Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welders welders welders? Which one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Jan 18, 2008.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I want to buy a 230v mig welder. I'm looking at the Chicago Electric 93793-2VGA that are available through harbor freight, it looks almost too inexpensive, how are they? I was really looking at the firepower 14440308 that I can get for $700 through my pal at napa they are usually close to $900, are they any good??? The millermatic 180 looks nice for about $1000 and the Lincoln power mig 180 for around $900 also look nice and a name brand.

2. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

This subject has been gone over and over....use the search function.....
    OR

Buy yourself a Millermatic 212 and be done with it, no more headaches!!

You get what you pay for

I personally use a MIG Miller 210 and a TIG Synchrowave 250DX

3. nexxussian

nexxussian

FWIW I have a Daytona Mig 181C, old floor demo unit (got it for less that way). Still works great. Good Tech support, parts aren't unreasonable (contact tips). I do have to order out to get anything complex though as the local dealer retired.:(

HF stuff in general doesn't have a good rep. Buy the best one you can afford.

4. cody440

cody440

if you were gonna buy the Firepower from napa on a deal for 700$, why not spend a few more bucks for the miller. Wouldnt be sorry!

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I bought a Hobart 187 from Cyberweld, as I've never had a problem with my smaller 135 Hobart, and it's great for the home shop. Doesn't have all the bells and whisles of the Millers, but does really well.

http://store.cyberweld.com/hoha187migwe.html

6. groove

groove
    from kelowna BC

I have both Red (lincoln) and Blue (miller) equipment. Both are good names, both reliable, both worth the extra cash. Spend a little more for a good machine and you will be much happier in the long run.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I got a few..but the one i Love is my Miller XMT 304 CC/CV it will Tig, Mig, &Stick..it might even take my dog for a walk but i havent found that attachment yet..Im running a miller 60 series 24 volt mig wire feeder on it now..nice and its all digital.

8. I just bought a Miller 180. Did some research. Decided to spend a little extra and get a better welder. Completely satisfied with the welder.

9. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

best bang for the buck is anything fro mthe hobart line. i highly recomend the 187. i think they are under 700 at tsc.

10. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Rule of thumb is, to get a 220v machine, 180 amp and up, Lincoln, Miller, Hobart, Linde (Esab). If you get a 110v welder you'll be severely limited to non structual work.
    Get a "good" used unit, as supposed to a brand new, lower amperage machine.

11. narducci

narducci

Ive got one of those from harbor freight and I am well pleased with it. I worried about it when I got it but so far I has performed great for me. I have used a half tank of argon with it already and it also works good with a 3/32 stick 7018.
    I have welded 3/16 wall rectangular tubing at 80% heat on the dial and the machine doesnt even get warm after 4 or 5 2" beads. I dont think it can be used continuously for a long time, it has a low duty cycle, but for my use, I like it.
    It may crap out newt week and I will have to change my mind.
    My 2 cents

12. ocfab

ocfab

I run a production job shop and we have tried them all. In my opinion Miller is the only way to go we run 185's and 210's all day long 6 days a week and my oldest machine is 6 years old. Not one problem other than a liner or two.

13. james

james

I've got a hobart 220, the big one, I think it's 250 amps. I love it. It's newer, has the miller gun. Miller owns hobart and many parts are the same. If you are using it 8 hours a day everyday, go miller, but for most of us, the hobart is great. I wouldn't waste money on a cheap welder. Get a good one and you'll have it forever. Buy a cheap one and eventually you'll buy a good one.

14. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

Lincoln Mig Pack 175, never had a problem yet, but who knows. 220v

15. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I bought my lincoln sp175 at lowes for 499$ with a free cart. It does very well indeed.I've has mine 2 years everyday work. No problems.

16. titus

titus

spend the extra coin get a miller, my buddys got a hobart, i dont like it much, but it is 110 so that explains it!

jeff

17. Weldemup

Weldemup
    from Central,NY

I've bought used Millermatic 200 and a Millermatic 35 MIG welders years ago along with a used Miller 330 A/BP TIG.
    They all run great and I've never had any problems...something to consider!

18. rab71

rab71

I just bought myself the Lincoln 175 HD 220v for Christmas, and LOVE IT. I pai $450 for it brand spankin' new on ebay.

Here ya' go this came lightning fast I orderedit on a Friday late afternoon, it came the following Tuesday!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150197723748&ssPageName=ADME:X:SCO:US:1123

Don't scrimp on a welder, I did for 2 years of building... I made it work with my cheap stuff but... You get what you pay for especially here...

19. I have a Miller 180 MIG that has worked great for the 9 years I've owned it. I have welded with others and I think the Miller is well built and easy to use. I also have a Lincoln 175 TIG that I bought used a few years ago. Although I am just learning how to use it, it seems to work well but I need a lot more practice.

20. i would save some more money and buy i good machine, that way you won't end up wanting a different welder and wasting your money. i bought a SIP welder many years ago from a local welding shop because i wanted one now and that's all i had ($250). i hated that pile for years until i saved up more money (now i was $250 in the hole from the SIP) and bought a millermatic 185. find a good used one or just save more, it'll pay off in the long run.

21. Drive Em

Drive Em

I have a Linde 225 MIG that I bought 22 years ago. I have never had a problem with this machine, and I use it every day. Linde is now Esab, so if the quality is the same, I would suggest Esab. Also, make sure you get a machine that will allow you to adjust the heat range and heat control. Alot of the Millers only allow you to adjust the heat range.

22. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

My Millers run almost continuously here- I have a pair of 135xlt's.
    My "big" welder is a Snap On Mig/Tig unit. If I had to do it all over again, that thing would be Blue.

of all the many, many machines I have used, the Millers are ALWAYS the most functional. Go Big Blue.

23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Go Blue....

24. Tomcats30

Tomcats30

I bought the Hobart Handler 210 at TSC nice machine and spool gun ready.

25. budd

budd

26. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

blue is the best for you!!!

27. Terraizer

Terraizer

I have a HTP 240 had it 7 years with out a single problem, also have a HTP micro cut 400 plasma and when it was out of warrenty i had a problem with it called them up and they next day aired me the parts free of charge, it was over a year out of warrenty. HTP's customer service is awsome.

28. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Miller...and I also recommend Cyberweld.com. Great service, great prices!

29. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Miller is the way to go!!!!

30. Miller 212 - it fixes my lack-o-skill.