Register now to get rid of these ads!

What makes a striper great?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigEd, Feb 15, 2008.

1. BigEd

BigEd

Been reading a long-running thread on favorite stripers and would like your opinions on what makes a striper great. Unique designs, symmetry of design, use of colors are all things that come to my mind, but I'm certainly not an artist. What are your criteria?

2. a shake-able rack???

3. being able to do a split and still be able to take the bill with their teeth has always been a plus!:D

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

Well that and....OH, Wait....DOH, you mean....

5. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, she's got to have large headlights and a small frame. :D

6. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

7. and a great rear bumper..

8. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

Steering this thread back on track, (what a bunch of degenerates, LOL). I like designs that are uniqe, line quality and unifority are tops to me. Above all though, knowing when to stop and put the brush down. Less is more in more cases than not.

9. Rusty

Rusty

Large headlights are a must, keep eye contact, but the main thing to me is she has got to use the pole

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Proper use of color......
    I've seen some very nice striping by well known stripers, but the colors didn't compliment the item striped.....

11. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

i think a key to a good striper is their ability to adapt to what they're striping.
    some guys do more of a modern style on an older style car
    or put scroll type work on a car that it doesnt fit with

thats one of the biggest things that bothers me with striping is seeing a car straight out of 1955 that has 1970's pinstriping on it....

some people are good at adapting themselves to what they're working on, while other guys just do "their own" thing no matter what.

Zach

12. Senica

Senica

13. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Knowing when to say " finished". Nothing worse than too much !

14. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Part of the challenge here is if the customer is paying for it, you can suggest but the man with the money gets what he wants, regardless of taste.

Example. I am not a big fan of red and white together, I would rather use a cream or ivory to get a richer ( in my opinion ) looking result. I usually suggest it but end up doing red and white as per the customers request.

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Easy... when they tell you they are.

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Someone who's ability you can trust without having to worry when you say " do what you want, go at it." Knowing when to stop I think also comes with an experienced striper. I also agree with Zach with knowing how to adapt to the style and time period of the vehicle...very good point.

Just my 2cents

17. Impossibly fine lines and good use of color. As many as 3 complimentary colors in an elaborate work ( more than that is overkill ) . Pinstripping in the Von Dutch tradition works but some of his stuff was just over the top. Sometimes less is more if that makes sense.

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Yeah, that was going to be a question I wanted to present to the stripers.
    Personally, if someone wants me to stripe something and I think their color or design choice is going to look crappy....I WON'T do it....it is, after all, my art and my name attached to it....he can take his $$$ elsewhere.....I don't stripe to get rich, I just enjoy it....

I had a truck I had built, painted it light met blue with darker blue flames and grey interior. I had striped the tailgate and a few lines on the dash in blue and silver. I latter sold the truck and the new owner took the truck to a "professional" striper and most of my striping was removed. The truck was restriped with GREEN???? around the flames and green/blue on the tailgate.....looks like SHIT......as there is no other green on the truck....major clash...but then....I'm just a HACK.....

I wonder sometimes if it's the customer or the striper choosing.....since alot of customers will just say "do what looks good".....ya know????

19. WTF! thats like putting a beard on the mona lisa!

20. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Definite sign of a good guy is his ablility to keep the project from becoming a circus wagon. :D

21. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

two things...1: it's pinstriping, not pinstripping. you stripe, not strip...well, you might strip to pay for your striping habit. who's to say :D

2: A good striPer (not stripper ;) ) also has to have lines that end somewhere. To me, leaving a line out in nowhere looks bad. look at a good stripers handi-work and you'll never see a line that just stops, it always ends somewhere. consistency of lines too is important...wait, that's 3 things...

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A good striper has to be confident enough to sell the mistakes and good enough to repeat it backwards. She's also got to be able to get all the paint out of her brush!

23. Notice that no one said they wanted them to be fast.

24. ryno

ryno

Very good point.

25. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Being able to pick up a wet dime from the bar without using her hands:)