Register now to get rid of these ads!

37 Chev PU/S10 frame Q

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Turbo26T, Jan 15, 2008.

1. First of all : To the "Search Police"...yes,I did a search,maybe didn't do it right..but I didn't find out what I needed...So relax....
    Had a bench racin' session last night and one of the guys asked about using a late model frame & susp. under a 37 Chev P.U....I told him I had seen a few posts about 46-53 Chevy P.U's on S10 frames ,but I did not know if it would apply to a 37 Chevy truck
    Anybody got any solid info or tips ?

Thanks
    Stan

2. 32fenderless

32fenderless

a friend of mine used an s10 frame under his 39 chevy truck, he had to narrow the frame to make it fit under the front of the cab. the only reason he used the s10 frame was that he didnt have the 39 frame to begin with.

3. I hope he is using fenders.

4. kopis

kopis

Thats what im saying.

5. I still wouldn't do it, you would see it peeking out in front. A '48-up would be O.K.

6. toms37gmc

toms37gmc

I remember a 18 year old guy that had a 37 Chev PU on a S10 frame at the Pantowners car show in St Cloud Mn a few years ago. The 37 was his grandpas. He used just about everything from the S10; frame, interior, drive train. Did one heck of a job, the thing looked factory. Dont remember if he had to modify the frame or not.

7. skyrodder

skyrodder

Agreed:cool:

8. Here you go. I sold it last summer before getting all completed.
    These show where most of the head scratching are at.

Attached Files:

9. Looks like there is a bit of daylight between the frame and the floor. If it was lowered would there have been more to modify than the floor board, creating a trans tunnel? What about the steering box? Looks like the frame horns could have been shortened so that they would not show, but if the body was snugged down on the frame would the steering box try to occupy the same space as the front fender?

I'm really curious about this, as I have a '36 Chevy 1/2 ton that is a basket case and is crying for some type of IFS, and for some reason I'm especially turned off by the MII front ends (might have something to do with a friend dying in a one car wreck in a Fox body!) Besides, I've put over a hundred thousand miles on an S10, and I know they ride good and are tough little bastards, and I could retain the usefulness of having a truck, not just a queen.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you dont have the original frame I think the frames are basicly the same up to 46,I think the axles might be a little wider. Jeff

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I've seen a lot of S10 framed trucks that looked like a pregnant sow in profile. Middle of the frame is tall and seems to drop down, very hard to hide. Good luck either way.

12. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Not a Chevy cab, It's a 40 Ford but probably close to same size. I am putting this truck on a S10 because I want it on the ground and on the cheap. Picked up 96 S10 chassis for $100.00, got on Wescotts web site and got dimensions on 40 frame then trimmed S10 to same. I made new clip for rear and changed wheel base to 112". I hope photos get loaded with this post, and I hope this helps.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. In the pics the frame was leveled on jack stands. It was being put together as a working truck, full fender and running boards. Had the body gone any lower the steering box would have come out the fender. The splash pan, not shown, had a hole cut to access the steering gear adjustment. The frame horns were shortened equally to the edge of the steering box, the plymouth bumper was going to hide that.
    Honestly, a Dakota chassis is your best swap. It has rack & pinion steering and a little wider track width.

14. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'm putting a 37 on an S10 frame. dropped the body about 2.5" over the frame. had to cut about 2" of width out of the frame at the cowl area where it pinches in. adding to the inside of the frame to strengthen it. rear of cab fits fine. using the 108" wheelbase, made my own bedsides and keeping the 2-wheel rear axle. it will be fendered. have 3" blocks in the rear, body sits much lower and level. trying to figure out a steering rack to fit. any ideas?

15. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Unisteer makes a rack & pinion kit for S10, don't know anyone who's used it but its on their website.

16. luckylou

luckylou
    from canada

i am building a 38 chev pu but i used a 92 toyota frame seems to fit really good, i have the body on the frame and just mocking it up for the mounts, i am going with fenders out side to out side frame dimention in the front horns of the toyota is 27inches and on the 38 chev it is 25 and a quarter so it is really close,i am very happy on how well this fits

17. rebstew187

rebstew187

this is not a great frame for this swap. I'm doing it but it's been kind of a pain. you have to pinch the frame if you want it super low and you can't use the steering box on the S10 frame. I made a mount for a rack and just now got all the steering stuff mocked up. sometime this week I should have the steering all welded up and installed. if you want to see pics of the build they are here > http://www.scroungers.net/project-progress-f9/1936-chevy-pick-em-up-truck-t20.htm
    good luck with your build