Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Watch ebay for the 12" disc sander backing plates....I bought 2 for $18. Then just threw a 3/4hp motor on that I scavanged off a junk table saw, built stand and table, guard...easy afternoon project really.

2. nexxussian

nexxussian

Kustombuilder, what bearings are those (do you remember the part numbers)?

3. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

doubledawg, and 36-3 window got it right! it was the plans from american rodder that we built the disc sanders from. they work great! I better keep a better eye on kustombuilder when he's over my place..... some of my projects are top secret.:D

4. gmgrunt

gmgrunt

found the article.....august 1993, american rodder. pg 33

Chavezk21 likes this.
  5. TxRat

TxRat

I would love a scanned copy of that article if at all possible...

6. Great idea, I think I have an extra one of those saws...

7. 6inarow

6inarow

Thats exactly where it came from. I built this sander and the 1" belt sander that they featured in the same series. I use them all the time. They have saved me hundreds and hundreds of $$$. If I could post pictures of both of them i woulddo it, so Fergen get your ass over here and take pictures of both of them and post them for me!! I painted mine gray - but the yellow one looks a lot better than mine.

8. river1

river1

more of the series in American Rodder

disc sander aug-93
    belt sander sept-93
    conveft a wood to metal bandsaw oct-93
    body syand april-92

no dates on the pages i have for the following but should be in the same time frame as above
    hydraulic press
    english wheel heavy duty bead roller

mike bishop/AV8 wrote all the articles for AR

later jim

9. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

yeah? which ones??? :rolleyes: :D

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

hell, i don't remember. just spend an hour or two searching your local parts store and farm supply house till ya find a couple that will work for ya. like i said, i'm shopping for a wider and slightly flatter lower wheel.

Jeff and the boys made theirs from aluminum. he said he'd weld one up for me so i better get on it before he forgets. :D

11. metalman

metalman

IMG_0790.jpg
    Home made brake, 5' long
    IMG_0791.jpg
    Simple 4" shaping bench / bead roller stand. Used for simple curves to long to fit my slip roller such as hood tops.
    IMG_0794.jpg
    Handmade dollies, some universal, some job specific.
    IMG_0793.jpg
    Handmade counter sink or dimpling dies.

Corvette Fever likes this.
  12. manoka

manoka

This is a great post!

I've made some stuff from the small handtools to the bigger bead roller. I'm not sure I've taken photos from all of them but I'm trying to search some now.

Here they are:

Attached Files:

13. Dyce

Dyce

The bearings look like the beveled bearings that go in pillow blocks. Go to Tractor Supply and look in the tractor section, they have a few sizes.
    Jeff

14. Dyce

Dyce

Manoka I like that bead roller!!!! Looks good. The edge bender you posted reminded me of the tipping wheel. Here is a picture of my home made tipping wheel. I was using it here with a home made lower die making the roll pan on a 1937 desoto.
    [​IMG]
    It's just a big washer I welded to a bushing and finished in the lathe.
    Jeff

15. nexxussian

nexxussian

Dyce, thanks. No Tractor Supply stores here:(. Bummer too, sounds like they have the good stuff. I will have to go to the bearing suppliers, and having some idea what kind of bearing it is helps alot.

Is your tipping wheel setup using two of the same bearing on the bottom? Or is that an actual machined die?

16. budd

budd

the pillow block bearing is a sealed unit, if it were greaseable then it would have a grove in it, you dont want that, heres my bearing.

Attached Files:

17. Dyce

Dyce

With the tipping wheel I either use a urethane lower or a flat solid steel wheel to tip an edge.

Budd
    That is a die I made in the lathe special to do the upper bead on the roll pan. Here are some pictures I saved.
    This is the roll
    [​IMG]
    And this is the panel
    [​IMG]
    This is anouther trick I use to follow lines. I use a punch as a pointer in my dial indicator stand. I find it alot easyer to stay on track.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tin Can likes this.
  18. I found out about this from Professor Hammer, Ron Covell's column in this month's Street Rodder.
    [​IMG]
    Damn, this guy makes some nice stuff. Look at the detail photos, you will be impressed. Also a very nice blast cabinet and English wheel rollers.
    http://www.davepropst.com/index.html

19. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Here's a link to the original build of this type wheel with part numbers for the bearings.

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tech/articles/12ewheel.html

20. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Here is one I made yesterday, for pulling the pinion gear out of a banjo rear end carrier.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Goto Dave Probst's site in the previous post by RicahrdD and check out his sandblasting cabinet!

22. Darren M.

Darren M.

VERY nice. How did you get the bend in the square stock?

23. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

It's all hand hammered, took me like 6 weeks:D:D:D
    No, they sell circles for ornamental gates and stuff, at the the local Metal store, I just cut one in half.

24. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

ended up building one for my dad too, jack stand. its at a great height for my drill press too.
    [​IMG]

25. 18n57

18n57

A few things I made years ago, 1" belt sander, 24" sheet metal brake and my "VW" bandsaw. All made from plans, I've long since forgotten the source, but I've used this stuff for more than 20 yrs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

VW spindles,bearings, wheels and tires are the main components, throat depth is about 26". Change out blades to rip plywood sheets, cut metal brackets, etc. Has 8 speeds by way of stepped pulleys, mostly junk parts, but I cut tons o stuff over the years.

26. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The band saw plans come from Mother Earth News magazine I will try to find them in my books and will share them if i do.Today I'd use the rear hubs etc. from a front wheel drive car just unbolt the spindle ends on a lot of those rear axles no cutting and welding to get them

das858 likes this.
  27. torchmen49

torchmen49

Here's my "home made" contribution. I saw one similar on the net, thought I'd try my hand, and build my own. It's built from .250 wall, 2" & 4 square tube, the ends of the 2" at the plannshing end are solid 2x2 inserts that were machined to accept the air hammer and anvil shaft. There is a 9x3 english wheel, the rolling wheel and anvil cradle are keyed to allow them to be turned 90 degrees so you can roll thru the machine. The planishing hammer uses an aircraft air riveter, a foot operated shrinker/ stretcher, and a 15" beater bag.

[​IMG]

rytang likes this.
  28. MP&C

MP&C

Here's a punch made up to form the kick panel retainers on the 55-57 Chevy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Punch and die to form the covers for the door hinge nut plate behind the cowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Home-made rotisserie

[​IMG]

cgunz410, 13lav and Dieselcatfish like this.
  29. Dyce

Dyce

MP&C
    I like the tooling. It looks like the same tool holders I have on my Baker Truedge machine. Thanks for posting. Got any more. I'd like to see pictures of the whole machine if you have them.
    Jeff

30. MP&C

MP&C

Thanks Dyce, this one's a Lennox Tru-Edge TE-150. Picked it up from NW airlines out of a DC9 maintenance facility they shut down in Atlanta.

[​IMG]

Some practice runs in .09 aluminum

[​IMG]