Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford 5 window race car junkyard via ebay score

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don Moyer, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Ok, I admit its a bit rough, but I am not sure what is going on with the market these days. 32 Fords are for the most part too expensive to look at. The wallet builders are sucking them all up. Are we not looking for them anymore? I cant believe I got lucky enough to get this one. Now, what to do with it? What would you do with it???[​IMG]

SPEC likes this.
  2. I put the spiderman net on it while transporting it to keep parts from flying off!!

[​IMG]

3. Russ Kilburn raced this car in the 1950's in the Detroit & Flint Michigan area.

[​IMG]

4. Here is Russ and the Kilburn special back in the day!

[​IMG]

5. was it listed wrong? i'd fix what ever it needed and make a hot rod out of it. wow, a $1500 32 coupe. didn't think that was possible anymore.

6. Jim and his buddies saved this old racer from the crusher!

[​IMG]

SPEC likes this.
  7. They did a little research and found that Russ was alive and well sill in Michigan!

[​IMG]

8. Must have been a sweet Christmas for Russ to see his old race car again after all these years!

[​IMG]

9. Russ pulled the old racer out of his barn a couple decades ago and sold it to a racetrack owner who put a quick coat of paint on it and used it for display at shows.

[​IMG]

10. Outstanding. That is a terrific, terrific story, Don.

11. Still has an original firewall, axles, and has juice brakes!

[​IMG]

getow likes this.
  12. F&J

F&J

I would put it back to a race car without a doubt. Mainly because the history seems important to you, AND you have the pics "then" and "now" with the driver.

13. Mike, thanks, you know me, I am a sucker for a great story! I was sad to sell the brown 32 I had at detroit last year. Then to see it in street rodder with the GoodGuys Gazette pic at Texas this year made me miss it more, but now, I am over it because this is really what I wanted. A chance to save an old girl, and a great story to go with it!

[​IMG]

14. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

some weird stuff on that one. the channel frame and front coil helper spring. pretty cool though.

15. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Man, that is awesome!!! What a score!
    With the history of that vehicle, I say it should not be restored, but instead, preserved. Do no more "work" to it other than what it takes to keep it from deteriorating any further, and bring it's "roadworthiness" back up to safe standards.

I'm not much of a fan of "patina", but in this case, I'll make an exception.

16. Still has the K-member

[​IMG]

17. The frame has been boxed in an unusual way...

[​IMG]

18. titus

titus

looks like an easy fix, the important top half dont look to bad.

have fun

jeff

19. The safety "bars" are kinda cute

[​IMG]

20. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Don, very KOOL and what a great story. I was wondering when you were going to post the pics...Thanks again for showing me around!!!

21. Ox65

Ox65

Great story, Are you going to restore it back to its former glory,Or leave it as is? Either way it would do it justice.

22. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

You know what needs to be done. ;)

23. check out the gauge.

[​IMG]

24. fuzzface

fuzzface

I think you hit Ebay at the right time. I watch for a while then get off for a couple months then get the bug back and look till I get bored then get back off. I think most people cycle like this and you hit it right. There still deals on ebay if you have the dedication to watch it. I think the economy of the country is scaring alot of people so that helps drop prices also. I know I don't have the extra cash laying around like I used to. So i very seldom look anymore. Don't want to tempt myself with something. But if the economy turns around here, I will be back.

I think you did good. I looked at a '32 race car shell at a local swap meet like 4 years ago for $1500.00 firm. Just the body shell and it was rolled with the roof panels smashed in above both doors.It did include a title also. I had the money in my pocket decided no I better not. I walked done three rollls decided what the hell and went back and watched the guy marked sold on it. Two weeks later,I was surfing Ebay and saw the same shell for sale. the new buyer sold it on Ebay for $3300.00. You never know with Ebay , one minute people are getting good money then all of a sudden something identical will be given away for a steal.

25. Dirty2

Dirty2

Heavy axle . I like the helper spring ..

26. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i was watching that too... glad you got it man!

27. captainflight

captainflight

I would restore it as a race car. Maybe a streetable version of a vintage stock car. Enough 32 hot rods around but this type of car is special. It is great you could get history of the car. You no doubt will contact Russ in Michigan to talk about the car and his glory days. Congrats on your score!

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yup!:)

29. blackjack21

blackjack21
    from Denver, CO

Hopefully you won't do much to it. But just to show how nuts some people are. Here's what my father started with, and what he ended up with. He wanted to bring it back to a similar state that it was originally raced like. You found yourself a great car, with history and photos, wow! Amazing work....

-Tyler

[​IMG] [​IMG]

41 coupe likes this.