Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas inspection question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 500LBGorilla, Feb 11, 2008.

1. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

Anyone know if the motor is swapped out will it change the way they inspect your car?
    What i mean is as of right now my '55 ford has the original motor and the inspection is safety only no emissions, if i swap out for a newer one will it all of a sudden be subject to emissions testing? anyone an inspector here or have a hook up to ask one?
    Thanks
    Rocco

2. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

My brother lives in Austin but he brings it up here to Abilene for inspection. No emissions testing here, cheaper too. not sure why, maybe cause we are a smaller town. But I had my ride inspected last week. Just breaks, lights wipers,and gas cap leak test. The wiper part makes me wonder what they do when you bring in a car that didnt come with wipers. hopefully it will be grandfathered.

3. I had a 99 Silverado with a carbureted 454 with headers. The guy at the inspection place just shook his head and said "Honk the horn and turn on the wipers". :)

4. Suicide-D

Suicide-D
    from Texas

24 years and older... safety only-no emissions

5. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

Yea, when i had it inspected last year horn , blinkers, wipers(which are for show only, thank god he didnt trun them on).. just was wondering if they see a later motor under the hood, would they do an emissions test for that year motor

6. Anderson

Anderson

That is illegal. The vehicle must be inspected in the country it is registered in. If a cop ever puts it together he could be in trouble. Austin is in an emissions county therefore it must have emissions testing if it's required for the year of his vehicle. If it's older, then it's safety only and it doesn't matter where you have it inspected, the price is the same.

More rural counties only do safety inspections. Anything older than 24 years or diesel powered gets a safety only inspection regardless of what county it's registered in.

And back to the question....no, it doesn't matter what motor is in the car. The inspection is based on the year model of the year (or at least what it's titled as).

7. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

Cool, then my ford is getting a transplant..

8. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

I forgot to mention that the car is registered her in Taylor county, where it was purchased.

9. Terry

Terry

Get antique plates, no more inspection.

10. one37tudor

one37tudor

I live in Austin and get my 61 Galaxie inspected in Austin. It has a later model 428 in it and all I have to have is a safety inspection. I might also add that I use YOM plates on it as it fits my usage better than the antique plates with their restrictions.

Scott...

11. Strictly speaking, you must file for a corrected title with the new motor number, because Texas cars were titled by the motor number from 1955 back.

Practically speaking, doing so has the potential to become a can of flesh-eating worms. MVD would require you, at the very least, to have a notarized bill of sale for the replacement engine. Some jurisdictions might require you to have the title to the car from which the engine came.

I suggest you not discard the original engine block just in case any question of ownership might arise.

12. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

I lived in Abilene (Taylor Co) and had a 53 Ford 2 door with a 350 in it. I took it to guys I new until they closed their doors. Then I took it to Clyde and the old feller who handed out stickers just made sure it could stop, horned worked, and I had all the lights, and he didn't care if I only had the interior mirror! Now I live in Indiana and don't have to get it inspected for anything!!!

13. borndead327

borndead327

if its an old car all you need is saftey inspection
    dosent matter what motor is in it

14. Not correct.

Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 547, Subchapter K, Section 547.605 (EMISSION SYSTEMS REQUIRED), Subsection C, reads as follows.

The owner or operator of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, that is equipped with an exhaust emission system:

(1) shall maintain the system in good working
    condition;
    (2) shall use the system when the motor vehicle or
    motor vehicle engine is operated; and
    (3) may not remove the system or a part of the system
    or intentionally make the system inoperable in this state, unless
    the owner or operator removes the system or part to install another
    system or part intended to be equally effective in reducing
    atmospheric emissions.

Texas DPS inspection regulations actually require a vehicle engine to be equipped with the emissions system installed on that engine during the model year of its manufacture, but I've never heard of anyone having a problem at inspection.

If every law on the books was rigidly enforced, this world would not be a really fun place.

15. Terry

Terry

My 54 Chevy title uses the VIN number on the door jam, not the motor number. And yes it was issued to the original owner in 54.

16. In some cars, certainly Pontiac, the VIN number on the door jamb plate corresponds to the motor number. Are you certain you have the original engine?

This is not to say that errors weren't made back in the day...

17. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Right?? In Texas, you can still shoot someone dead if they are stealing your horse. And it's illegal to carry wire cutters in your pocket (because you might be carrying them to cut a barbed wire fence and let someones cows out...SERIOUSLY, its illegal!).

18. Actually, the wire-cutter law was repealed back in the mid-'70s, but plenty other archaic regulations are still on the book.

19. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Well there's another lie that my Agg teacher told me!

Really though, Texas is THE best place on Earth and I miss it BAD, but I'm sure there's somebody who's cool enough to pass the car for inspection. Just say you'll bring'em a nice plate o' brisket for lunch. You'll have the sticker and even better, a "guy" you can take it to next year!

20. Anderson

Anderson

Are you a lawyer or something?

When your car is inspected...they go by the year that it is registered. Period. You take your '54 chevy to the inspection station, hand them an insurance card that says it's a '54 Chevy, then that is what they go by.

If you would like to "correct" me again, don't hesitate. I inspected cars for 5 years in this state and am well aware of the procedures.

21. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

My cars have always been inspected by the year of the vehicle not the year of the engine.

22. Never heard or have seen a car titled from the engine number. Every Tx title I have need used a VIN. 60's Mopars only had casting number on the engines.

23. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

I pull the 46 in, they check the lights & horn, collect my money & send me on my way (Tarrant county)

24. triton6972

triton6972

I second this. Dont have to worry about inspections.

25. BBobb

BBobb

And in the state of texas you can still walk down main street with a gun straped to your hip (must have permit ) this law was never written off the same old books

26. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Don't sweat it Rock...I know a guy.

Seriously though. Austin has some inspectors that can be really, really strict. like "no open element air cleaner under a closed hood" strict (it's in the rules....never ditch yer pie pan, I guess) I know a guy that is freakin light bulb crazy. if it's a bulb that shows light to the outside of the car, it had BETTER work. reguardless if your 62 Impala has 2 turn signal bulbs on that side of the car or not. on the other hand, I know a guy that does the "praise Allah" inspection. He walks up, throws the hood up with both hands, and while it's on the way up, yells "praise Allah, a motor!" and uses both hands to firmly close the hood before writing on the back of the sticker.

long story short...you gotta "know the right guy." I have found that a ride around the block is typically enough to get a sticker out of the right fella.

27. Fasterthanu

Fasterthanu

My 64' has never had any inspection issues regardless of the engine swap. It just geta the basic safety inspect. Antique would be awesome, no inspection @ all, but you are only "supposed" to drive it to "show" it. Chili Phil that is hilarious!! Bill Morgan, If you are having that kind of inspection issues go to Pizzarski's shop on Slide & about 37th behind 7-11 he can hook it up.

28. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

LOL Lux, how did i know you'de have a hook, that's the one thing i miss about NY, all my hooks are back there.. that and the PIZZA!!
    but thank god for HOMESLICE!!!!
    I'll get with ya in the next week or so..

29. BELLM

BELLM

Hey Dustin get rid of all that "late model" stuff you got and get a real hot rod!:D:D (Just kidding!)
    Everything I got is titled with the engine # except Cindy's '07 truck. 1956 was the first year Texas did not use engine numbers on the title. Over the years, as old cars changed hands, engines got changed, etc and that all got changed. My '50 Ford and my '37 Plymouth truck came with original engines and had not changed hands but a couple of times and the engine # matches the title on both. My '55 Nomad is titled with an engine number.