Register now to get rid of these ads!

AD Truck done up like the older ones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adidasink, Jan 28, 2008.

1. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I did some searching....scratch that....a lot of searching on the web, and on the H.A.M.B. to find out if anyone has attempted to create a truck similar to the one I have attached (hope I didn't offend whomever this truck is...I LOVE it!) using an AD style truck? I have a 49 3100 that was either going to sit up on a S-10 frame or made into something similar to this. My plans are to sell the rest of the parts and just keep the cab and doors.....

Attached Files:

2. raven

raven

Please, if you are going to use an S-10 chassis, please use the front fenders as well. It wouldn't look right exposed.
    r

3. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I have thought about that many times. I see it both ways....thats why I really need to see one for myself....to know just how it would look. I also wouldnt be using an s-10 chassis if I did the truck up similar to the picture I posted.

4. FastLivin

FastLivin

I'm building a 51 AD truck right now. It's not going to be anything as radical as the one in the pic. Mine will be more along the lines of a shop truck. Something to beat around town in. I might be interested in your factory frame and some parts when you get rid of them. I'm in the dallas area. Good luck on your build.

5. chopped

chopped

I'm having a senior moment, what do they call those trucks? Lots on here about them. Would a search for Rudys Truck pull them up?

6. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I have found pictures, tech articles...but they all seem to deal with older 20's to early 40's style trucks....nothing in the AD truck years....but I did a search on Rudy's Truck and found a bunch of great stuff!!

I guess I need to see a truck like Rudy's done with a 49 3100 cab is all!!!

7. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

You should check out Stovebolt.com, for Chevy truck lovers and lots of guys there that have done the s-10 thing if that is the way you are going.

Otherwise, if you are going more traditional, it is pretty much the same premise as any kind of build. Get a decent frame, set up your supension, then engine/tranny, then cab, then box, etc....

I would also try some of the other boards for the 'rat rod' interest... killbillet.com, etc.

Got to agree with Raven though, please don't expose an S-10 chassis. Fender it if you are going that way.

8. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

You don't see them because the firewall and cowl on an AD is ugly without fenders and a hood. The S-10 suspension is also too ugly to be out in the open.

FYI...I have an AD on an S-10 frame, but it runs the whole front cap...and I love it.

9. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

I promise...that if I go the S10 route it will be fully fendered.....

I am just at a cross roads as to which type of build to go with. I love the look of the "rat rod" style (even though I would hate to have a truck/car that gets coined that phrase)...but I also love the looks of the AD style trucks sitting on a more conventional frame like the S10's.....

But I will not have an uncovered S10 frame....

10. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

So if i go the "rat rod" style....then sell the 49 and get something a little older with sexier cowl and firewall......makes sense....

11. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

look up "the ugly truck build" there is a guy by the name of Richard or something building one fairly similar... i think he even used that picture as a reference also...

12. adidasink

adidasink
    from Denton, TX

Yeah I saw that build. That is where I found that picture.....

I have a love afair with trucks.....and I love how that one sits....that is truly the type of truck I want to build.....but the type of truck I have currently prohibits me from building one that way.....as stated earlier...I am at a crossroads in regards to what kind of truck to build. I can start of selling my 49....then purchasing a different cab...and getting all the parts in line to build what I really want.