Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Chevy 3100 Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adidasink, Jan 31, 2008.

1. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Okay guys....I did some searching on here and was able to find a bunch of answers for questions I have regarding my 49 3100 (Pics below)...but I still had some questions left over:

But first a preface....my plans are to sell this truck.....and really the only things left to do to get this truck safe for the road is to replace all the brake lines, weld in new front floor pans, and I would like to rewire the truck and get rid of the out dated original wiring. So what I am asking is how to do things with a very, very, very minimal investment involved. Labor will be done by myself....but I want to steer away from having to invest any more money then is necessary....with that said:

- 1st question is regarding slamming the truck, or at least lowering it as low as possible using the stock suspension. Since this is my truly older project (my others have been a 67 Camaro and most recently a 63 Nova) I have never worked with both front and rear leaf spring suspensions. Keeping in mind I want to keep this as low budgeted as possible......how does one go about lowering the front and rear truck as much as possible without having to do C Notches in the rear and purchasing a drop axle up front.

- 2nd question is bench seats. Since I do not have a bench seat (or any seat for that matter)....what other bench seats either bolt right in, or with very little modification fit........

Here is what I am working with:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    -John

2. BowtieBrains

BowtieBrains
    from KY

If your wanting to do things on the cheap you can take some of the leaf springs out and lower it down. You could also use a lowering block or something. As for the seat Ive heard that a 88-98 full size Chevy seat works well.

3. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I will be checking on the seat...thanks for the huge tip!!

Also....I hate using blocks...but if it will lower the truck just enough to give it a better stance...without having to weld on a subframe up front...perfect...the next owner can tackle that!

Are there any specific lowering blocks (from another make/model) or manufacturer I should be looking for? I am guessing it is a matter of measuring the width of the frame rails and then getting a block that will fit on those rails....then buying some new leaf spring u-bolts and having at it......

Am I missing anything else?