Register now to get rid of these ads!

The AV8 is on the Road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gashog, Jan 27, 2008.

1. gashog

gashog

Saturday evening January 26 1045PM
    The generator doesn't seem to be charging, and I only went up and down the driveway since I couldn't use the headlights, but she's rolling under her own power!

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  2. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

I bet that felt great! Nice lookin 29 highboy you have there.

3. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Nice job man! Looks sweet!

I hope I'm doing what you just did in a couple months!

4. oldbuzzard50

oldbuzzard50

Congrats, Doesn't that feel great having that first run no matter how short it is. It only gets better!

5. gashog

gashog

It felt FANTASTIC! I've built loads of muscle cars over the years but this is my first hotrod. I know it's only a hundred horse or so motor, but man, she pulls like a rocketship :)

It's been just over 2 years since I started on the car. I spent the whole first year planning the build and buying parts. I spent the next six months sorting out the suspension steering and brakes; got the engine in and running over the summer; and installed the pedals MC and brake lines and built the wiring harness in the fall.

6. av8

av8

Congrats! It looks great, and the world needs more AV8s!:D

Mike

7. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

8. gashog

gashog

Here's a couple more detail shots of the car:

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  9. flatford39

flatford39

Great looking AV8. Is that the Tardell repo Deuce K member or is that a cut down original??? Also what pedals did you end up using.

I really like that you used the original gas tank as that is what I am doing as well with my 31 roadster.

10. 41woodie

41woodie

Sounds like fun, check to make sure that the generator is properly grounded. EZ thing to overlook but it won't charge if it isn't

11. damn dude the car is bitchin , you are making some of us look really bad!! congratz man..

12. gashog

gashog

Generators don't work unless you remember to put the brush springs back after you've had them apart (trust me, i know :)

Thanks for the kudos on the tank! The stocker was in good shape so I figured I''d keep it and do something a little different. It's a real 32 K Member that was pulled out of an old AV8 rod. Pedals AND wishbone are also 32 Ford.

Here's a couple better pictures from this afternoon after I sorted out the generator and drove over to my Mom's house. The brakes went out just when I was starting to feel comfortable and I had to slip between the two cars ahead of me at a light. Scared the beegeebee's outta me. Glad I had a parking brake!

Attached Files:

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"Generators don't work unless you remember to put the brush springs back after you've had them apart (trust me, i know " I've done myself in a couple of times by using the old Ford trick of hooking the springs on the holders to make getting the brushes over the armature easy...then forgetting to pop them loose again.

14. That's a nice looking car ! Congrats man, a job well done.

15. gashog

gashog

LOL, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I DID!

16. 52HardTop

52HardTop

The brake problems, were the rigid lines on the wisbone in the rear part of the problem? Doesn't the rear go up and down? Why no brake hoses to the backing plates? I'm just curious if I see something.
    Dom

17. Man, that's cute!

Keep us posted on the thing as you work the bugs out.

Sam.

18. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

19. gashog

gashog

The car has the stock Model A closed driveshaft and banjo, so the whole rear moves with the radius rods. The motion is all at the u-joint socket on the rear of the trans. I have a flex line there that connects the hard rear lines to the back of the model A crossmember (see pix above).

I think the problem was that that I didn't center the shoes when I readjusted them after I had the drums off to put in the bearings and keys. I noticed that the parking brake seemed to have alot less stroke than when I adjusted it too, so I bet that's it. Kinda spokey that you can have no pedal with poorly adjusted rear brakes. I probably need to check the fronts too now that I have 5 miles or so on the car.

20. 52HardTop

52HardTop

Hey gashog, I see that now. I couldn't see that the line was flexable. I like to use these forums for my free education. So, at times I ask questions and sure enough learn new stuff all the time.
    Dominic

21. gashog

gashog

Tell me more about the Williamsburg Rod Run!
    I need to take the car in for the exhaust and sort out a few gremlims but I was shooting for having it ready for the AACA flea market in Hickory the beginning of March.

22. gashog

gashog

No prblem 52 hardtop, we all live and learn. Having cut my teeth on 60's cars, it took me quite a while to get my arms around the whole closed driveshaft/wishbone thing :)

23. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Bitchin' ride man!!!

24. gashog

gashog

Thanks drusss32.
    It looks like the Rod Run conflicts with Spring Carlisle! Me and the Mrs. been doing that show for close to 20 years. I don't see how I can make the Rod Run...

25. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

When I saw your post, I couldnt help but think of the Jack Baymoore and the Bandits song 'AV8 Boogie'... it even mentions the brakes, we just gotta trade LA for VA... Nice ride bro.

Jack Baymoore and the Bandits
    AV8 Boogie

Well, in a small town down Louisiana
    Lived the craziest cats that you've ever seen
    They fill 'em up with beer and start jumpin' around
    To the mighty roar of the V8 sound

[Chorus]
    Do the A-V8 boogie (A-V8 boogie)
    A-V8 boogie (A-V8 boogie)
    A-V8 boogie, you just gotta jump around

Well, them souped up engines, sure got what it takes
    But I wouldn't depend my life on the brakes
    'cause they're passing cars as they were standing still
    But if they try to stop, they're in for a thrill

On Saturday night them crazy beers pour down
    They all think they have the hottest rig in town
    There's Camtwister Henry and Hot Rod Joe
    Burnin' them skins, holler go, man, go!

[Chorus]
    Do the A-V8 boogie (A-V8 boogie)
    Aaaah, let's rev it up now!

If you take a model A, put in a Flathead Ford
    Dern Tooten feller, you won't get bored
    'Cause them hopped up jalopies really blow and go
    I said, "watch it cats, here comes the State Patrol"

Does the A-V8 boogie (A-V8 boogie)

26. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

great car , I love it !!!

What did you need to do to make those hydraulic brakes work on the model A rear end ? (besides putting them upside down )
    I am planning on using my model A rear in my own A/V8 project myself ...

thanks ,

27. gashog

gashog

Thanks for all the compliments!

The rear brakes are the later 46-48 partial floating style. Although the backing plates are installed on opposite sides, the cylinders remain on their original sides to keep the big bores on the main shoes. You'll need to drill a couple extra holes to mount them on the upside-down backing plates.

You have a couple choices on how to correct for the shorter axle length on the early banjo. Some guys machine the backing plate mounting flanges for the clearance needed between the drums and backing plates. I just zipped about an 1/8" off the outer lip of the backing plates and the inner lips of the drums with a cutting wheel on my die grinder.

Finally, you need to put about a 1/4" wide chamfer on the outer edge of the linings so they don't rub on the inside of the drums.

Attached Files:

28. gashog

gashog

A couple more detail shots including the stock Model A steering box, the generator mount I made up to use with the Edelbrock racing super dual, the spoon pedal & a shot of the way the car was when I bought it for grins :)

Attached Files: