Register now to get rid of these ads!

475,000 and the Blastolene

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pan-dragger, Jan 19, 2008.

1. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

It sold for 475,000 tonite at b-j. So what do you think, a bargain?
    [​IMG]

2. Zor

Zor
    from Phoenix

I think I wish i had that kinda cash.

3. Wildfire

Wildfire

The Woodlites are worth about $3K alone... Seems like a lot to me, but the baby boomers got the cash and like to get what they want.

4. wvenfield

wvenfield

Yeah, I think that about sums it up.

5. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

7,000 hours in fabrication , we works kind of cheap in the end they gotta be saying

6. fuzzface

fuzzface

Another one added to the Ron Pratte collection.

7. it seems pretty cheap vs 330K for a 32 roadster, this is a lot more car for you buck.

8. Not a bargin. More like a really good mugging. The Blastolene Boys should file a police report.

9. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

They are the most unknown master fabricators of the hobby!!!

10. I don't see how anyone can pay a half million dollars for a car with no historical significance.

11. Ebert

Ebert

10-4!!! A fright pig in my book...what in the hell are people thinking???

12. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

I thought it was well bought! Very cool car.

13. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

I dont see how anyone could pay $500,000 for any car but if you have money running out you're a** and $500,000 is like $5,000 what the heck. BUY 2 of them suckers!

14. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

3 points. One is that best investments are the ones you take risks on. The next is that they follow tried and true classic design. The third is that Jay Leno bought the first car they built so that kinda quantifies te first 2. I'm would have bought that car in a heart beat if I had the money. Beautiful car that is worth the moneyh!!!

15. chilimac

chilimac

That is some unbelievable metalwork.Wish I had that kind of cash to spend on a car.

16. Muttley

Muttley

Thats one retarded looking car IMO. Those guys have tons of talent but zero taste.

17. Retroline

Retroline

Hope the tank doesn't leak.:rolleyes:

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the Ruxton was worth that but it brought 150K less. Reversed priorities. I don't care if it did take all those hours and talent. I agree with the above regarding historical significance.

19. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Very cool car with some very nice metal work.

20. cretin

cretin

Ditto

21. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

every history car has to have a birthday right? I bet that car has historical significance in 25 years!!!! Even doooozies where crazy expensive in there day and even crazier today!

22. Hip2bsquare

Hip2bsquare
    from Gilbert,AZ

Car won't get any History tucked away in his "garage" now will it!!! To much money...
    here is the Futurliners history as of last year...

Attached Files:

23. Well, that's what's great about this place and life in general...everybody has an opinion. How well they justify that opinion is something else altogether. I can see at least two sides to any story/argument. Support your side and I'll listen.
    So, no, it doesn't have any historical significance....yet. Neither did a brand new Cord or a new Duesenburg. As for the lines, I think they borrowed from a few very nice old cars for inspiration. I like how they gave the front the look of the old front wheel drive set up with the bump. The pants on the wheels look good as do the lines in general. Did he pay crazy money? Yes. Did he have it to spend? Yes. Did it help out a couple of talented guys who really love to express themselves through things mechanical? Yes again.

If you think it "Looks like ass", tell us why.
    If it's just not your thing, fine.
    There are lots of cars that just don't do it for me.
    That doesn't make them butt ugly.

24. You tell them Stevie,,, give gredit where credit is due.

The styling is as beautiful as any coach built classic that was built in the 30's,,whether you like the car or not these guys have a ton of talent.

Was it worth the money,,,,I have heard it said over and over all my life,,,it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

I guess I am a sucker for the old styling cues,,,but In my opinion this car has a lot more class that half the cars that roller through the block. HRP

25. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Personally, I like the design of the car, though I'd change some details about it.
    But in general, I think it's absolutely fantastic!
    And is should be to most you YOU as well.
    Why?
    Because here is a home-built car (though in a very well equiped shop) that is NOT a restoration of a classic, but patterned after one, that is also a HOT ROD, and part CUSTOM, as well.
    So?
    So as a guy who builds car, customs, I find it great that the money boys out in AZ have found it interesting enough to pay that kind of money for a home built hot rod. It gives me, and US, the legitimacy for what we do. It's possible that some day rod and custom builders will share the prestige that a concours restoration shop has, even the small guys. With the prestige, comes the money, the respect, the raising up of our status in our hobby. The chance to build cars for guys with more money, and therefore make more for ourselves. You won't have to be a "Boyd" t be able to get the money you deserve for a well built car!

26. noboD

noboD

StevieG and chopolds, that's well said, but I'm REALLY tired of hearing the phrase well-bought!

27. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

When you see it sell, then the Duesenburg follows, there is no comparision. They show the blast from underneath and it's unpainted, and fairly simply engineered. When the Duesenburg rolls over the cam, it was a piece of unrivaled craftsmanship. Close, but no cigar.

28. park it next to the chevelle convertible that sold for 3 times that amount last year. I'd call it a hell of a deal!

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. I'm a big fan of the Duesenberg for all those reasons and more. Given the cost of a pro build I can understand some serious dough, but I don't understand the value of that vs the car right behind it. Aquired taste? Perhaps. This board is founded on "historical significance" in many ways and yes, every car has a birthday. I wouldn't pay that much for it, but I'd invest as much in something that calls back to that time. FWIW the Duesy was a massive bargain. Sad that it sold for what it did. This one has a standing offer of 1.2M and it's not for sale.
    [​IMG]

What's this have to do with traditional rods? I don't really need to explain that do I?

30. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i think that car is kind of ugly. i dont think it needs a historical background to be worth big cash though. joe blow driving down the road in a duesenberg doesnt really mean much to me either even if it was 60 years ago. they did a nice job fabricating the car, i just dont like the style, now the tank car on the other hand...