Register now to get rid of these ads!

Do you remember the SATANS DEUCE ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goldy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Goldy

Goldy

Over 50 years ago , a few young men interested in Hot Rodding and Drag Racing put together the first fuel coupe that I know of on the east coast. I am proud to say that they became my friends and we would meet each year at the pit side stands at the finishline at the Summernationals at Englishtown. All from Philadelphia; Freddie Allen, Frank "TOBY" Altimere, "Little"Al Cravara, Augie Caljo put together some awesome cars including the Satans Deuce and Satans Bantam Coupe. They were a rough and ready crew and did not necessarily fit into the image that Wally Parks wanted for NHRA. Because of this image and being from Philly in the east the car did not quite get the recognition or publicity that it should have recieved back in the day.
    All four guys are gone now but their memory lives on. I race a nostalgia funnycar called "Good Vibrations" (formerly John Forces Wendys Corvette body) and on the decklid is a painted on tribute to the Satans guys for the inspiration they gave me. Do you remember the Satans Coupe ?????????? I do Goldy [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Goldy

Goldy

I wanted to post a picture of the Satans Coupe that I put on photobucket but I could not manage to make it post over. The Satans deuce coupe is a 32 Ford 5 window chopped hy- boy. The grille schell is covered in the front with a Satan painted on it by Little Al. The color of the coupe is candy apple blue with yellow flames licking out of the engine bay on the cowl. The axle and steering is chromed as is the trans, driveshaft, and closed drive early rear. Bigs and littles with spun aluminum discs. Under the hood is a chromed up Chrysler Firepower with six strombergs on a log manafold. Heads worked with 300C rockers and radical cam. Vertex magneto and handmade headers ignite and get rid of the alcohol and nitro mix. Anyone that remembers the car knows that it ran as well as it looked. I will try to post the picture when I get some help with that. Goldy [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. Kustm52

Kustm52

This one? It was at the roundup last year.. not sure if it's the original or a recreation..[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

This one is the tribute made by the Kennedy brothers , real nice coupe , but please post some photo's of the original car !!!
    That would be awesome I just love that coupe !!!

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Wasn't one of them (the original or the recreation, I don't know) in Rod and Custom, either the current issue, or last months? Or is that why this came up? I haven't gotten around to reading that issue yet. I would definetly like to see pics of the original posted.

6. Goldy

Goldy

I'll post asap
    Nice tribute car !! Goldy

7. Goldy

Goldy

The pictures of the car on the trailer is a tribute car. Note it has exhaust manafolds. A one piece intake and the engine is not set back as far as the original Satans Coupe. That tribute car is awesome and the paint scheme is right on !! The picture of the original car shows Toby at the right door and Fred Allen in the drivers seat, it was taken at the NATIONALS at Kansas City in 1956. C'mon guys - do you remember this car ??? Goldy

8. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

I remember it from the model monogram put out, even though in the model they used a roadster insted of a 5 window. Here are some pics I came across on the net.

[​IMG]

Check out the shirts they are wearing, looks like the same art as on the grille shell.

[​IMG]

This is from an old issue of HRM, the top picture is credited to 1955, wonder if this is the same car? There are similarities between this one and the devil deuce, such as the dash,interior and single push bar. Goldy do you have anymore pictures of the original you could post or any other info on this car?

[​IMG]

9. Muttley

Muttley

The tribute car was at the HHR in Bakersfield last October. The car is super nice but the snap on Moon discs were an unfortunate choice. :confused: :eek: :confused:

10. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

It is too easy to knock cars on the internet, but you are correct. The new car has all the pieces, but just doens't pull it off. It just doen't look right.

The get you in the gut feel just isn't there.

11. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

i think i have the lil hot rod mag with an article on it somewhere around here

12. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

i have that model, heres a pic...

[​IMG]

13. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

Found it, April 1958 issue of Car Speed & Style...click on the pics you can read them petty clearly
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

Were those guys Modifiers?

15. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

I have a front shot of it from Rodding and Re-styling from January 1958. It's getting late or i'd scan it for you. It's in an article about "Pin-stripers of the East". Striped and painted by Al Cravero. If time allows i'll scan it tomorrow.

16. willys426

willys426
    from earth

Hi Goldy,
    Met you a couple of times at the track. Last time we saw ya I was driving a black BB/GS 41 Willys pickup truck at Atco. Usually I drive my AA/GS '33 Willys pickup, the Red Baron II. I was pretty close to Augie, about as close as anybody could be to Augie. Cantankerous old junk man bastard. LOL. I think that is him kneeling by the drivers front tire in the pic someone posted. Not positive though... He told me lots of stories about that car. Like going out to Chicago and getting The Greek to set up the 8 deuces for fuel. These dudes were definitely east coast outsiders, like the Hill Bros were, and did not receive the recognition they deserved. The Deuce, if my memory serves correct, held one record for 17 years, and I'm pretty sure a few others. Definitely one of the hard chargers in the early days, as was the Bantam Fuel Coupe. It was a pretty big deal to Augie when they took that car out to California, turning the earth back east here somehow didn't mean anything. They had to do it out west to get the ink. Same shit today, by the way! Got any pictures of the big band-aid painted on the Packard push car? I guess Little Al did that. Anyway, if I think of anything else, I'll post it.
    Later,
    Ken Kull

17. Goldy

Goldy

Hey guys, this thread is awesome! I never thyought that so many people would remember this car. I remember seeing the Satans Deuce in 1957 or 1958 at Hatfield Hi-Speedway drag races. Although I only saw it once, I heard war stories and build specs from Fred Allen, Augie Calajo, and "Toby Altimare".

18. Goldy

Goldy

Hi Eighty Deuce : The picture that I posted is susposed to be from the Nationals at Kansas City in 1956. The two that you posted are from that same race and they are awesome shots. Those picture of the Jud May deuce give me a little case of "reality shock"!! I was always led to believe that the Satans built the car from scratch but the photos say otherwise. Nobody would duplicate that hokie push bar only on the left side. I know that Toby painted the body candy blue and "Little Al" painted the Satan on the grille cover. Augie and Freddie worked on the hemi and it appears that they set it back farther than in the Jud picture and repositioned the body on the chassis. Thanks for your input. Also I never knew that there was a model, I bet that the Satans never got any royalty money from the model company. Goldy

19. Goldy

Goldy

Big Daddy Steam Roller: As far as I know the Satans were an entity of their own. I'm not sure if they were actually a club with dues, meetings, and rules etc. But they sure were a bunch of guys that hung out and built cars. I have often heard references of association with the original Philadelphia Modifiers. Charlie Wise was the original president of the Modifiers and I know that the Satans were friends with Charlie. The way I understand it, the Satans disbanded because of feuds over girlfriends. What a shame !!

20. Goldy

Goldy

Ken: I knew Augie fairly well, from willow grove hanging in a little diner on Easton road. He was at my house once and I sold him a 23 T body. I would alway meet Freddie at the drags and "Toby" was married to my best friends sister so I saw him the most. I heard the same story about the carb set up at the AATA race, only I was told that Cook and Bedwell also played a part in the nitro set up. Remember that was during NHRA fuel ban period. You certainly hit the nail on the head about cars from the east "get no respect". So many of our guys would get no ink and I heard stories of " funny" time slips during qualifying too. Jo JO Nocintino, Charlie Bongo, Jack Kulp, Georgie Van, no body in the west ever heard of them. Even myself, Ted Brine and I put together a clone of the 554 fuel coupe. We were booked in at Indy for Goodguys to matchrace Gerry Morelands original 554 fuel coupe. We ran three rounds, not side by side but one after the other. ( we were told because of insurance) but I think I know the real reason. The original car of Morelands ran 10 flat at 154 mph smoking roostertails all the way through the lights. We ran mid eights, fogging in the lane with billows of smoke till about 800 ft then hooked up to run 180's all three passes.When you would read the magazine write ups about the event our names were never mentioned. Gary Meaders treated us well though so we went home smiling, he is a stand up guy. The crowd loved it, they thought they were seeing double, the two cars were exact. It is just that those least coast guys brought a clone and not an original car. I know how Rodney Dangerfield feels. Goldy.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  21. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

The million dollar question is whatever happened to the deuce? According to the article in Street Rodder magazine some guys tried to recently track it down but with no luck.

22. RF

RF

Cold, clammy, and possibly a slight case of the worms?

Anyway, Joe and Jay may not have gotten Jard's 5W "spot on" as far as exact originality goes, but given the opportunity (owner's call on this build), they would have. I'd say driveability had a lot to do with it.

23. the shadow

the shadow

It's gone... I am friends with both fred allens sons and daughter. the grill shell with the painted devil is hanging over his fireplace in his den.
    fred allen passed away about 8 -10 years ago whille working (carpenter) down the NJ shore.
    fred allen also is credited with getting Dick "the Shadow" Belfatti into drag racing and later built him a car (based on a rod stuckey design) he built 3 fuel rails. one for belfatti, one for joe nocentino "the outlaw" the 3rd was to go to the greek but it went to someone else.
    these were the "legs under the rear" rails!

here's some shots of the rail that he built for dick belfatti (the shadow) with bobby vodnick driving.

Attached Files:

24. The Shocker

The Shocker

I know that car well ,its part of what inspired my name on the HAMB ,and no the other half is not cuz i am a devil worshiper.I used to have a chopped 54 Chevy that looked evil .I have several photos of the "Satans Duece "car that i have colected over the years.I love the neat artwork on the grill shell of it...

25. Goldy

Goldy

Eightydeuce: I don't have a million dollar answer. I seem to remember from around 1958 hearing stories that the car was sold and taken out of the Philly area. I know that the original Satans grille schell was retained by Freddie Allen and that was told to me by his son . As posted by the shadow , it honorably hangs on his wall . Somebody is probably cruising in the coupe with the candy blue and flames hidden under 5 different coats of paint and they don't have a clue . Goldy
    <!-- / message -->

26. Goldy

Goldy

I thought I remembered the car having 8 carbs on a log. The pics I see show six. Anybody know ??? I thought that it had eight carbs at the AATA meet. Goldy

27. smartyjones

smartyjones
    from Ivyland

Goldy please stop posting and please!!!!!!! start working so your ready for SPRING. Smarty

28. 36C8

36C8

Here's a vintage cover shot...

Attached Files:

29. 36C8

36C8

more inside

Attached Files:

30. Goldy

Goldy

36C8; Thanks for posting the Rod Builder & Cusomizer I never saw that issue, I did not know that it existed. I subscribed to that mag back in the day too. I tried to blow up the picture but I still could not read the page. Did it say that it had 6 carbs or 8 carbs? Goldy