Register now to get rid of these ads!

472/500 Caddilac engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by langy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Sort of makes it a good truck engine then.

Anyone else remember in Hot Rod maybe 10-12 years ago they started out racing a beat up stock '70 or so Caddy 2-door, with 2 spare doors in the trunk and 6 people in it, against a guy with a hopped up VW bug.. and each pass they took something else off the car? Eventually they had cut it down to a cowl and frame with a seat and added a rollbar... and by then the thing was pretty damned fast - but even fully loaded it was faster than the VW if I remember right.

2. +2- I about can't wear shoes drivin' my '54 Cad. I'm gonna try some reflective heat/ sound deadener out this coming summer. I can't think of anything else to do...:mad:

3. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I found some 10-1 forged pistons here for $599 which i thought were very reasonable http://www.cadillachighperformance.com/Pistons.html

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

I have heard there is a Ford intake that can be made to fit. IIRC it was an FE, but when I search the sites listed, I either get the library of congress, or nothing.

I was hoping there was an intake that could be made to fit these that takes 3 carbs. Anyone know? Or is this one of the 'urban legends' about this engine?

5. brownsmetal

brownsmetal

What years and models are guaranteed to have the 500ci? Are there any visual clues as to tell if I am looking at a 500 or a 472?

6. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

7. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I too would like a triple carb setup but havn't found anything yet, Havn't found a dual 4 barrel inlet either, surprised no one makes one ???

8. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

There doesn't appear to be any, Everybody tells me to check stroke through the plug hole.

9. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Check with Potter for a "Boogieman Intake" he builds or a Ford 460 will fit with adapters available from most Cadillacpower.com vendors.
    Al:cool:

10. mad-cad

mad-cad

Here's a pic of the new 540 caddy motor that was supposed to be in the sedan for speedweek last year,maybe it will be in there for this year with some luck.The 10-71 blower is bolted on with one of those 'Boogieman' intakes from 'Potter automotive':D.Motor uses 502 chevy pistons with custom valve releifs and prepped olds 7 inch rods.

Attached Files:

11. gpa

gpa
    from lewis,co.

Ive got a 500 in my 52 custom shop truck,it had 118000 miles on it when I put it in there 5 years ago,I put about 10000 miles a year on it,I have a 125 horse shot of nitrous on it and have run 26 ten pound bottles through it without any problems,NO BULLSHIT!!! The thing seems to be pretty damn tough,and it has out ran everything in town,the truck I have it in weighs almost 4000 pounds,so that says alot for these things. I have read all the post here about these engines,I have not had the heat problems.There was a article in professional engine builders magazine and it said the temp gauge normally reads higher than normal on these because the block is pretty thin and disapates the heat fast,so dont worry if they read in the mid two hundreds, Ive have NEVER had mine overheat, and Ive had it in heavy traffic in Phoenix in august,so if that isnt a good test,I dont know what the hell is.And another thing they said is that it will never be a small block chevy(thank god) so dont expect to twist the shit out of one,they dont need to,they build plenty of hp and torque at lower rpm,thats the beauty of big inch motors! Once we run 200 in my 27 T coupe hopefully at speedweek this year,Im going to build a stoker caddy so I dont have to use so much nitrous.Potter automotive says you can run close to 800 hp every day with reliability,so thats what we will find out soon,hopefully.
    Later,Phil

12. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Ok I have a custom 7 core radiator for a chopped 32 ford shell this should be enough to keep the caddy cool ?

13. gpa

gpa
    from lewis,co.

lockwoodkustoms
    My truck has a two row aluminum rad thats keeps it cool,so if a 7 row wont cool yours,something is way wrong..

14. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

I am putting a 472 in a 48 Caddie right now, this post is making wanna take it for a drive right now!

15. Jibs

Jibs

I've had a 472 Cadillac engine in my 47 Chevy for 12 years now, never had a heating problem. I have a $85.00 radiator from Advance Auto in it with two 16" electric fans, never gets over 200 degrees in any weather or traffic. Gas mileage isn't bad either, I get a little over 20 mpg on the interstates at 70 to 75 mph. I also have a 500 with turbo 400 going into a chopped & channeled 33 Ford pickup. I have 4 more 500 for future projects, I try to buy every reasonably priced 500 in my area. They are good engines you'll like it.

16. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Sweet then I will be alright with my build. I will be putting my Caddy project together soon. Look at my Model A truck build post if you want to keep track of my progress. I will be starting first with cleaning the engine up and so on. i don't want to hijackthis therad with that. so for those interested in it that is were I will be posting everything I do to the truck and engine.

17. 133

this may be a dumb question, but could a 472 swap into my '66 Cad easily? mine has the 429.

18. 514deuce

514deuce

I used a Lakewood BOP pattern bellhousing (its a scattershield too)
    a Tilton hydrallic throwout bearing and a Mcleod clutch on a MTS flywheel. It was a tight fit in the tunnel of my 32 since it is in a Hot Rods and Customs kicked up front end frame (to get the car lower while retaining front suspension travel) Had to grind a bit off of the block to clear the clutch pedal arm!Am using a Long shifter. Nothing like banging gears in my roadster looking over the door sill :D

19. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

This guy has some for the ones that need one.
    1970 Eldo 500 engine complete, runs great. $250 ---1975 500 engine complete (runs great) with 400 TH Trans. $300 ----1976 500 fuel injection complete (no computer) $200. KEY LARGO, FLORIDA 305-481-6905 CASH & CARRY. Chuck

Hell,,, For that kind of cash,,,,,:rolleyes:

20. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Betruger...remove all the interior, clean the floor, spray epoxy sealer on it and use Lizardskin...it'll kill the heat...it's not cheap, but it won't add any bulk to the car like glue on stuff will...

Put it on credit card thickness...kills all heat...

R-

21. Abomination

Abomination

I heard bedliner will do this, too.

FYI, here's the link for LizardSkin:
    http://www.lizardskin.com/

~Jason

22. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

4 pages and I cant believe no one has mentioned Doc Frohmoders book on the "BIG INCH CADILLAC"

It is the Bible for these motors. I HIGHLY suggest picking it up if you are considering this motor.

Its around $20 on the web.

23. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

24. Do the rod and main caps on these interchange back to the 429s? I had a guy email up looking for them for a '64 429 engine. He said money wasn't an option, so I figured I'd ask. '65 Motors shows the rod journal size is the same back to '60 and the mains are the same '63-'65.

25. Abomination

Abomination

Ditto - was just about to suggest that. ;)

~Jason

26. Abomination

Abomination

They might. Chris at http://www.cad500parts would know - and could probably rattle it right off. He's on the HAMB.

~Jason

27. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I bought that today !!!

I thought there would be more answers to the tuning possibilities than there has been.

28. Stude- Is this a fix you've verified "under fire" ?:) I really don't have much faith in the glue down stuff, although I've used it before with marginal success. I've never used Lizard Skin- How's it price out? Is it worth the coin, messwise/ resultwise ?

29. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yes, we used it in my brother's '54 Caddy...did the interior, door panels and roof...and the trunk...it killed all the heat and keeps the interior cool...as you know, dark colors absorb heat...we've painted his roof lime green...in the summers, it is very warm to the touch, but inside, when you put your hand on the headliner...it is cool.

[​IMG]

I have now used it in my '55 Coop DeVille...inside and under (did a body off)...

I think it is worth "messing" with...it'll run about $180-$190 for a two gallon bucket...that should do your interior - all of it. I used 2 two gallon buckets on my '55, including the firewall. They recommend you clean the floor, spray an epoxy sealer on it and then spray the Lizardskin to a credit card thickness with a body schutz gun...I understand you can also roll it on...but check the Lizardskin website (http://www.lizardskin.com) There is also a comparison of the two there...

R-

30. Well thanks for the info, I'll run it by my buddy (Mr. paint man extraordinare) this Saturday. Damn nice '54 coupe too, BTW...