Register now to get rid of these ads!

???? Show car guys please tell all??????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Rusty

Rusty

Okay with the new start of the show season coming upon us and everyone has been thrashing for months to get that special ride to that show to try and win the coveted show you so love I have a few questions

1. Why do so many try to hide there projects?

2. Does it really matter if anyones sees it?

3. Will it affect your outcome at the show is someone see it?

4. Why do you do it?

I know a guy that is building a race car top secret rite now. I ask him for what? He siay he does not want the competitors to no. Well I tell him there will always be somoene trying to be faster and better than you. Money is always the winner because money plays such a big part in this sport now.

Maybe i just dont get it since I never have built a throw down show car. Believe me I spent many hours cleaning under my dads ols Show cars etc. I just cant seem to grasp why being top secret.

I mean look at Bass Chevy he is doing. He could have been hiding that all these months and we would never see it till it was done. I think him shocasing it her on the HAmb and telling poeple he is taking it to the GNRS will draw a few extra poeple to see the detail work. I know it can go both ways so maybe that example does not work.

Look at Kirk and Alex at Gambino Kustom, Not only are they letting out the cat but they are actually teaching you how to do it

I am just saying and asking What is the drive that makes a show car guy do what he does in secret?

Rusty

2. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I have often wondered the same thing. Mcphail said something in the Roundup forum to that effect. Something about a secret hot rod... Seems like a waste to me. Most people want to see the work just as much as the finished product.

3. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

It builds the anticipation to see the car. Super Secret projects have been around the HAMB for about as long as the HAMB has been around. I like seeing the builds as they go, but I also like the surprise of a new build that shows up at a show.

As far as hiding race cars from competitors, I don't really understand that.

4. Eryk

Eryk

The ceremonial unveiling of a masterpiece is nothing new. An artist keeping such a masterpiece under wraps is nothing new either. Take the Sistine Chapel, for instance. At Michelangelo's request, the chapel was closed off to all but the clergy from 1508 to 1512 while he completed his work on the ceiling. This allowed him not only to be able to work uninterrupted, but to also to ensure that his work was pure from start to finish and not influenced by outside criticism along the way. The secrecy allowed him to maintain what he envisioned for the piece. He did the same thing with the statue of David.

I realize cars a different story. But even in the 50's and 60's builders would use the big shows as venues to debut their work. I remember a magazine article that compared Barris to Dr. Frankenstein working in his lab.

We're lucky enough to have the internet and digital photography. In order for one of the great builders of old to give the world a play by play filled with sneak peaks they would've had to open their garage up to anyone and everyone all the time. That just would not have been feasible. As for why it still happens today...maybe its just tradition.

5. Some people gotta get on Jerry Springer, some are a little more private. Same deal.

6. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Gay!
    We all must have a deep seated yearning to impress and be different otherwise we wouldnt work hard at being creative or tending to detail oriented stuff. But the big pull the curtain up thing and hiding it until its ready. is just a bunch of ego driven actions.
    Its all about the trip in my eyes the destination is just a reason to begin a new one.

7. jonny o

jonny o

On a smaller show lever, my first thought is that people will flock to it if it's fresh and new... adding to the excitement and the impact on the judges.

In the racing world, it has a lot to do with having a leg up. If I see all your cards, I know how big of a hand I need to beat you. In the pro ranks, if you ever get a peek at an IHRA Mountain Motors Pro Stock intake manifold, consider it as lucky as an upskirt shot of Marilyn Monroe with no undies on. They don't have much parameter to play with, so the intake design is very strategic and important.

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

To me, it's the drive. I don't particularly care for static car shows which is why I never stayed at them very long. As for secret builds, each to his own. When I was building the 32' 3 window, people gave opinions but I built it the way I wanted. On it's maiden voyage, it got Best in Show which was a shocker as the car was built to be a driver. After that, I never stuck around to be judged.

9. Does anyone remember when Bob Glidden crashed his pro stock and got out and took off his fire jacket to cover up his intake? Top Secret!

10. KIRK!

KIRK!

If you're going for the Ridler, according to their rules, the car cannot be shown before it debuts in Detroit.

Other than that reason, I don't get the whole secret thing.

Like you said, I'm sharing the work Alex and I are doing on my Starliner. To me it's a great excuse to communicate with other hot rodders. Photos are not going to be anywhere near the same as seeing a car in person.

If it's about impact, you only get one bang if you let the cat out of the bag all at once. Everyone takes one long look and then moves on. They may even miss some details because you've added so many. Hell, if you're parked next to some more amazing car, they may not see your ride at all.

To me hot rodding is about trading ideas, not keeping them to yourself.

11. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Don't some of the bigger shows and awards stipulate no coverage for the competitors till after the show? Think Ridler, AMBR etc. I could be wrong but seems like I read that someplace.

Guess I wasn't imagining it, Thanks Kirk

12. Anyone that wants to come over to my place to see what is going on is more than welcome to do so.

I don't talk a lot especially on the HAMB about what I am doing. mainly because the next question is going to be "let's see some pictures".
    I don't have that mastered yet so it is easier to just lay low.
    When a project comes out, it comes out, no playing secret squirrel here.

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Everyone just wants to "outdo" the next guy with all his trick little details.....

What's wrong with a plain-jane, basic hotrod anyway????

14. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Perfect example of showing the progress as he goes, Cole Foster and the Metallica 36..

I don't get the whole thing, well maybe because I will never know what it's like to build a show car, but I bet it's pretting f#$@ing hard not to tell people because you're so damn excited!!!!!!!

15. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im along for this ride too..i like the less is more approach..clean, un-cluttered..straight forward..Hot Rod..not, oooo loookie there ..he spent a life time and more money than the car is worth ..but aint it cool?...nope!:eek:

16. Slide

Slide

I've heard it both ways. I recently had a conversation with someone who was wondering if people who post in-progress pics on the internet are just prematurely looking for attention. That may very well be true for some, but the other side of it is that you are laying your work out there for the whole world to see. Since Bass has been posting about the Fleetline (and physically taking it to events), many people have seen his work. Once the car is done, if any retard says something about it being full of bondo and jury rigging, they will get put in their place real quick. Same goes for the Metallica 36 or any one of many others.

Plus, showing your work (if you are in business) is advertisement, but when it's on the HAMB (or any other board), you open yourself to ridicule as well as praise.

I hafta admit, though, that I've been tempted to keep one thing or another secret until I get it "done". Progress happens pretty slow on my cars, so if I have some idea that I really like, I kinda want people to wait till I'm done before they start copying it. It's not like I'm gonna cover anything up if you come over to my garage, but I do find myself keeping things sorta quiet until that part is done enough to show.

17. Rusty

Rusty

I am glad I am not alone on this. When I get done at the end of the night or get a certain piece made I cant wait to tell or show someoene. I could not even try to hide something that i am building. It relieves the stress of the build to here Man that is Badd Ass or I like that etc.

Rusty

18. jonny o

jonny o

No doubt! I forgot about that...perfect example!
    Kinda surprised I didn't hear about the "upskirt" reference though.

19. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

C.I.A Top Secret Classified.
    maybe they worked for the government..
    to build anticipation someone has to know about it so it kinda isn`t so secret then...

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

We definitely have different points of view, and that's totally cool. I really don't care if someone copies what I'm doing. I'm building my car for me, the way I want it.

Plus, if it's traditional, by definition, it's all been done before. We're just making new combinations if anything.

The bottom line is that everyone gets fulfillment through hot rodding in their own way. Some like the bang of the unveiling, some like sharing the process with anyone who wants to look or listen.

Personally, I like to be inspired by others and would love to be inspiration for someone else. I have always been an artist and live for inspiration either direction.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

perfectly said...

22. Slide

Slide

I guess really I see it both ways. I do consider it a compliment if someone does copy something I've done...

I guess where I'm at is that I don't want to show pictures of the way I'm putting the 49 Buick tail lights in my Fleetline until I have them in there... Once they are done, whether the car is on the road or not, you can fully expect to see me post about them on the HAMB.

23. Ive done the ISCA show thing chasing the points.The reason to hide the car is like any comp. thing the other guy wants to know what it will take to beat ya.simple as that,now if ya document the car being built AFTER you have shown it and people know whats up,you can bring out the build-up pics.....

24. Road King

Road King

Meatball hit the nail on the head. It's all a compitition thing--beating the other guy. The first year my wife and I seriously hit the circuit , we were beat at every show that entire year. We were raising a family and money was tight, But our main compitition had plenty of bucks. The only way to beat him was to have what I call the "gotcha factor ". I had to just beat him on quality and different ideas . I took the truck down and started a rebuild using what we had learned the first year. My compitition heard our truck was at a shop, went by and saw what I was doing and called me that night and told me he was not going to show again because he couldn't beat my truck.
    I hope this came out as I meant it. Show Car guys are just car guys that march to a different beat.
    Road King

25. Plowboy

Plowboy

Sometimes it is like looking at a playboy vs. Hustler. Sometimes you get to see little peaks here and there to turn you on but after you see the whole (pun intended) gaping thing it sometimes takes the fun out of it. There are places for both the teaser and the spank-o-riffic in my opinion.

26. Rusty

Rusty

Aaron, Should of known you would throw so nudity in there:):)

You Show Car Daddy You!!!!!!

27. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

I love it!

28. PhatCaddy

PhatCaddy

I showed my Cadillac in primer and all along the way because it is a budget build car and I knew it would be years until I would finish it. I learned so much by doing it this way about how I actually wanted it to look. Especially this being my first Kustom.

I do agree with KIRK that there are both sides:
    I have heard a lot of stories of car builders talking about longer term projects going on and a builder who builds a car every year or two stealing the idea. Word gets around.
    On the other hand, if you were to ask John D' what projects he has going on, he will talk your ear off.
    My next project IS top secret until its driveable.

Brian

29. who gives a shit...

30. You know, I am the same way. Carla just doesn't appreciate me waking her up to show her the bracket I just spent 3 hours making! I like to share so I post it up.