Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taking the plunge, chopping the Hudson. The "Panty Dropper" gets a haircut...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

A classic example of pictures of ACTION massively outweighing a thousand "shoulda, coulda, woulda s".

Car looks AWESOME and your proposed colors ROCK !
    Pearl white vinyl with copper/gold piping???

anyhoo, I reckon that after 9 years, you know waaaaay better than me which pillars to do! ...and I bet that you've already photochopped rounded door corners and EVERY other imaginable combination of mods:D

thanx for the pix!

......"and I did it MYYYYYYYYYYYY....WAAAAAAYYYYY!";)

2. It would seem to me that functional rear glass with slanted posts is just a matter of adapting the right '70's era window mechanism and cutting a rear glass with provisions to bolt into it, or adapting your stock lower channel to it. The one used in the rear on the 70-72 Monte Carlo, some 69-72 Cutlass models, and 69-72 Gran Prix moves the window in a strange pattern to get it back and then down into the quarter. They came in power and manual flavors, too. I've seen others where the window kind of rolls in an arc from the bottom front before it slides down into the quarter, too.

Oh yeah.. car looks great. Most Hudsons look good out of the box but it doesn't hurt at all to trim that huge fastback roofline on these, I always thought they looked a little funny with that mile-long quarter glass - the 4dr almost looks better with all the posts to break it up.

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

love it when someone takes a care that already looks cool and makes it look cooler ... nice job buddy, hope to see this thing somewhere sometime , not too many hudson chops out there:)

4. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I vote convertible... Oops no such option. Keith, I think you are genious but after 9 years' planning why you keep asking which way to go... Everybody knows you're not listening.... :)

Keep the project pictures coming, I really dig your Hud! Can't wait seeing it finished.

--mika

5. zapp69

zapp69

Usually Id say slanted pillars but I think this car would rock with straight.
    Great work so far, keep us updated!!!!

6. very nice yob indeed.
    Takes stones to start that.

7. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I disagree.

Originally the whole point of a mild chop was to make the factory lines better.

Back in the early days it was the subtle touches that made the car.

The best customs were the cars that you could look at and none of the changes would jump out at you right away.

I belleive that this car is the perfect example of that. Hudsons look choped from the factory. A little more just made it better without being to drastic.

I could not agree more...

8. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Fantastic job on a fantastic car. Your looooooooooong period of thinking about and then finally getting to the actual job of chopping your Hudson has really paid off. Beautiful, just beautiful.

Now, I'll weigh in on the slanted posts versus straight posts war that is waging here. Do what YOU want to do as you have nailed it so far, why would you lose faith in your ability to continue to do so? Besides, it is your car, so remember to march to your own drummer. He hasn't led you wrong yet!

In case I haven't said it as yet, I LOVE YOUR HUDSON!

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Bullshit, you're wearing 'em, you and your boyfriends.

10. TwinH

TwinH
    from Finland

Looks really good. Very nice proportions, can´t wait to see it finished. Please keep us posted.

11. F-head

F-head

Kieth,
    that looks great, but how ya gonna fit yer tall ass self in there?
    excellent work.
    Bruce

12. k-member

k-member

And just think, Tom Jones has no competition now! Go straight young man, looks killer, nice job. O yeah, I will start working-out now so when you bring that big ass hood down for louvers I will be ready.

13. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Speaking of louvers where's my deck lid in the line up. There's a picture somewhere here on the hamb showing the ass end of Bruce's roadster with the louvers Uncl Al did. Just match that. Hudson looks great Keith!!!!

14. Kieth,
    Slanted pillars look more "Slip Stream" to me, and maybe you could use the original window regulators, but just rotate the mount to match the new angle of the B pilar. You may only be able to roll down the windows 3/4 of the way, but could be an easy solution.

Tell Sam he did a good job on your chop, but you may want to check out to roof treatment on this car. I think you will definately need to do something similar.

Attached Files:

15. k-member

k-member

It's the very next one on the "to do" list. Been a little cold and rainy lately so we may drag the louver press into the shop if it will fit to keep the surface rust down, but it does look better on my coupe! May get to it this weekend, if so I will deliver.

16. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks, I be jonesin' .........Keep the B pillars straight would be my vote but what do I know?

17. ha ha. I'll cut the seat risers out.

seriously.

18. I had the hood off and started peeling the undercoating off of the underside of it in November, then i decided to drive the damn thing in December when it was snowing and put the hood back on.

I'll get to it one of these days.

19. Ha ha Geno... You definitely make pizza better than you photoshop...:D

oh, and sam didn't do anything other than drink beer and watch. lazy bastard.

20. The B pillars will be straight. It's a good thing that you're not helping with the B pillars, 'cause then they'd be GAY...

21. Pre-K

Pre-K
    from Ventura

49-51 Nash coupe had a slanted B pillar. Packard did, too.

But the straight B pillar was good enough for Sam Barris.

I agree with: "Why bother, it is already there."

Bitchin' job, and I like your approach. I am planning on doing the same thing (to a more challenged car), but I have 7 more years of starring at it to do first.

22. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

beautiful chop, you've got my vote for the straight pillars. Also the machine shop I get my engine work done at is building a Hudson Twin H, It's for a replica of a pikes peak winner I think, could be wrong on what it won, but it's INSANE, good luck with finishing the chop.

23. Now THAT's something I'd like to see....

24. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

are you saying that you're finally bored with watching sam and gup make out on wednesdays???

25. No, that never gets old.

You should bring your candy ass up here on Wednesday...I'm working on the car all weekend and am hoping to get the windshield ready for glass by wednesday. Beetle is going to cut it.

26. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Lookin real nice. When i first started to read the post and you said 2" I thought to myself thats just like only stickin the tip in. after seeing the pictures it looks perfect.
    Justyn

27. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Nice shop, I look forward to see it done!

28. moses

moses

kieth keep up the good work looks rite on the money . jeffrey

29. poncho

poncho

looking good keith,,its been a while since we kept in touch,,just wanted to pat you on back for the sweet chop!!!!,i like both the slanted and the straight pillars,,but either way it looks bad ass....keep us posted on the progress...,,,Craig

30. lucidalien

lucidalien

Looks good STRAIGHT B PILLARS would be the way to go. When we did them on my ford it really made the chop. I think you nailed it with the subtle chop. Congrats on havin the steel balls to do it.