Register now to get rid of these ads!

1935-1936 Ford pickup tech for the masses

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Joe Daddy

Joe Daddy

Awesome, tech. Thanks. I was running outside as i was reading and looking over at my 35 hauler. Anybody out there interested, I got a extra hood and grill in ok condition and also a 36 grill. PM me for further info. Thanks again.

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That is an awesome tech......I have been schooled......thanks Root.

3. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

would it be a good idea then to runa 36 grill and radiator on a 35 to help cooling if you were going to run a flathead and would it be noticeable if you did?

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

I dunno Jay. I have an original radiator that my grandpa ordered for mine. He paid an extra 90 dollars for it in 36. It holds a buttload of water. A crackhead would give his left nut for all the copper in this radiator.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

Shoot me a physical mail address.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Going out tomorrow....no mail service though.

7. Burny

Burny

Great post.

8. hemi35

hemi35
    from Australia

Great post! I have never seen a 35 pickup grille with the tab welded to the back for the V8 badge? Here is a shot of some of my 35 grilles, the left one is NOS & doesnt have the tab. Maybe the tab is an early release only?[​IMG]

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's interesting.

10. Root,

What are the chances you could expand this a little to address the differences between the cabs of the '35, '36, & '37?

Is the '37 hood the same as a '36? Do the inner fenders interchange between all three years?

Great thread. Thanks!

JH

11. daleeric

daleeric
    from Omak

Great article and information. My 37 has a 36 grill and hood sides, so it was great to see the information. The inner fender panels are different on my 37 than 36.

12. Deadhead

Deadhead
    from N,E,Texas

Man thats some kind of info i thought i had a 35
    when it looks like i have a 36

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs likes this.
  13. NOTCH

NOTCH

Thanks for the tech information.. shit, i didn't know there were so many changes in the those two year's.. thanks

14. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

You most definitely have a '36 (cab at least).

Root, THANKS for this tech. In MAC's book, there is that great schematic but I really want/need a plan view (straight down) with dimensions. I got my '37 and the floor had been cut out in preparation of channeling the whole schpeel (fenders and all). I'm doing more work at getting the chassis to sit right and will channel the sheetmetal much less than the PO was going to. I'd like to get as many measurements as possible!

Thanks again Root!!

15. moefuzz

moefuzz

Great Tech Root!

Much appreciated

moe

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Deadhead you look to have a 35 hood, grill and a 36 cab.

17. great info root ...

18. Dirk35

Dirk35

Neither of my 35 Grilles have the little tab for a emblem either Root. Nor does my 36 grille. I have never seen that before.

19. Roothawg

Roothawg

Only the cool kids get the tab Dirk.

20. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Roothawg
    Got the schematic.
    Thanks
    Ol Blue

21. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Interestingly, in MAC'S book they show some early production trucks with the passenger car bumpers (if you really need to rationalize running one). I just think they look cool.

22. Dirk35

Dirk35

Root and Jeem:
    The 35 Pickup was offered as a Dulxe and came with the Swan neck shaped Shifter, and the "V" shaped passenger car bumper. My truck had both. I dont know what else was part of the Dulxe package though. One of my books discussed the option package, but I cannot find it and only found a bunch of crap for sale when I googled it.

I did find some stuff though, and these are not my truck or site, but these links show some with the same "V" shaped bumper in stock form. I can get ya a picture of mine if you like.

http://www.35pickup.com/35Pickup.html

http://www.35pickup.com/35Truck5.jpg

http://images.ford-trucks.com/pictorial/big/1935_ford_1.jpg

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124606

23. junkmonger

junkmonger

Great thread! I saw that V passenger bumper on a '36 pickup in TRJ as well. Can't recall which issue, but I'll look for it.

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Any resto/tech sites for these 3 years of pickup? I've seen the '35pickup site and covers a lot, but are there more I'm missing?

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

Dorin, I don't know for a fact that they never installed them, but I haven't read anything that would indicate that. I am sure Ford probably did offer some different option packages but I couldn't prove it either way. If you find that article I would be interested in a copy.

26. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

Hi
    My 36 has the dropped "V" front bumper on it, but it could have been added sometime along the way I suppose.
    Ol Blue

[​IMG]

27. Some good info on the 1937 Ford trucks..... taken from: http://www.oldbleu.com/

The sheet metal on the 1937 Ford commercial vehicles was basically warmed over from the 1935-36 models. For the first time, all 1937 Ford vehicles sported a Vee windshield. All of the passenger cars and most light duty trucks shared a 112 inch wheelbase frame, virtually the same as 1935 and 1936.

The Ford Commercial Cars utilized the same fenders, running boards and headlights as the previous two years. The cowl was modified to fit the split windshield and the grille was restyled. The pickup truck bed was 4 inches longer than previous models.

Two levels of trim were available on 1937 trucks. The standard model had a single windshield wiper, painted windshield frame, single horn and a grille with a painted center portion. The deluxe version had two windshield wipers, two chrome horns, chrome windshield frame, stainless steel trim around the hood louvers and a chrome center portion of the grille.

Attached are a few pics of 1937 grilles and hood sides. I also attached a pic of a 1936 hood. You can see the differences in the louvers & location of the V-8 & Ford emblems.

JH

Attached Files:

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Holy shi-ite muslim Batman! Nice deluxe grille!!

Harrison, thanks for the link.

29. The blue grille & the truck with the bare metal hood belong to the gentleman who owns the "oldbleu" website. He is a really nice man.

The red grille & '36 hood are the start of something great.

JH

30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Harrison.