Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Fuel Logs / Fuel Blocks - Let's see them...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Feb 13, 2008.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

In my what seems to be a MAD and HOPELESS search to find a vintage Thickstun finned fuel block and I've come to wonder what else is out there. I haven't found much attention paid to them, perhaps it's because they are a small overlooked detail. However, I know this to be the place to be home of some of the most fanatical when it comes to details.

I'd love to see some pics of the fuel logs/blocks you're using, vintage or not.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  2. Most guys made theirs from square stock if it was a fuel block that would get mounted to the firewall.

Nice part about commercial fuel blocks was the mounting flange.
    We drilled right through the square - and sometimes rectangular - chunks of aluminum that were wide enough to allow the large fuel reservoir hole and a hole suitable for a 10-24 machine screw.

Some of the guys who worked in the oil fields and dealt with machine shops would have their home-made fuel block run through a mill which made for a nice mounting flange.
    A little filing and polishing on these, rounding the corners etc. made them better looking than most anything you could buy over the counter.

Round or hex aluminum stock if it was a fuel log.
    Many times logs hung from the hoses that went to the carb fitting.
    Other times, the extra mile bit was done and the log mounted to a bracket so the short hose run was straight.

Below is one I made, about 20 years old so I don't know if it's vintage or not.
    It's mounted to and supported by the swiveling angled fittings.
    Need to be pretty accurate on the tapped hole spacing in the log when you're using swiveling or solid fittings.
    I've used both styles.

If you're hanging the log on hoses, you have a little more leeway as far as log spacing goes . . . even so, it's easy to make pretty accurate spacing with the usual stuff found in a hot rodders garage.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The log shown below is also home-made.
    Hex aluminum was used for the Rochester triples on a 335" Rocket motor in a 50 Ford coupe.
    These hung on the hoses.

Circa 1963, home-made so I suppose you could call it vintage.
    [​IMG]

A lathe is a nice tool for knocking out fuel blocks and logs of any kind, but you can do it with a drill press if you're careful with the setup.

No pics, but we made more than a few multi-carb fuel distribution manifolds from copper lines and brass fittings.
    Contrary to what some say nowadays, we never had a fatigue problem with the copper lines, none broke or leaked.
    Probably because the run of copper was so short it didn't pick up harmonics and start vibrating.

We even used copper lines from mechanical fuel pump to carb.

3. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

What a great idea for a thread.... keep the pics coming!

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

My home made unit to copy the 406 Ford style.

[​IMG]

I always loved the aluminum hexagon bar stock type. You see some of the long ones for 6-2s but the second one down is my favorite since it was drilled for only 3-2s. The undrilled Eddy Meyer unit, bottom left, was never made back in the day.

[​IMG]

A little short 2-2 hexagon that I like.

[​IMG]

A Fenton

[​IMG]

A Weiand.

[​IMG]

Probably my best find. I'm told that this is a pre-war Edelbrock. It's a generic that was hand stamped before he had his own cast with the raised letters that we are all used to seeing.

One of my many fetishes.

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Here's mine.......got it from Dickster27.......highly recommended:D

Hey Tommy......how rare is that Weiand fuel log???? Never seen one before.....I think I NEED one.....hahaha!

Attached Files:

6. belair

belair

I have Sharp on my 3x2 SBC. are those common or not? I have never heard of them. Goes nice with the Creitz intake.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Well I haven't missed many flea markets and I haven't seen many.

8. slickmick

slickmick

They are now produced by Wilcap in Pismo Beach, Ca. I am also running one on my 3x2 sbc. It was originally designed for Flatties.

9. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

here are some I have concocted for units I have built. Click on pic to super size.

Attached Files:

10. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

[​IMG]

This style moon fuel block has to be one of my favorites.

I have a moon catalog from last year and they had a picture of another type of fuel block that they said they were going to start reproducing again, looked pretty cool, dont think they ever got around to doing it though.

11. alchemy

alchemy

No such thing as a "vintage" Thickstun finned fuel block. Those are a modern creation.

12. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

That is beautiful, need something like this for my 312.[​IMG]

13. tomcat46

tomcat46

Glad this came up, I was going to post a related question today. So I'll just add to this one.

Last weekend I rebuilt the carbs, setup linkage and fuel lines for this Edmunds dual carb manifold for the 235 in the '46. I started with an offy linkage and fuel line kit. Now all those compression fittings are concerning me. Is this a leak waiting to happen? I was looking at fuel block choices last night and thinking about redoing it.

I'm thinking that a 2 carb block, or maybe a 3 with a pressure guage like someone shows earlier, with the clear red fuel line would be better looking. The red line would look great with the NOS champion clear red plug wire set. I've heard some horror stories about the red fuel line breaking down also.

I'd like some input on this before I rerout the existing line to the new manifold. What do you think? Would either be more period correct?

Thanks!

[​IMG]

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

Well, that makes sense, thanks! I had read a while back that there was one (perhaps on here even) but I couldn't find it. I've seen the modern one but it isn't with my engine's "motif".

15. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Here's my contribution, seen better days, but it well be brought back to its former glory.

Attached Files:

16. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

A cool fuel block that i sell

Attached Files:

17. Here's my contribution, EELCO finned 6x2. The one I own was the very first one sold to the public by Northwest Speed Equip. which has gone out of business, so I dont think they are available anymore...maybe someone took over the molds?
    -Dean

Attached Files:

18. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

They still make 'em, NW Speed just changed names......EELCO

Seller's.....I really dig that one ya posted.....different....

19. tomcat46

tomcat46

Sellers, I talked to my dad this afternoon and asked him about Sniders speed shop. Kindof blew him away. My dad grew up in San Meteo. Graduated from San Mateo High in '57. After the usual "what the hell are you getting into now?!" He said Sniders was a neat little shop downtown by the railroad tracks (makes sense if you look at the address in your old ad). He used to go there occasionally to get parts for his flathead '40 Ford. The shop was about a mile from my Grandma's house.

Thanks for giving me another excuse to pump my dad for some old hotrod history.

Tom

20. docauto

docauto
    from So Cal

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Egge sells the thickstun 2 hole fuel block. They even feature it in their magazine advert.

22. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Here is a four holer I've had for years.

The 90 on the end is Eelco but I have no idea what the block itself is.

Attached Files:

23. irishpol

irishpol
    from Texas

Here's the one on the green roadster.

Attached Files:

24. 29SX276

29SX276

Here's the one on my Essex.

25. I'm hunting an old 2x2 block similar to this if anyone has one. Doesn't have to be the rare Edelbrock, just an old cast aluminum block.

I'm trying to install a 2x2 set up on my '38 & would like to do it all with old parts.

TIA, JH

26. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Thats really cool to hear man, i had the fule block for years, and when Rod Furtado passed away., his father Merve Furtado , (use to race midgets in the late 40's) He gave me a Half Moon bay drag strip little brochure, i had this thing for years, and never noticed the add till about 4 months ago. Think theres any pictures out there?, I looked but couldn't find any, I was also told there was a board track in Oakland back in the day.. Trip!

27. superchargednailhead

superchargednailhead

Not sure if you can really see this early eelco 3 port

Attached Files:

28. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

Nice equipment! Also, a little off-topic, I love your avatar man! The 82nd Division has the best looking patch ever!...although I do love my screaming eagle alma mater!

29. [​IMG]

this is the only one known to exist :eek::D...actually I made it a year ago. Wanted to be a smartass and i used a laser at work to etch my last name into the fuel block.

30. odcics2

odcics2
    from S.E. MI

Just ran across this thread...

Interesting subject!! Here's my contribution... and I'm looking
    for one to restore my engine back to the vintage photo from early 1970.
    It's a hemi circle track with a Dominator.

Any ideas as to the brand?
    Could it have a built in fuel pressure regulator?

Thanks for any help - leads..

Attached Files: