Register now to get rid of these ads!

jerks who call on your cars you have for sale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

When you have to sell an O/T beater, jerks can be money in the bank if you just know how to chum for em.

I place a descriptive ad priced a little over what I want with my mom's phone number. She's a car-clueless sweet old lady and the jerkbags are suddenly sharks in the water. Doesn't matter if there's a connecting rod poking out of the block, she cannot convince anyone that there's actually something wrong with the car, and she's instructed to accept anything over $X, but still under asking price. I usually get full asking.

For real. This woman could sell an engineless K car for a thousand bucks. I've never seen anything like it. Mom gets commission, I get top dollar for worn out junk. Amazing.

2. I Drag

I Drag

100 will call
    10 will show up
    1 will buy

3. 50chevtrk

50chevtrk

same with me 1st of two i was trying to sell 2 honda dirt bikes it was halloween had them out front during trick or treat had my sign up about the bikes and at the bottom of the sign a wrote NO TIRE KICKERS this couple walks up with there kids and the dude says to his wife what the hell does that mean she says to him for people like u . I had to go in the house to laugh my ass off :D. 2nd was i put a truck on e-gay this guy calls about the truck tell him about it bla bla bla and says to me u sound pretty firm on ur price . i said yes this is the bottom dollar he drives about 4- 5 hours and trys to lowball me i told him to get the hellouta here last i heard from him

4. slepe67

slepe67

my favorite...

I put in an ad for an old Harley as follows:

***WILL NOT PART OUT****WILL NOT ACCEPT TRADES OF ANY TYPE******$10,000 FIRM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*****************
    NO JOY RIDES********
    then, they send you emails asking if you'll take a $1500 wedding ring for a $10,000 bike....WTF? Then YOU are the asshole.
    him: what is the lowest you'll take?
    me: ummm, $10,000.
    him: how about $5,000.
    me. click.
    him: ring ring
    me, (sign-then pick up)
    him: "Why is your bike so special?" "The guy down the street is asking $4000 for his. "
    me: his bike is a piece of shit, if you look at the two, you can tell the difference
    him: I'll trade you for a 1980 Honda Civic
    me: click/disconnect phone cable

buyer 2: can I ride it?
    me: no
    him: why?
    me: it say so in the ad. Tell you what, gimme $5,000 and you can ride it around the block.
    him: WTF?
    me: you break it you buy it
    him: I don't even HAVE $5,000
    me: get the F**K OFF my property...

others: will you part it out?
    me: Why the FUCK would I part out a perfectly good bike? So you can play American Chopper in your garage and half ass a bike, then figure out that shovel heads SUCK to own? (sorry for the rant..people are ignorant sometimes) at least I'm not the only one going thru this BS!

5. i like shovelheads..

6. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

I've got a car for sale on craigslist, I think i'll pull the add...If I meet up with some of those buyers i'll end up in prison.:eek:

7. zoomy

zoomy

Question: What does "OT" stand for?

As in, "I have a OT truck for sale...

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

as in not about what this site is all about
    like 69 camaro for sale would be way O/T

10. OT= Off Topic. Means the vehicle is newer than we discuss here, like a minitruck or your mom's '86 Olds 98.

I get those "will you part it out" guys all the damned time. They look at a car that's not perfect but all there and decent compared to some of the shit we have and email up and ask if they can buy a headlight bucket or the headliner bows. 9 times out of 10 I say "sorry, we do not part out cars, no matter how asinine the request" ....

And the 2 or 3 times out of 100 that I do make an exception, 90% of those guys I never hear from again. A guy wanted a piece out of the cowl on a '39 Chevy stock car that the odds are about a billion to one it will ever see a public road again.. I said sure, let's do it... he never answers back... another guy wanted the extra windshield frame from my '49 Ford convert.. I said, sure, but for me to get one it will cost me a few hundred to buy another carcass, make me an offer... I figured I'd just go buy this '51 ragtop in a yard that's pretty well stripped and lop the frame off that one... he never answers back -

11. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

From my experience Craigslist has the cheapest of the cheap's. They usually want to trade for something that is worth less than half of your asking price or they just want to start asking if you will take a third of what your asking before they even see it.

12. norbyrattler

norbyrattler
    BANNED
    from Colorado

Thats exactly why I have all those junkers lying around. Its more trouble to sell than store sometimes.
    Norb

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Had an old guy cuss out SwitchBlade327 for what I'm asking for my '34 sitting outside the shop...
    luckily I was at lunch or I would've cussed him back out... shit I'm just trying to get my money back out of it... it's not rusty and has title, that's huge in NC right now...

I've also been getting harassed by a guy who wants to trade me his '29 Roadster for it... I said no, but he keeps emailing me about it... No dipshit I have a roadster, don't want another I want a 36-38 Buick Coupe, now he's all crying about it being the car he always wanted... well sell your Roadster and buy it then, but leave the hell alone about it until you have cash in hand...

14. I've got a guy coming over to MAYBE buy a car from me right now. So, I should have another BS story soon. He says he's got CASH IN POCKET, then asks if there's a Wells Fargo Bank near me. See where this is going?

15. norbyrattler

norbyrattler
    BANNED
    from Colorado

Model T guys are the cheapest bless thier souls:D

16. Sad but true:
    I know a guy (Tom) that was selling a 26/27 T body (coupe). It was in average condition, body only, wanted 300.00 bucks for it. A guy called and offered 150.00 over the phone. Tom says no, he's firm on the price. The guy keeped hagglin and hagglin, and Tom says he'd rather cut it up that give it away that cheap. The guy finally says he'd like to come look at it, and he would bring 150.00 because that was all he had. When he got there the body was torched into FOUR pieces, right throught the center of the doors and strait across the cowl, roof and trunk! Tom said he'd take the 150.00, and the guy could choose any 2 of the 4 pieces!!! The guy looked like he was going to cry!!!!

17. Crankhole

Crankhole

Hahaha, that's pretty funny:D........but, that poor T.:(

18. RacerRick

RacerRick

You wanna deal with cheapass's. Try to sell a 2nd gen camaro. Doesn't matter what it is, or what is in it - they think they can buy them all day long for $500.

19. phat rat

phat rat

From the way you tell the story I'd say Tom is a DUMBASS. 1st for even giving the guy his address 2nd cutting the T up

20. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Funny as F!@#, i wanted to e-mail the guy to thank him for the laugh

Attached Files:

21. Yeah, Tom is full on crazy however...I guess thats not the first thing he's cut up to make a point!

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Oh shit..hahahahhalol i still cant stop laughing about that..Sellers..that was the funniest ad i have ever seen..Thanks dude..i needed that today

23. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

Is that some funny ass! shit or what..?

24. That's funny shit right there.

25. OK, as promised I have a brand new story from just today. I got a pretty decent deal on a 6 cylinder 65 Mustang Fastback yesterday. For kicks, I listed on Craigs List this morning. I had about a half dozen responses in 1 hour. Guys are asking me the "codes" on the door and the Vin. I say why, did you think I'd LIE that it was a 6 cylinder? Do you think it's a Shelby that someone put a 6 cylinder and 4 lug wheels on it? NO, I won't give you the codes. Another wanted to know what plant built the car. I asked-would you rather buy a pile of shit from a plant of choice, or a bitchen car from a less favorable plant? He said good point, and I hung up. It's my experience, guys that ask that shit DON'T buy. They're usually nut scratchers. Anyway, if you know me, this is one of several ways I entertain myself. So, another guy calls and asks if I'm firm on $11.500? I tell him this. I'll let you set your own price. He asks me how? I said YOU decide whether you're paying $10.000 or $11.500 by how smooth the deal goes, and how little stupid questions are asked. I explained some of the dumbness others were giving me. He said I want it for my kid and I'll be there in 20 minutes with the $10.000. Confident? He should be. He shows up, walks in the backyard, and asks, is that the car? I said, yes. He said here's your $10.000.

26. Nailhead

Nailhead

Way to go Tom........ now your out $300.00 and the world has one less T to fix-up. Sad to see a car that lasted that long in the world go out for a reason like that.....:(

27. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

I love when you clearly state in your ad "Cash ONLY"... you then weed out 2 tire kickers, 5 no-shows, and the one MF'er that shows up and REALLY wants the car and is willing to pay your asking price asks if you'll take a personal check. WTF??? :confused:

28. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

I have been dealing with this over the last couple days, im trying to sell my 51 chevy coupe, a damn solid project for $3200 obo or possible trades, i specifically listed i would not be interested in anything newer then 1964, no 4 doors, no 4 door mopars, etc etc. seriously i have had people try to trade me peice of shit gas hog 78 ford trucks, 4 door 67 chryslers, Honda "choppers", and the list goes on. rediculous!

29. tomcat46

tomcat46

I had 3 different ads on craigslist last week, 2 motorcycles and a van. The same guy sent replies to all of my ads asking if I'd trade it for a golf cart!. Guy must have really wanted to get rid of that golf cart.

30. inkundone

inkundone

will you take my trash cans for your 2 bike and van? they are the beautiful round metal ones. i even have the lids i'll sell you for an extra 50 bucks.
    :D:p:rolleyes:;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.