Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone ever paint an optima battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henryj429, Jan 30, 2008.

1. henryj429

henryj429

I have a nice little spot under the hood of the Zephyr where I can just tuck in an Optima battery. The problem is that the car will be black and the interior tan and Optima batteries are come in ugly colors like red, blue and yellow. So, should I try and paint the battery? Anybody know what material the case if molded from? Maybe plastic bumper paint or interior paint might work.

Any ideas guys?

2. dbradley

dbradley

They make an "interior" paint and a prep both in rattle cans. Most of the mail order joints have it. I've also seen it at PepBoys. Sticks to anything, if you use the spray prep first.

3. A friend of mine painted the tops of his batteries. He just sanded the plastic, sprayed an adhesion promoter then primer, sanded the primer and used the left over paint he had from the exterior of his truck. Any place that sells automotive paint should be able to get you all the right stuff to paint plastic.

4. All the paint mfrs now make paints to be used on plastic. No primer, just straight paint. I have used the black Krylon before and it sticks good. My only issue was it was too glossy for my liking and application. Not sure if they come in lower gloss levels or not.

5. Skirv

Skirv

Just tossing this out there. This company makes battery covers for Optimas that look like vintage tar top batteries. Just offering another option.

http://www.tartopper.com/

[​IMG]

6. old beet

old beet

Krylon comes in gloss, semi gloss and flat black................OLDBEET

7. henryj429

henryj429

8. why not just make a cover for the battery??

9. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

why not one of those cool $200 billet battery covers :) (joke)

10. gas pumper

gas pumper

I just did one, wiped it off with thinner, shot it with black rustoleum rattle can. It's better than red.

11. Sorry, no pics, but YES batteries can be painted. The quick / easy method, spray with Krylon "Fusion" let dry and paint color of choice with any type paint.

The "professional" method : scuff, coat with adhesion promoter, primer with vinyl dye , paint color of choice with paint of choice.

12. what part of "make" one you didnt understand????????

13. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Use Krylon Fusion... stuff is killer on plastic.

- Joe

14. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

krylon products all work good