Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Interior Material Help..Need to Find A Match

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have this 52 Ford Convertible that I did a thread on awhile back..When I got the car I came so close to throwing out its old interior because it was trashed from all the years..The car was driven sometime in the 60's from Ohio to Tijuana Mexico an this interior was installed..
    For some strange reason I kept the interior which is odd for I have made an art of throwing away and removing anything that was not needed and weighed anything for the sake of speed.followed by drilling lots of holes..In High School the first thing I did was remove all the interior out of my 68 Chevelle including the dash pad and all the way down to the card board glove box insert, you know because it weighed so dam much, ha ha ha....some peoples kids......

Well I have had this car kicking around enough years now and I now find myself wanting to restore it to the old pics for the most part as stated in my first post on the car...I do not believe I just typed the word restore..Lets keep that to ourselves..I have always been the anti christ to the restorers and now I find myself doing the same thing, thankfully its to restore an old hotrod/drag car. It may not be a famous one with a rich history but my father was a part of its history along with our childhood and others before us....so that makes me feel better and makes it easier to embrace the idea..I must be getting old and sentimential as I age..it seems we all change in some way or another as the years pass by..

So I am clueless where to find the green material in the photos, I am guessing they may have used furniture material or something maybe that you would have found on kitchen chairs, I am only guessing.......Is their any vintage material guru's on the Hamb? I am truly out of my element on this one.......When I first got the car I hated this interior with a passion....now over the years I just love it and want to duplicate it...I have done some searching but have come up empty handed..Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated......Thanks Littleman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. egglestonkustoms

egglestonkustoms
    from swiowa

3. jonnycola

jonnycola

I was at an antique store today, and I saw a set of kitchen chairs, with the exact same pattern, like... exact same pattern, only in an off white color... I took a picture with my phone, cause I thought the pattern was neat.... but I cant get it to upload.

I'll try to go back there and see if there was a tag on the chair.

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Thanks Mr. Cola..............when I looked at the pattern it just screamed kitchen chairs, have no idea why....Littleman...too weird you saw them today !!!!....

5. jonnycola

jonnycola

Yeah, seriously... and to the point where I took a picture. Devine hot rod intervention.

[​IMG]

6. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Wow Jonny!!!!!! your the man..........this really narrows my search, just hope I can find some of the green laying around or with luck somewhere reproduced....Thanks a million...Littleman

7. jonnycola

jonnycola

[​IMG]

there's the whole chairs, for whatever thats worth...

I'll go back to that shop and see if there's some kind of a tag or something on the bottom of the chair, that might say who made it.

If you find any...get enough to do some old kitchen chairs with. They wanted a fortune for these.

8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Does anyone happen to know what this pattern would be called, such as Paisely or what have you?...Thanks Littleman

9. Johnny Devine...........haha

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I am really hoping someone will know what this pattern in the green is called ,if it had a name?...need to find some...Thanks,Littleman

11. I'll send an email to an Upholsterer that I know.
    Might get lucky.

12. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Ask KIRK if he has any...

Johnny that fucking funny...

Dave can I document this build? ya know what i'm saying.

P.

13. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Wow. Looks like a free for all jazz diner! Dig the heck out of it. When you find the name and a supplier, post it for all because it will be the new flat black! I can almost swear my grandmother had that kitchen set in gold when I was a kid. Probably got pitched when she passed 17 years ago...now I'd go scrounging to save the skins.

Sick!

14. eric

eric

may have been more popular than anyone thought...
    i was reading the Custom Cars 1960 Annual from Trend Books #189 on page 43 their is a '49 ford convertable running the exact same material but the caption says it was gray and black. wish i had a scanner, its actually pretty cool. takes some getting used to but you will definitly be the only person with it!

15. thekid

thekid
    from PDX

16. That is VERY cool! I have seen it in red. Zenor or Nads might know the name, those and others collect mid century stuff.

17. Appleseed

Appleseed

I'm with Evil... ask KIRK! I recall he bought out a mongo stash of fabric. Or he might know a guy , who knows a guy, who knows a guy...

18. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I am still on the hunt for this material w/ the pattern.....looks to be kichen dinette material..........Thanks, Littleman

19. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

You guessed it........I am still looking for the above green material.......I hope to find some.....Thanks, Littleman

20. Maybe Jen (or any other upholsterer) can make it for you?

21. Dzus

Dzus

That's some tough stuff to find. It was also used (believe it or not) by Larsen Boats in the '57-'59 time frame. It came in the standard black, white, green, blue, gray etc. I've been looking for some red for my '57 Larsen Thunderhawk forever.

There used to be an old restaurant in Northern MN that all the booths were done in that material. I can't remember where but I do remember being in awe because that was the largest amount of that material I had ever seen in one place. Sort of a Jurassic Park moment.

22. I believe that fabric was made by Nagahyde(sp)..Look up Van Waters & Rogers.They were distributors for it and have branches
    in various cities....Or just google the Nagahyde brand.

23. Littleman...Correct spelling is Naugahyde......There show to be several wholesalers of this fabric.I didnt find VanWaters&Rogers on the current list..type Naugahyde in your search bar,They will come up

24. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

25. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

26. It's hard to find because they skinned so many Naugas for uhpolstery that they're nearly extinct now.

27. how could you ever hate that stuff......it's great :D.

28. brucer

brucer
    from western ky

oh after seeing the white i love it, would look nice in a roadster.

29. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have spent allot of late hours surfing the web for the color and pattern I need the last couple of years......with no luck so far..........Thanks to anyone that has taken the time to look around.....I just know someone has a roll of it somewhere..............Littleman