Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goop hand cleaner---Have they chainged it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mercman39, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Mercman39

Mercman39

Goop, DL, whatever, they used to work a lot better than they do now, or is it just Me? :confused:

2. noboD

noboD

Zep's Cherry Bomb is the best. It's expensive but it really works.

3. I hadn't thought of or seen Goop in ages. My Dad always used Goop. Had a big canister dispenser... crank the handle to dispense. I can still remember the smell.

4. DAWN, hasnt changed in ages!

5. i agree with cherry bomb... works wonders... for home i still buy the little 99 cent things of goop or whatever it is... it works good... just needs some pumice ...

6. zbuickman

zbuickman

yep:) and some stuff called PEP its dry and in a "milk" carton:)

7. i think that is for astronauts... i could be wrong... but

8. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I use the Zep TKO, or this stuff we get at the parts house, has a funny german name, couldn't tell you at that moment. Cherry Bomb works good to, or there's always the soak your hands in Carb Cleaner Trick, finds cuts pretty easily too.

9. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

Zep, the original yellow formula. It stinks but it works the best. They also have excellent bulk carb cleaner. That stuff you get at the parts store is a waste of money. Just remember if Joe public can walk in and buy it, than its safe and not worth a heck!

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I use lacquer thinner most of the time and dish soap, rough on the hands, but it's usually what I have available. I'm cheap that way.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not that the cleaner is any worse, it's that the grease sticks better nowdays.....

12. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

LAVA hand soap

13. Dishwashing liquid soap, the cheaper the better, and ajax. It cuts through anything, and starts to burn after about 30 seconds.

14. I think there might be less of the mineral oil or whatever it is in the Goop now, it feels different than I remember. But it still seems to work to get the grease pretty well taken care of, I keep one in the truck for working in the field.

15. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

i used to work at ford's livonia transmission plant- SUB ASSEMBLY [valve body and clutch pack departments]--in my wasted youth--- used to 'wash' our hands in transmission fluid then, then soap and water to remove the rest! i can NEVER remember anyone having an allergic reaction to 'ole type F'!
    recent years i've tried the good kerosene... before using soap and water. funny how the good stuff evaporates without a trace---by-itself!
    now-a-days at $3.00 PLUS a gallon i haven't restocked!

just my 2 CENTS.....

thanx----red----!

16. rusty48

rusty48

I like the stuff made by Permatex, 1$ a can at AutoZone.

17. A lot of products,have been forced to change formulations,due to enviromental and health issues associated with many ingredients. Goop may be one of them.:confused: We have a product here called Worx, dry powder(add water),enviro friendly that woks better than anything i've tried. After a day at the track, nothing tests better than 60 wt. oil mixed with clutch dust, combined with what ever gets picked up off the track by the parachutes.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

They make better dirt now than before...........:D

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

That thinner absorbs into your bloodstream and ruins your liver. I'd be careful with that! Seen it happen firsthand TWICE, with two friends.

20. Ole don

Ole don

The best hand soap is Solvol, made by the folks who make Lava, but sold in Australia. It is stronger than Lava, has more pumice, and has no bad smell. I emailed the WD40 company who makes Lava now. They said we will never get Solvol in this country. We need an enterprising person to import it and sell it to HAMBers.

21. Terry

Terry

Same here

22. Muttley

Muttley

HAHAHA...............when I was younger I used to work in a grocery store, one Sunday a co-worker came to work and I could see he was having a real problem getting around. When I asked him what was wrong he told me the day before he had been working on his old Mustang at his parents place and had gotten filthy. When he went in to take a shower he noticed his dad had "some stuff that was really supposed to work great, it's called Lava.............it's got this stuff called pumice". HAHAHAHA..................he used it all over and rubbed himself raw.

23. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Some stuff around here calles Joes. works pretty good & smells like the bubble gum you used to get in trading cards. Used to keep one of those 99 cent cans of wd-40 in the wrecking yard toolbox. Works pretty good for getting the crap off yer hands before you get back in the truck.
    This is all second hand information.... None of my fords leak oil :D

24. Misfit

Misfit
    from Upstate NY

Goop has a plain cream and one with pumice in it. The plain cream doesn't work very good, but the pumice varity seems to do pretty well.

25. oldguy829

oldguy829

Partial to Simple Green myself. Bought Zep last time, and it will be the last time.

26. Horsepower67

Horsepower67

Fast Orange is my fav.

27. 55chieftain

55chieftain

We got our hand cleaner changed at work because it was petroleum based. I suspect the same for the Goop. We use stuff called Grub Scrub now and it works pretty good.

28. Mercman39

Mercman39

Thanks for all the replies. It just seems to me that the petroleum based hand cleaners don't liquify and remove grease, tar,etc. as well as they used to. I figured they probably had to change them for some environ-bull. I used to prefer the perroleum based ones to the citrus, but now I think Fast Orange beats them.

29. BORAXO
    Thats all you need to know about that

30. photofink

photofink

Tarkelp is my favorite handcleaner
    But I dont know where to find it anymore