Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remember Slotcar Places!

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Bad Bob, Jun 27, 2006.

1. I have two 1/24 cars and about 100 HO cars. Plus my buddies dad gave me this set of HO Trucks that do all kinds of stuff. Like unload pipe,roll logs,dump sand,unload cars,etc. The lanes go in the opposite directions and you can reverse! He went around to all the Toys-r-Us and bought all the track and excesories. I set it up once and it took ALL the floor in my front room.

2. E Burfield

E Burfield

Ther Is One In The Next Town Over. I Think It Is Called Green Flag Raceway. It Is Ran By The City Of Hesperia . Still Have All My Stuff.

3. Last time I went to my friends place in Downey,I stayed til midnight! The drag racers were there so I had the track all to myself. I put a screw through my controller,like a govenor,so I could have more control and not wreck my cars. It was a blast.

4. There's a good-sized track in the Discover Mills Mall just north of Atlanta. There is always a crowd in there and you can rent a car or bring your own.

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I ran mostly 1/32 cars when the first commercial slot car tracks opened in '62-'63, and had the time of my life. Years later ('79) I went to work at Aurora AFX just before they folded. The 1/64 cars were soooo fast that they were completely out of my frame of reference! When I try it nowadays I haven't completely forgotten the moves, but I'm sure not competitive with really expert guys.

lothiandon1940 and falcongeorge like this.
  6. 1940AD

1940AD
    from New Jersey

Dad has one with the original box...one of these days I'm gonna photograph everything.

7. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

i love slot cars but they aint what they used to be nowadays, ive still got my track from when i was little and ive gone to some of the bigger deals and driven a bit but never raced except with friends

8. Oilcan,

They were made by Monogram.

1940AD- post those pics when you get a chance, as that would be neat to see!

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some of ours...We have more fun building the than we do racing them,ok thats a lie. we love bashing them more....lol

10. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

I think that track is called DAD'S, and I believe it's still there. i havent been there in years since I moved north!. There was a track in Chicago back in the mid 60's on Grand ave. near Harlem ave. It had 2 road courses and a drag strip as I remember, but I was only 7 or 8 at the time and cant remember the name.That was cool stuff!

11. Katula

Katula
    from Austin, TX

I used to go to this guys house as teen in Indianapolis that had most of his house dedicated to tracks. He sold guns (illegal) and would shoot up cocaine while he taught me to "race like pro". Then came the day I actually beat him.....and of course he threatened to kill me.

12. krupanut

krupanut

Dude!
    Celebrity Spots Center!
    My dad raced the slots there, I barley remember it as I was around 3 years old but I remember how huge that place seemed to me.

Attached Files:

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got into drag racing a while ago. This is one I built, hand made chassis from brass. Revell 1/25 scale motor and body. The interior tub and cage was hand made from sheet plastic and brass tube. It was a lot of fun to race.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. we had a slot car place called race a rama in york pa in the 60's.my friends and i get to together every once and a while to drag race
    HO's.
    www.dcmraceway.com

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  15. NH Gearhead

NH Gearhead

Until I was 11 I lived in Bristol Ct. and spent as much time as I could hanging around and racing at Hobby World and Raceway in Forrestville Ct. and the Bristol Hobby Center.I still have most of my HO stuff.

16. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

I've got a bunch of old aurora thunderjets I bought from my neighbors tag sale about 15 years ago. came with about 6 cars and a bunch of track. stored in a damp garage for years. me and my brother spent hours getting all those cars sorted out, cleaned up and running again. best dollar I ever spent!

just went looking on line and I can now get all the bits that were starting to wear out when I put it away!

17. There was a commercial track in my hometown in the late 60's that was packed every night! I had two 1/24 cars (still have them) and got to race at least once a week. At home I had an Aurora HO track with those gawd-awful steering wheel controllers.........ugh! Last year I got all of my HO stuff out of storage and bought enough extra stuff on ebay to construct a 4-lane road course that is 33 feet in length. It's mounted on a 4 x 8 table with legs that fold for storage and is powered by separate 20v transformers for each lane. This time I "upgraded" to much better controllers and made color coded control panels for the controllers to plug into. The new Johnny Lightning cars that are available today are much faster than most of my original stuff, plus they are $10 at the local hobby shop! I have a couple of the old Aurora pit buildings, three of the bleachers with people, a couple of snack bars and a restroom building. The table was covered the type of green material that is used by model train collectors, so it only takes a few minutes to set all of the buildings in place to simulate a realistic layout. I always wanted a 4-lane track, and now I've go one......it's never tool late to have a happy childhood! It's a nice diversion during the long, cold winters here in WV.

18. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

got any pictures of your setup thrg??

19. sideshow01

sideshow01
    from Dirty Jerz

I never really go into them, but I remember always stopping into the track at Collingswood Auction in Jersey... Also remember watching the whole place burn to the ground. But, it looks like the track survived (or was rebuilt). Also looks like they have vintage races.

http://www.raceplaceinfo.com/

ttp://slotblog.net/lofiversion/index.php/t1535.html

20. GaryC.

GaryC.

My buddy and I used to race in Charleroi, PA back in 1965-66.
    Wednesday nights were race nights.
    Milk shakes and double cheeseburgers.
    These were great times in America.
    The big troubles of war and various social ills were ahead of us.

There are still some tracks here in eastern Ohio.
    There's a quality slot car place in Mineral Ridge, OH
    (Raceway Hobbies, run by Dan Artman) featuring a Blue King track,
    a UK Black, a drag strip and a huge Nascar style oval.
    There's also a very nice one in Canton, OH.
    I understand that there are a couple in Erie, PA
    and one in Cleveland.

Here's my 1/24 scale collection.... that I still race now and then!
    The cars of today are of such unbelievable performance
    they make my 60's cars seem like they're standing still.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  21. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

I raced 1/24th scale back in the early to mid 90's. It was a blast but the track closed. I still have my stuff. Santa brought us a Scalextric track and I'm adding to it and fixing up some cars. The kids and I are having a blast.

My son and his friend racing. The track is already different...this was straight out of the box.
    [​IMG]

some of the cars.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

OMG,Bob didn't see this post 1st time around,It was the best of time to be a kid 40 years ago.

23. There is a shop in Hanover PA. in the Hanover Mall that has two big large scale tracks. I think they have races during the week or you can rent a car and try it out. They also sell the cars and supplies.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Htweelz,
    I have the 69 Mustang and the Camaro in kit form, not slot car. I am building them into full detail kits. Does anyone know if any other scaeletrix cars have been released as models? I would LOVE the Cobra Daytona Coupe but cant justify the $170 for a slot car one to pull appart!
    Any early cars like the Vette and 68(?) Mustang would be cool. Especialy if you can also get spare wheels and tyres. Thats the hardest thing to find so far, 1/32 scale wheels and tyres that dont look like they are off a toy.
    Cheers,
    Doc.

25. CADILLAC AL

CADILLAC AL
    1. oHIo

Wow, Talk about flashbacks!!
    I can remember (too many years ago) the Tom Thumb East & West,
    The Baron Raceway (right next to the Rod Shop during thier hayday in drags) & 3 or 4 more tracks in Columbus. All did a booming business.I ran a Chaperral bodied home built chassis when I was with The Columbus Road Runners & a Harvey Aluminum bodied car while a member of Huffin' Engineering. The uncountable hours spent designing & building the chassis, winding the motors, fitting & painting the bodies,& practice at the tracks. MAN, those things were fast!Some of the tracks were so big & curvy you had to do part of the race watching on a mirror hung from the ceiling to see where your car was. Good Times,real Good Times.
    Thanks for this thread,
    Al:cool:

26. 1940AD

1940AD
    from New Jersey

I grew up going there! The tracks there are not the original tracks, the originals did indeed burn. I loved the track with the super high bank. Some NJ places I went to: Eagle Raceway in Randolph, NJ - had the "purple mile", a King, an oval and a hillclimb. Purple mile was a scale mile in length. There was a place in the Quakertown PA fleamarket, dont know if its still there. Slots of Fun in Edison NJ on 27, a place on route 130 in Hightstown, a place in Rockaway Twp, NJ, Trains and Lanes in Easton PA off 33 (still there), Zeppelin Hobbies in Riverdale NJ..some place in Tuckerton NJ next to a roller skating rink, Elmsford, NY was a place, a couple in Philly.

27. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

When I was a junior in HS 1966 I worked for a hobby shop / slot car emporium in my home town. What a money making deal that was LOL. I think I owed my boss money when it finally closed. I did have some fast cars though. I always got first pick on the new stuff coming out. Anyone remember Kemtron motors.

28. My Dad was big into slot cars, back in the early 60's. All of the cars are long gone, but I still have his Hoffman pit box. There is still a track in Milwaukee, east side around 124th & Burleigh. Used to drive by it all the time, never went in though. Better to avoid temptation sometimes!

29. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

my dad used to take me to one right by the monorail station in seattle.good times for sure

30. htweelz

htweelz
    from Maryland

Not sure if other's have been released as models. My one friend has been buying up 1/32 scale snap together models and making slot cars out of them. They are cheap and you can make them as detailed or not as you want.

I'm not crazy about the wheels on the '68 Mustang but there aren't any mag wheels style replacements. All of them tend to be BBS race types.