Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cosworth Vega posi rear

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by narducci, Feb 6, 2008.

1. narducci

narducci

I can pick up a Cosworth Vega posi rear complete for free, is it worth the effort, is it usable in any form for a mild ( <300hp)powered rod?

2. racer5c

racer5c

Is the engine there too?

3. narducci

narducci

No just the rear end

4. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

The Vega rear is a 7.5 SIMILAR to other Chevy 7.5 rears but not the same. The gears and internal parts are different. The only good thing about them is that they are narrow.
    They held up in Vegas but remember the biggest tire they were offered with was a B 70-13. If you hook one up with some big tires I'm not sure if they would hold up.
    I ran the stock rear in my 72 V8 Vega but used some tall, narrow 13s. The engine was a 235 hp 327. It could smoke the tires for half a block but the rear didn't break.

5. narducci

narducci

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yes it's worth having, hell I'd just about pay to have it shipped to me... great for some of the smaller cars, wonder if it'd fit my Anglia

7. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

The early Vega rears were fairly limited in upgrades. The later Monza rears are very upgradeable with common s10 parts. I would take it for free though.

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

for free, even if its BENT its free!

lookit the price of steel, then let us know where it is if you dont think its worth the effort

9. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Pick it up then Contact Zman he needs a rear to put under his 57 Anglia

10. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Z we think alike this went up while I was posting for him to grab it and contact you !

11. narducci

narducci

OK OK I went to look at it today. It is a perfect width ( 55")for the car Im building. I had too much crap in the back of the truck to pick it up. Its not going anywhere. A guy I work with bought a couple of 9" ford axles and this was thrown in. We help each other out and he said I can have it.
    It will be in the garage before Saturday!

Thanks for the info, guys

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Cosworths all used the 7.5 and a torque arm, even when the standard vega still used a 6.5

They share parts with later 7.5s but you have to turn down the pinion to accept the smaller pinion bearing in the H body housing, nobody makes the H body specific R&Ps anymore. The housing should have a big ugly torque arm mount cast in.

At any HP level you should look into a 28 spline carrier (26 stock) out of a late 7 5/8 S10/Fbody rear. And custom axles.

Personally you couldn't pay me to scratch-build any kind of performance car around a 7.5. Broken a half dozen of those junk SOBs. My late model F body just keeps chewing thru clutch type posis because they're physically so small. And that car doesn't represent any of the ones I've broken, despite heading for it's 3rd carrier at 80K

good luck whatever you choose

13. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

I used a posi rear from under a Vega wagon under the 327 powered Vega I built about 30 years ago. I ran a stock size tires and could smoke them at will. I suspect it lived only because it never hooked up.