me.

Rod

26. 48fordcoe

48fordcoe
    from In

woo! I drove in Sat morning about 8 with 2 truck and park in the shade a really nice spot ..I like the show ,and the cars , truck that show up. I be back

27. guess what. it is hot in august.
    it is a great show and swap meet.the evilleclub has a great support base from the city. they like for us to be there and show it.
    crestliner lives close by and has a LARGE supply of neat stuff.
    he sold me a nos set of sealedbeam adaptors for my 39 deluxe ford last year.jim:)

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

29. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I've been going to the frogs all of my life. It is a great family oriented cheap show. Yes, getting a "good" shady spot can sometimes be a bitch but they have improved the situation in recent years. I went to the HAMB drags for the first time last year and I will defiantly be going again this year. But, then again my parents go to the Frogs and not the HAMB drags so I don't have to deal with them. (A BIG plus when your 20.)

If you are a vendor though I would think that you are going to make more $$$ at the Frogs.