Register now to get rid of these ads!

jerks who call on your cars you have for sale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dyce

Dyce

I've sold alot of stuff on e-bay. I find it really depends on the type of car you sell. Different type cars like late 1970's Trans-Am, Camaro, muscle cars, motorcycles, etc... Bring out a whole different crowd than if you try selling 1930's Ford, Chevy, Dodge ect.... The guys looking for the older cars in general have there shit together. Deals go much easier. I parted out a '78 trans am and all the people called me Dude.... Like Dude, does it like have alot of rust?

2. tomcat46

tomcat46

At least I could use a trash can. WTF would I do with a golf cart?

3. Nailhead

Nailhead

Take it off some sweet jumps ???:p

4. Groucho, your such a pimp ;)

5. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Never argue with an idiot...they will bring you down to their level every time.

6. Bassfire

Bassfire
    from Mart, Tx.

Have any of you ever had a friend send a possible buyer for your car and "helping" you out by telling the buyer that you will take much less than what you are asking for it? I've had this happen several times this past year and I'm talking several thousand dollars less than what it's worth. Still have the car. Think I'll just keep it, it's fun to drive with a big block, 4 sp.

7. axle

axle
    from Drag City

75% of people who call and/or email about cars for sale are nothing but tire kickers and aren't really interested.

8. Nailhead

Nailhead

btt for some more amusement !!!:p

9. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

[​IMG]
    Thanks Steve, for posting this, my kind of guy, I wish I needed cinderblocks, I would buy them from him because this ad rules.
    People are stupid.

10. 2 very inportant things here. (My God, I'm in tears, I'm so joyful) ONE, I can just hug this guy for a perfectly worded Ad. TWO, Kudos to Craigs List for allowing the beautiful, poetic dialogue. I'm in friggin heaven ova heah. I'm gonna read it again

11. Ya Cain't Fix Stupid!!!

12. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

i have a 76 kawasaki for sale. i have had 5 people leave non refundable deposits on it. if i can get a few more i'll have made my money and still have a bike to get rid off.

this is why my family has 25 or so cars sitting out in the woods. easier to push it out back than sell it.

13. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

i am fixing to put my 51 Ford up for sale ,and you guys are scaring the daylights out of me!!!! with the stories of complete idiots that you have dealt with makes me want to double the asking price and have the shotgun in hand to weed them out. but i have never really had to deal with ads and stuff when i sold any of my cars. i usually tell my buddies and if they dont buy it then a friend or family member they know will.

14. phat rat

phat rat

It may sometimes be annoying and aggravating but don't let it get to you. While it sometimes seems as though there is an endless supply of jerks that's only because we tend to remember the jerks and forget all the great experiences. Like the time years ago when a guy came to look at a 52 ht I had. After looking it over we bs'd a bit and all of a sudden he pulls out a wad of bills and says I guess I'll take it. That was the first clue I had that he was going to buy it.

15. autobilly

autobilly

There's sure some wierd ideas gettin' around out there. Hard to keep cool sometimes, gotta stay outa jail though.

16. ratty46

ratty46

Man, this thread has been great! Reminds me of why I`ve still got this damn suburban in my yard. when I bought it, the guy hadn`t gotten the title back from where he`d just registered it. when I went to pick up the title, he asked what I`d sell it back to him for. I told him I`d take what I`d given him plus what I`d spent on fixing it. He took my phone number and said he`d call me the next day when he collected for a truck he had sold. Fast forward three months or so. One night about ten `o-clock the same guy knocks on my door asking again about the sub. Same basic conversation, same price. Takes my number again and everything. That`s been about 1-1/2 months ago. since then another guy has done basically the same thing on the same vehicle. What the hell is wrong with people???????

17. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I have a friend that was trying to sell a fox body mustang a long time ago when he was about 19 years old. This guy talks my friend into bringing it up to his place of business. The guy runs the living shit out of the car. Keeps downing the car, wants to drive it with the nitrous on. My friend says no. There was more but I cant remember.This guy just was a total ass hole. Just pushing around a young kid. And didnt buy the car. FAST FORWARD 10 Years.. Same friend has a 35 Plymouth for sale. Some guy comes to look at it. Guess who it is!! Same prick. Guy says '' I' m here to look at the car". My friend tells him get back into his car and leave before he gets his ass beat. The guy was confused , so my friend reminds the guy of who he is. And makes it REAL clear he better leave now! HA, HA. I love my friends personalities.

18. Poetic justice. XLNT story.

19. Ya know...I think I dealt with that same guy years ago...I listed a pair of dummy spots on there, clear photos of the small pits and such, and stated it in the ad that they were NOT perfect, they were used, and would look better on a (censored, not hamb friendly) rod. No refunds...blah blah blah...

guy kept bumping up the bid, paid $65 + shipping by the time it was all done...hell, I expected 20 bucks at most...he leaves me positive feedback before he gets the things, then sends me a flaming letter about how they are junk, and hes spent hours on them with steel wool, and demands his money back because he's a professional body man building expensive cars for customers and the spots are basic junk...

I sent him a reply stating that if he's such a professional, perhaps he should use some of his big bucks to take reading lessons, and get new glasses, because the ad showed what they were and described them accurately.

He sent them back, I guess he wanted his money, but I didn't send it...I lost an hour's sleep over it. Never heard from him again...I didn't resell them though, one was used as a headlight on a mini-chopper, and the other is attached to one boob of a mannequin.

If more a-holes were like him, and gave free money just to exercise their stupidity, I wouldn't mind them so much.

20. Nailhead

Nailhead

Hahaha !!!! Wait....... :eek: .....what ??

Todd

21. r0ckstarr

r0ckstarr
    from Houston

I hate the people that leave notes on your car when its not even for sale to begin with. I got one recently that said "Wil yoo sale car $300" and had a phone number on it.

22. lol...the cone part:p

they were BOTH on there for a time, now it's just a lopsided up top, headless, armless, legless, black-fuzz covered torso in my attic...the fake bones and dried fake blood on it might keep the "roommates" from prowling too much if they get up there and see it...

23. TxRat

TxRat

Years ago I sold a worn out O/T pick up for $1500 to a highschool kid. Him and his mother came and bought it paid the asking price and went on their way. A month goes by and I get a call form the mother who cominces to eat my ass out about the POS I sold them stating that the shifter ripped out of the transmission and that the rods were hanging out of the pan. I told her i was very sorry but it was sold as is where is and that she might want to check with her son as it sounded as if he was abusing it and possibly it was his fault. She then told me about her fresh out of prison Husband was going to kick my ass. Yea I was freaking out but I still wasnt running a shop. The guy calls me and I'm about to soil myself he tells me that his talked with his wife and son and they admitted that the kid was out running the shit out of the tired old truck and I would not hear from them again. Whew...

24. What a timely thread haha. UInteresting stories too. Here's mine.

I have my ride for sale atm for 36K....a number of people who were "super keen" and never turned up. One who turned up with his handbag and told me he and his wife loved the car and we agreed on a price. He was to call me in a coupla days to "finalise" the deal. Needless to say I havent heasrd from him but neither did I expect to haha. Another pinhead.

So some asshole rings me today from interstate for the same ride. Asks me if ill take less. Never asks me what kinda shape the car is in, history, servicing etc. Nadda. Hasn't even SEEN the fucking thing yet.

So I tell him I wont take less than 35K. Period. Then he starts giving me the speech about how how LOVES the car/colour and that they are hard to find in that combo. So I tell him f you want a lo mile, one owner, EC car like this in this colour, THAT is the amount I want for it and no less.

Then he proceeds to tell me "I'll get a black one there's plenty of those around but I really want the colour you have". "Ill give ya 30K for it and I'll head down and pick it up tomorrow, done deal" HAHA, I almost fell over, 6K off the price WTF??? I told him to piss off and never call me again.

Wanna hear the funny bit ? MY ride is the CHEAPEST of its type/spec/ mileage/condition that is listed for sale anywhere in the COUNTRY.

Negotiating is one thing, being insulted by dickheads is another.

Sheesh....

Rat

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

Here is just the opposite. When I bought my 54 Chevy it was around 6 hours away. I call the guy and tell him I will be there Saturday morning. (6 hour drive). He asked how I was going to pay. I said "cash". He said he didn't want to accept cash for us to wait until Monday and I can go to the bank for a transfer and all this crap.

I told him that I was coming Saturday or I wasn't coming. He made me meet him at his bank and give the cash to the teller. LOL, He was afraid I was going to bring counterfeit money.

26. Ted Kempgens

Ted Kempgens
    from Florida

My Grandfather ran a garage in the small Alabama town I was born in, He was famous for having the best running Model T's around. He was also the biggest jokester around. He loved to put his personal car out front for sale and play with people. The best stories I remember hearing involved reversing the pitman arm and letting people test drive the car, and hollowing out corn cobs and sliding them over the spark plugs and putting the plug wires down tru the top, With this he would tell the people that was his secret to a good running T. If they would go home and remove their spark plugs and throw them as far into the woods as they could and replace them with corn cobs their T would run as good as his. He sold alot of spark plugs that way. Some times I would love to play tricks on the jerks who come to look at my stuff.

27. Don't be a hater. I'm the guy that leaves notes. If I see something I like, I land on it like a Crow. The Elcamino in my avatar was NOT for sale. But, I loved the look of the damn thing so much, I pursued it for 5 or 6 days til I was able to buy it. I've bought dozens of cars through the years that were NOT for sale. It's like girls. Ya see one you like, go after her. After all, is she wearing a sign saying fuck me?:D No, but you try to anyway, right?

28. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

My Edsel was not for sale either but finally was after 15 years of asking.

But anyone who leaves a note that says"Wil yoo sale car $300", deserves a sound beating.
    At least he said "yoo" instead of "U"

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

it's the ones that say they'll come and get it without even looking at the car that I can't figure out. I just ignore them. though I had a guy who followed through one time.

had a V8 disc brake 49 chevy 4 door. pretty nice faded paint good running car. this guy calls from 2 hours away and says he wants it based on a tiny black and white picture in the auto trader.

this guy shows up without even telling me he's coming. looks at it and whips out $7500.00. didn't drive it, didn't even hear it run. after he said he'd take it I opened the hood and showed him the motor.

bought it for his kid because his 65 mustang was too fast. I guess when a 350 is in a 4 door Grandpa looking car it has less power than a 289 in a mustang.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.