Register now to get rid of these ads!

1st American Graffiti tragedy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Jan 30, 2008.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Those that really know me know i'm a huge A.G. nut. Along with my dad its what helped get me in to this stuff when i was a kid.

Candy "Debbie" Clark just called me to let us know that Manuel Padilla Jr. (CARLOS) just passed away. I rather not get in to details but he is gone. Born in 1956 i consider that to be a young age and not old enough to leave us. He just started getting himself back in to the light and touring with fellow Pharoahs member Bo "Joe" Hopkins around the states.

Padilla started his acting career at an early age. I remember seeing him in 1960's Tarzan Reruns, of course A.G., but also remember seeing him in early Happy Days episodes (the good ones) - when Fonze wore a medium blue "Sir Jacket".

Rest In Peace !

2. Skrap metal

Skrap metal

3. He was at the Primer Nats last year! Bummer... I asked him a couple questions about doing the movie. He was really a cool guy.

4. Who cut the cheese.....

RIP

5. "he who smelt it...dealt it..." LOL!!!!

6. "you can't call shotgun for whole night,get in the back,punk..."

7. adios and R.I.P. Carlos

8. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

So sorry to hear this terrible news.....I was talking to him at the LA Roadster Show last year and we ended up bumping into each other later that day and he remembered me and we shared a drink and some more talk under a tree for a while.......very friendly guy......he told me he was going to see if he could talk Bo out of *draggin'* me!!

RIP....too soon gone........

Brucie

9. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

prayers with his family and friends. RIP much too young!

10. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Damn that fucking sucks......my friend Lumpy is the #1 A-G fan he is going to shit.

11. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

What??? I saw him saturday at the GNRS, walking by, was I hallucinating???
    He looked great

12. Big Tony

Big Tony

Shame and at a young age... RIP and Thanks for the memories

13. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Cool guy. I talked to him at Paso..... mostly to be close to Candy Hottie.

14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Damn sorry to hear this.RIP to him and prayers for hid family.I remember seeing him in some of the tarzan movies and as a member of the dukes gang in one of those happy days episodes.:(

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sad news indeed. I'll be watching AG this weekend in his memory. I guess one an angel won't be riding shotgun. Cruise in peace, bro.

16. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

I saw him at Paso last year , he said to me " you look like you want to be a Pharoah"

Sad news......

17. flyin-t

flyin-t

That sucks, same age as me, way to young to go.

But he's not the first from the film, Wolfman Jack's been gone a long time.

18. Tony

Tony

Damn shame for sure....
    Prayer's out to his family and friends..
    R.I.P.

19. Rich R

Rich R
    from SoCal

Wow what a bummer, I just spent some time with him on Saturday at the gnrs, we walked around for awhile and he was telling me how they put him in the dragster and fired it up, he had not done that before and couldn't believe the rush he got from the power and noise, he was diggin it. Super cool guy.
    So sorry to hear the sad news. Just shows how quickly things can happen.
    My condolences.

20. I walked up to him at the Primer Nats and said "who cut the cheese?" He laughed and said "he who smelt it,dealt it". I got such a kick out of that. To me it was like Dinero saying"you talking to me?". Classic...

21. I saw him in the booth at GNRS on Saturday with Bo...nobody around the booth at all. He was standing up at the front of the booth when I went by with the family. I gave him a wave and I got a head nod and a "how's it goin?" back from him. I wish I'd stopped...

22. fat49chevy

fat49chevy
    from Onta Ca

Geez i met him at the gnrs and was star struck, very cool guy. that sux man. rip brother.

23. That's a shame. I remember him most as Jai, even though my favorite movie is A.G. Wish I could have met him. RIP

[​IMG]

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You know for years every time I have had the chance to talk to any of the actors from that movie I have thanked them for preserving our history. That could have been almost any town in this country on any Friday or Saturday night in the late 50s early 60s For me it was Walnut Creek. There was even a Mel's. The movie will outlast us all. A pretty neat thing to have been a part of for all of them and they come to the shows and talk to us and know what we're all about. Pretty cool! We will miss him.

25. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

thats very young, any idea of what happened..?

As an OZ citizen this moved me more than the passing of a certain broken back actor...:(

26. Muttley

Muttley

Thats my favorite line in the whole film. I met him in Paso in '06 and got an 8x10 of the Pharaohs signed by him and Bo Hopkins, the two of them couldnt have been any nicer to everyone in that autograph line.

27. AA/FD

AA/FD
    from Brea,CA

Hi, a friend of mine sent this link to me about Manuel's passing and I had to sign up so I could reply. I own the dragster Manuel sat in while we fired it up. He did really enjoy it and I have the photos of him to prove it. He was a very nice young man and hung out with us for awhile after his "cackle". I find it very hard to believe he is no longer with us. I had Debbie's phone number somewhere as she has been in one of my dragsters for a fire up as well but can't find it. I would like to send some photos to his family if I can be directed on how to do so. Axel poated he talked to Debbie, maybe she can direct me in the right direction. My email is [email protected].
    Thank you, John Ewald

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sad to hear. Our condolences to the family.

29. sad news. he starred in two of my favourite movies ever! one being AG and the other being Dime With a Halo where he was only 7 years old! a great loss....R.I.P