Register now to get rid of these ads!

Houston HAMB - Galveston Fun Run?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad S., Feb 13, 2008.

1. Brad S.

Brad S.

Not necessarily just for the Houston guys of course. This would be for anyone in the area that wanted to attend.

Bill (Brokenspoke) and I have discussed a fun run or reliability run on more than one occasion. The discussion centered on a route that would run through some of the countryside around Anderson, Montgomery, and the general upper old Austin Colony area.

However I was wondering what folks thought about a Galveston Fun Run. We could hook up here in Houston or the surrounding area somewhere and take the trip. We'd have to decide on the route, stops, and entertainment before hand though.

Putting it out there to get some discussion going. We could still try and get Bill to cook at some point. :D

2. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

sounds like fun to me.maybe i could host a stop at my shop.

-danny

3. does sound like fun, but I'm in thrash mode to get ready for LR

4. Brad S.

Brad S.

My thinking was that would definately happen after the Roundup. Too many of us thrashing for that event to take a day and do this one. We could do it that same month maybe. I haven't really checked the calendar.

Danny...that sounds good. A lot of folks around here see your work but don't know where you're at. I wonder how many other shops we could get between here and there.

5. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Yeah I'm in depending on the weekend. Any thought on a Winnie, Boliver, Ferry, Galveston, Texas Shitty, Kemah Loop?

6. Louie S.

Louie S.

A buddy of mine owns the bait camp/bar at the far east end of the island. I know he would do some thing for us, and there is plenty of parking by your car. We need to set a date and he will get a band to play for us.

7. R.Brown

R.Brown
    from houston

I would like to go. it sounds great.

8. Brad S.

Brad S.

Alright. Bunch of PM's sent to locals.

I'm thinking that a shop crawl may be too much for this day considering the distance some people will have to travel. There's so many cool shops around here too so maybe we can schedule a different event for that.

My thinking is that we take a 288 to Lake Jackson, then down the San Luis Pass road (15-20 miles of highway next to the beach) through Galveston.

We could get something setup at Louie's friends place or we could schedule something over at the Lone Star Aviation Museum as well as the old Balinese. I left a note for the Balinese owner to tell me if he has parking or something. Glad to see they're trying to get that thing going again. Old ZZ Top song.

Anyway. Here we are. :D

9. Brad S.

Brad S.

Wait a sec...

Louie, does your friend own the bar all the way down at the end of Seawall?

10. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm game..I like the 288 south to Galveston...I would like a date after the roundup and before Pate....

11. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

"Bill (Brokenspoke) and I have discussed a fun run or reliability run on more than one occasion. The discussion centered on a route that would run through some of the countryside around Anderson, Montgomery, and the general upper old Austin Colony area.
    "

This sounds better to me. You know how much traffic there is in and around your Galveston route on a nice weekend? All the squares come out to play.

Up through Spring, Old Tomball, catch 149 through Magnolia and Montgomery, Richards, Anderson, Carlos, B/C Station, go north then east Madisonville/ Centerville. Little towns with little bars. Wind up around Love lady, go by Whites Garage in Trinity, over the lake to Coldsprings, around to Splendora, Cleveland New Caney, and wrap it up at Hooters.

12. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

My thought are to keep the total distance to around 100 miles...???????

13. Kool Kat

Kool Kat

It's a hundred for me b4 I even get close to Galveston.:)

14. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

You guys should contact Paul Flores. He's recently started organizing TSD rallys and hosted one through that area in mid January. It was hosted by the local Miata club for insurance reasons, but all cars were invited. One of the Houston Roadsters signed up, but dropped out on the day of the event. The rally was a HOOT. And Paul had it set up for beginners so it wasn't frustrating - just fun. There were some great roads and very little traffic. The only place we approached a highway was at the very end as we arrived at the BBQ joint.

http://rally.houstonmiataclub.com/

Paul can be reached at Paul.Flores at twtelecom dot com.

15. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

My thoughts are to keep the actual run to 100 to 125miles or so as not to have to rush between stops...depending on how many stops..I understand some will have to drive to the start of the run...Its just my 2 cents worth for the actual run.. I attended the Barrons run in Kerrville... we had 3 stops including one for lunch...The total run was about 3 hours.and 100 miles ..it was fun...

16. Brad S.

Brad S.

I was thinking along the lines of a showcase route down galveston island. Hell. Just by driving from Spring to Galveston, we're clipping almost 200 miles for the day. That's nothing after some of the other other runs we've been on.

Get to Surfside and head to Galveston. We could do a crawfish boil or something somewhere along the way or preferably down at east end.

We've got lots of options here. I'd like to see us hit the airfield for a tour but that's just me. :D

17. Across the street from the bar. Would DEFINITELY be a cool place to end up. In fact, if you all didn't live so damn far away. it would be the perfect place for the HAMB Cruze night, instead of the Dark Horse or Jimmie's.

On another note, my Dad has a private marina in Galveston on Offat's Bayou, 61st St. and Heards Rd., next to Bodreaux's(spelling?) with a 47' Buddy Davis sport fishing boat, and a 72' custom cabin cruiser. He may be willing to do some type of short cruise if anyone is interested. There has also been talk of a H.A.M.B. fishing trip. He doesn't have a lot of parking, but we may be able to work something out in the lot next door. This may be a seperate deal, just throwing it out there to think about.

18. That would be nice; there's lots of stuff up north, but nothing on the coast. Don't make much sense, who would rather be in the city than on the beach???

19. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

All very good ideas I kind of like the fact of keeping it at a 100 miles or so.My only set back would be my falcon won't be running by then. :( The Galveston cruise along the shoreline sounds cool .

20. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

i am interested.
    i don't really care which direction however,...149, Magnolia, Montgomery is a cool drive.
    let me know.

21. bigDrew

bigDrew

Hyw 288 to surfside and back up is always a cool drive. I'm down with whatever... as long as I am in town!!

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm trying to get my T Bucket ready for upcoming events and I'm trying really hard. But even if it's not ready for this, I'd still want to tag along. Support wheels, I guess.

23. Louie S.

Louie S.

Yes, there are two of them. His is the outdoor one called Nash's bait camp. The other is the baja club, either one would work. With the bait camp we could sit around by the cars outside. The baja sells mixed drinks though.I do crawfish boils and fish fry's at the bait camp all the time it is areally cool place for it. I keep my travel trailer in the customs wharehouse in Galveston, so i can bring it over for this if someone needs a place to stay.

24. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Damn! I love this idea. Brad, I'm totally up for this. Great idea!

25. hotrodtodd

hotrodtodd
    Member Emeritus
    from Houston

As soon as the car is ready i'm in. I'm good with any direction north or south

26. Brad S.

Brad S.

Anybody have issues with this route?
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...9.463514,-95.125122&spn=1.372621,2.202759&z=9</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>I chose the Dark Horse as a starting point only because it's a familiar reference for everyone. We can choose somewhere else to start from. </SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>I'm wide open as far as dates go. As long as it's after Roundup.</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>Beer and Crawfish sound good.</SMALL>

27. We'll show you city folk how to have fun.

28. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

I'd try to make it. My truck should be road worthy by mid March.

29. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

ok country boy :rolleyes: "Texas City, Texas Between Houston & Galveston"

i'm in :D

30. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm in... Thanks Brad...