Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATE 7: Starliner......TOP SECRET; May Cause DANGEROUS!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jan 21, 2008.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

This post is the result of an overnight session (Thursday night until 5:30am Friday) and all day yesterday (Sunday)...

Proceed having caution, the post coming may cause dangerous. Do NOT confound!

[​IMG]

Alex and I decided to go with cobwebbing on the side panels, but wanted a little more spice, so we added some lace in the bottom panel of the rear 1/4 and brought it forward along the rocker until it faded out on the door.

Then it was time to add the fades around the edges of the panel. It was a struggle at times with the HVLP gun.

When the fades were OK we added candy over the whole thing.

Next, it was time for the cobwebbing. After some research we didn't really find anyone who was an "expert" on the technique. In fact, most people had differing opinions as to how to accomplish it properly. In the end, we went with input from Rod Powell and used some old clear lacquer (thanks Road Zombie Ron) mixed with acrylic base. After some experimentation with both the pressure pot (love those Chinese directions) and the mixture, we ended up with a combination that worked pretty well. Our mix was 4 parts base (color) to 7 parts clear lacquer.

Alex applied a piss-coat of clear for adhesion, then one coat of the webbing. Holy crap, did it ever make a mess! We perfected pushing certain stray "strings" down into the tacky clear and pulling others off.

Then came more clear over that to seal it in, followed by more webbing to get the desired effect. More clear again to seal it up.

I have no idea if this is the "real" technique, but it did what we wanted it to.

Tonight we'll be finishing the panels up with a little more candy fading. I'll add photos to this thread of everything untaped tonight or tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Donk Starliner! Yep, it's now rollin' on 32s. The hood will be getting a skeleton clown jester pimp holding a joint in one hand and a wad of hundreds in the other. Hells yeah!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

3. Gerg

Gerg

not to sound too ignorant but what is webbing compared to lace is it just a different pattern?

I can't wait to see your "donk" get finished great looking work

nevermind i should have had a bit of patience :)

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

The magic ingredient.
    [​IMG]

The pressure pot rig...
    [​IMG]

...with very important instructions.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing the webbing.
    [​IMG]

The rocker lace was masked off and then we made a "pocket" with masking paper so that the webbing would sort of fade into the faded lace strip.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. loggy

loggy

Wow,that things' gonna be just crazy good when its' all done:eek:,respect guys:)...

Lovin' the instructions too:D theyre great at that kinda thing,recall in hong kong one of those signs in the rest room warning slippery floor........it'd been translated as 'warning - possible landslide' lol

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ready for the second coat of webbing. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What the hell did that spider eat?
    [​IMG]

Blowing off the excess loose webbing before the final "lock in" clear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

The secret mix!
    [​IMG]

Check out the texture! Shitloads of clear to come to bury that.
    [​IMG]

BEFORE:
    [​IMG]

After we pulled the tape off tonight. It was pretty damn thick and we had to be very careful, but it came off really well overall.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

DAAAAAAAMN!!!! you guys have got more balls than me. i would'nt have had it in me to risk what was there with the cobwebbing. it sure as hell adds another dimension to it though. i hate to even think what this paint job would cost to have done!! you've got me excited as hell to get my 60 Olds ready and get to workin on it's paint job. it won't be this cool but this is the quality i'm shootin for... amazing work guys. thanks for the updates.

the cob webbing would make one hell of a tech article ;)

9. this is a cool paint job
    i just have to ask though
    what kind of $$$$$$$ would this cost the man off the street
    a normal single color base/clear caost about 8 g's.... so what does something like this go for
    tk

10. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

WOW that's a ton of work!!! This has to be one of the most dedicated paint jobs ever!!! Don't know if you guys deserve a medal or a straight jacket because you just might be insane! Do you still plan to be in the Suede Palace? I hope it's parked right in front of my booth so I can look at it ALL weekend! Awesome!

11. loggy

loggy

I was just thinkin that must've used a sh*tload of masking tape n paper to do that job,not to mention hours invested/patience!

12. leadsled01

leadsled01

I agree!!! You got BALLS ...

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

Unfortunately we had to give up on the GNRS. We're now shooting for Sacramento.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Alex and I have had a few conversations about how much paper and tape. We don't really know, but it must be A LOT. I know we went through at least 10 rolls of fineline tape to get the panels laid out.

A for hours and patience, I can't say thanks enough to Alex for all the physical and brain power he's put into this paint job. Hopefully it will give his shop a huge boost. They definitely deserve it!

My time is totally worth it. I won't even know how to deal with the car when it's done. I have never had anything this nice let alone this involved.

15. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

great gidgidy go-go boots batman! how many pounds of clear coating confoundednessitty are you going to need? going to look a mile deep.

16. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

So can SO-CAL people hope to see it at Del Mar?

17. KIRK!

KIRK!

I definitely plan on driving it down there.

18. beyond awesome and as said previously, you guys have huge grapes in that neck of the woods.

19. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

those instructions are what we nerds call 'Engrish' (poorly translated english)

I can't wait to see this car finished, it will be one of my favorites for sure!

20. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

wow... those cob webs are amazing. love the fade too. i was concerned that the side panels would be too subtle to match the major action on the top. scratch that concern...

-scott noteboom

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

I wish you'd get done so we can see it without all that paper and tape on it!:D

Looking killer though, nice job Kirk and Alex!

22. 53burb

53burb

Kirk. All I can say is koo-koo babe. That thing is hip-man! I cannot believe how much trick paint that you had done to it now. You are going to be one happy mother fucker driving that thing to and fro and for Alex, props to him and the rest over there at Gambino's. As if he isn't already on the map in the custom car scene, this is the icing on the cake for him. KNUX!

23. Mike

Mike

Aye chinga! Que Lindo!

24. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Unreal. I cant wait to see it sitting on the ground in finished condition.

Congrats Kirk.

25. zealot9802

zealot9802
    from SoCal SFV

I was afraid when you said cobwebs. Ive seen some terrible stuff man, but I should of had more confidence in Alex. It looks great.

26. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

You guys pull more late nighters than a Swedish prostitue. Looks like Mr. Gambino does some of his best work afterdark. Keep the updates rollin'!

27. Django

Django
    from Chicago

WOW! That looks killer.

28. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Kirk!, with the cobwebbing, how do you address the seam issues like the door jams? It looks like a thin piece of masking tape in there, do you guys have to razor blade it out? and if so, do you leave a little extra to fold inside the edge? Just curious.

You guys have really done an amazing job thus far. I love when I see regular guys like us blowing the roof off what high dollar guys expect from us in the hobby.

Dirty

29. Vicious_Cycle

Vicious_Cycle

I think you caused some bad ass!

30. 1320stang

1320stang
    from Edmond, OK

So when do the fish scales go on? :rolleyes:

Some seriously crazy work on one of my favorite body styles :cool: