Register now to get rid of these ads!

jerks who call on your cars you have for sale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomslik

tomslik

the one i've been getting lately is; "i'm calling for my dad(or my husband)"
    do NOT wait around for those.....
    if "dad" wants to talk about the car,put the fucker on the phone....

2. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

[​IMG]

Quite normal with these ,although the market is rising again as people reaslize a bargain when they see one,It's a mercedes W126 500SEC with full Euro options including high comp engine and ZERO emmisons equipment. MB's flagship car in it's day.

3. chopdtop

chopdtop

When I was selling my OT chopped mini truck I had guys come and look at it and then argue that they could build it for less. So I'd hand them a card with my number and tell them to call me when they started building their truck and reached my asking price so I could come and see it, because when they reached my asking price they wouldn't be able to drive it to me.

And then the guys that would say "Let me talk to the bank", I'd tell them to not waste their time and to just look for another truck.

And I couldn't tell you how many guys would cal and ask what kind of truck I was selling. The ad said custom, chopped, lowered. When they would ask if they could haul stuff in the bed I'd tll them they could do anything they wanted with the truck once they bought it. But I'd suggest that they should remove the carpet and upholstered panels first.

4. kustombypook

kustombypook

666 The number of the Beast.
    $665.95 retail price of the beast.
    $606.66 Wal-Mart price of the beast.

That is one of the best tag lines I have seen.

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Had a 66 Dodge Coronet wagon for sale once. I was the 2nd owner. The car had a poly 318, rebuilt 727, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3:23 gears, the large extra cooling capacity radiator, a perfect fuel tank (the same as 66 & 67 Chargers), a disc brake conversion and even a class 3 trailer hitch. It was a running driving car with a title. There was a bit of rust and it was a bit rough, but I figured it was worth my asking price od $200 in parts alone. Scrap value was around $100 at that time.

So some guy calls me up and plays 20 questions. How does it drive, brakes good, trans good, rear end good, hows the body, got a title, the list went on. When he gets all done he offeres me $65 for it! I told him it was worth $100 as scrap. He got upset and hung up on me. About 2 weeks later he calls me back, still got that wagon? Yep. I'll still give you $65 for it, I have the cash. Told him I would junk it out first and hung up. Another week or so goes by and he calls me again. Still got the wagon? NO, I junked it out. You did WHAT??????? I said, "man, you told me it was junk and I should junk it out, so I did." Did you save the rear end? No. Did you save the trans? No man, I junked the whole thing out. OH man, where did you take it? Don't matter, I watched them load it into the crusher and smash it! Man, what did you do that for? Because you told me to. When I hung up, I think he was crying.

Really, I parted the car out. Got $150 for the rear axle. Got $250 for the motor and trans. Got $25 for the fuel tank. Kept the disc brakes and the rad and a few other parts. Got $125 out of the shell, and it sat around that yard for a few years, they sold the front clip and some of the glass.

Every time I see a posting like this one, I think about that ass. Hope he learned something from it, but I doubt it. Oh well, I sure got a laugh from it. Gene

6. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

Ha, story sounds so familiar!!!

7. piche582

piche582
    from Sonora, Ca

I've thankfully been able to weed out all the dumb asses by just hanging up on them on the phone. Plus I live a good hour from the closest major town and 2 hours from any real metropolitan area, so that really cuts down on tire kickers. Everytime I've had someone come up to look at something I'm selling, they've left with it. I usually try not to waist their time too by sending them pictures of anything they want on the car, just so their are no surprises.

8. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Ditto

9. john56h

john56h

How many of you guys have collected deposits...only to have the joker who posted the deposit never call or come back again?

10. you guys shouldn't be so mercenary when selling your cars. Many years ago I was selling some cheap two hundred dollar transportation car. Guy shows up with what must have been his whole family. Wife, five kids, and dog all stuffed in the most raggedy assed piece of shit I'd ever seen. Car was sitting on the street bleeding from every gasket, and I swear I could see the air in the tires. The kids are polite, the dog isn't barking like crazy, and the guy is so polite he's giving me a sugar high. He doesn't try to lowball me, doesn't tell me the car is a piece of shit, and digs in his pocket and starts to count me out singles and fives to buy the car. The money is coming out of every pocket. About the third pocket, the little girl askes if they were going to be able to eat tonight. That did it. I tell him to put the money away. He looks at me like he'd done something wrong. I hand him the keys and tell him Merry Christmas(middle of july). I thought he was gonna die right in my driveway. I put the final nail in his coffin when I gave him ten bucks to put gas in it.
    Still get a christmas card every year. Wouldn't trade that good karma for any two hundred dollars.

11. Mooosman

Mooosman

That's a great story. I agree, you got some good Karma off of that. The car probably helped them out 10x what the $200 would have done for you.

Thumbs up

Nick:)

12. last year i sold a 60 impala 2drht on E-GAY. the ad was very descriptive, had a lot of pictures, and just prety much told the whole story. the high bidder only asked a few questions before the auction was over. after it was over the questions started flying! the ad said project car, and that i had not even tried to start it. the pictures showed missing engine parts, the interior was out of the car, seats shredded etc. AFTER the auction he asked if it had a spare tire, where the carpet was, how the exhuast was etc. he wanted fly in and drive it home from indiana to new york! when i finally refunded his deposit and told him to go away he still didn't get it. the next high bidder was happy as hell to get it. payed to get it shipped to houston, then called to thank me when it got there!

in indiana the plate does not go with the car. seems like every buyer wants to use my plate to drive thier new car car home. i allways take a plate with me along with CASH!

13. So, when the guy starts telling you about this and that, and how much this is gonna cost, and how much that is gonna cost.....Just tell him, so, you're not interested, right, and hang up on him.

14. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

I don't understand why you guys are so wacko about people not having paper money in their pockets or having to talk to the bank. I live in the damn city and don't carry much cash for a reason. Thanks to the magic of debit cards, I hardly ever need it and the bank's only open when I'm at work, so pulling money out on something that's probably a turd (and cars for sale usually are) is kind of silly. I've never gone to look at a car and bought it with cash on the spot, except for my sport coupe body, as I'd had a reliable source give me a rundown on what it looked like. As for talking to the bank, any asshole who's got a decent job and hasn't gone apeshit on the credit cards or bought a $60k pickup truck on a $40k income can get a personal loan that's not bound to blue book values. Don't get me wrong, I've been offered lowball money ($200 on a rust-free '72 240z in Ohio), but lots of us legitimate buyers don't carry cash.

On the flipside, I've never met as many weirdos and flakes as I have connected to the hot rod world, and I played in bands for 15 years. I think it might be worse in California, though, the old car scene around here's so small that bad reputations stick to people pretty good...

15. timmy25252

timmy25252

Had that happen to my dad once. A guy gave him a deposit of $100 and for the next few days had a few people call about the O/T truck but had to turn them away. About 2 weeks goes by and the guy calls saying he doesn't want the truck anymore and wants his deposit back. Well the guy gave up on trying to get the money back but we were stuck with the truck for about a month since we had to turn away other possible buyers earlier. So for now on one of the first things we tell people is we don't accept deposits. The first person with the cash takes it home.

16. I don't expect everyone to walk around with big cash. BUT, if you are specifically at my place to possibly buy my car, and do not have some legit deposit cash on you, you shouldn't be here. I'm going to look at a car tomorrow that may, or may not be a waste of time. But, I will have a couple or 3 hundred with me for a deposit fo sho

17. I had a guy leave me $500 NON-REFUNDABLE cash deposit on a car. I gave him a certain amount of time to produce the balance. He said, hell, I won't need THAT much time. But, he did not have the balance. At that time, he gave me another $300 to extend the deadline, and I never heard from him again. There's all types out there

18. phat rat

phat rat

Well I wasn't going to add anything here but. If your going to look at something and don't want to pay cash at the time at least have a substantial deposit. I don't take promises only deposits or full payment. If you were leaving to go to the bank or whatever and I don't have money I would tell you I would only hold it long enough for you to drive to the bank and back. If it wasn't within a 30 min drive I'm not holding it. HARDASS attitude, YOU BET. I won't lose a sale because someone has to ask the wife or their bankers permission to buy. True story, back in July of 92 I had a 74 Vette for sale guy comes out looks it over and says yes I want it. I need to go into town and withdraw the money out of the bank. Must have lost his map to my place as he hasn't made it back yet. Car of course is long gone. The guy that did buy it was surprised when I told him I would only hold it for the time he figured it would take him to drive to the bank and back, he didn't bring any thing to put down.
    When I go to look I have the money on me I believe in the old saying CASH TALKS BULLSHIT WALKS. Think of it this way would you go looking to buy at a swap and think you could come back tomorrow or the next day because you don't have the cash and it would still be there. If you really want to have calls advertise something that really is unusual. Back in the early 90's I had an old Jeep for plowing the driveway, it was just the cowl and front. seat. I listed it as a Doodlebug in the local paper. I bet I had over a hundred calls just asking what a Doodlebug was. LOL

19. spudshaft

spudshaft

I'm enjoying the hell out of this so BUMP.

I've also had a dipshit calling asking if he could make a daily driver out of a car with no engine. It's the coolest.

20. Wow I'm getting ready to sell two of my o/t rides, after reading all these posts I think Ill just take em to the scrappers :) I hate haggling, I hope this goes better than most of these posts have.

21. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

whats bad is when your brother does that to you. 3 cars ive sold to family members. all 3 cars wound up being a bad deal. never again.

22. InPrimer

InPrimer

Hey, have some fun. The next time put on a set of jumper cables under the hood and tell them all 'ya need is a battery, its a new electric hybred... also OT I'm selling a hot tub and the tire kickers are lo balling and wasting my time

23. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

only had one car that turned into a tire kickers paradise [or was that nightmare?]

'65 biscayne 2 door, i got it with no motor/trans, put a small block in it with a th350, and made it road worthy. needed interior work and paint, but a very solid good driving car [was my daily for a summer], put it on the lawn for 2k. guy stops, looks it over, and starts bitching that it needs paint, interior work etc., and rants about what it'll cost to finish the car! i told him politely that all that was reflected in my price, he continued to bitch, so i told him to get the fuck out of my yard, he was not happy, haha.

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Twice I had this happen...

a middle-eastern guy insisted that I sell him my finished Boss 302 for less than 1/2 my asking price. He actually wanted to fist fight over it!! WTF!!! I got in the car and acted like I was gonna run him over. This was at a gas station and I had for sale signs in it.

Another time some asshole wanted me to sell him my Bronco for $1500 less than my price ($5000) without even seeing it. In his mind had me convinced I'd never get my price. So like it was totally normal I said "...ok, lemme get a pencil and paper and give ya directions to come and get it. Hold on." (Phone call). "Ok I'll wait..." So I set the phone down and went back to work. What a dumb fuck. I hung it up about 20min later. He musta got the message, huh?

25. When someone bitches about the car, and I'm certain he's not a buyer, I sometimes tell them, Hell, you're not very observant. Is that all you found wrong? There's a LOT more wrong with the car than the few insignificant things you've noticed. Maybe you wanna take a better look.............on your way out

26. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

when I have a car for sale I usually get a shitload of calls all asking the same thing I listed in the add, then you get the guys that think there the best negotiators trying to buy the item for half the price its listed. Its simple if you dont have the cash on the spot to back up your offer dont waist my time, asking bankers,your wife,grandma,dad or whoever else if you can buy something means you dont have a brain of your own so dont waist a sellers time. When I go buy a car I always bring all the cash whether its a hundred dollars or six thousand, if I want the car I make sure I have the means to take it with me -trailer, call a tow truck. A bank card,check,debitcard , credit card, has no use to me when Im sellin something CASH IS KING all other forms of payment are useless

27. One more thing. If a guy calls me on the phone and lowballs the shit out of me on the price? I tell him yes, When he comes to my house I demand the cash, before I take him to the car. The guy will say, well, I wanna see the car before I give you the cash. I'll say why? You made the fucking offer WITHOUT SEEING THE CAR

28. Mooosman

Mooosman

As a buyer, if you don't bring CASH with you when you see the car and start making offers, your bargaining power goes down the drain.

If you hammer the guy down on the price, and go back and forth for a while, and then when he accepts your offer you say "I just have to talk to my bank now..." WTF? You don't get to do that! If you make some crazy lowball offer, and the guy accepts the offer because he's hard up for money, you must be able to pull that cash out and give it to him on the spot.

Some of you guys who bring debit cards to buy cars have probably missed out on some good deals in the past! If you're going to negotiate the guy down to your price, you have to be able to give him the cash, get the car, and RUN away before he reconsiders it!

As a seller, if you come to my house and start haggling with me over the price, you damn well better be holding SOME cash in your pocket! Otherwise you're just wasting my time. I don't want to waste 20 minutes talking to you, getting to a price, then when we're all done, you give the: "Now I just need to ask my wife about it...":mad:

CASH TALKS. You'd be amazed what people will take when you flash the money in their face...

Nick:D

29. I'm gonna try to buy something later on today. CASH, don't leave home without it! Or, that's a Benji wrapped around a stack of ones, and I'm really headed to the TITTY BAR! hahaha
    [​IMG]

30. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

That's how it's done!
    When sellers see that, they are magically put into a trance.
    That's how all these idiots and scumbag are helpful. They soften people up and wear them down, when a REAL buyer shows up- shazam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.