Register now to get rid of these ads!

How man have sold a classic car to find out it was being shipped over seas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmurphy, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Now I don't want to offend any HAMBer's Stateside, but if you'd only make up with Cuba, imagine all the cars you could pull out of there. Someone over here in OZ was also bringing Model A's & 32's in from South America ,I think Argentina, they were a bit pricey but were original and seemed to be in good condition. I reckon the logistics would be a nightmare though.

2. Bugpac

Bugpac

Hope all you guys accepting cash for theses out of country bound cars, are marking the bills with one of them legitimate sticks....Lot of counterfeiters out there and once the car is gone your screwed...

3. cecce

cecce
    from Sweden

"If it's not sold by monday it goes to the crusher" –As long as you guys write these kind of ads you really have too much of the old stuff! (I'm thinking about a couple of U.S. ads I've read recently). But I also understand your concern that the cars go out of the country, just as we Swedes feel about the Belgians picking up all our old Volvos, but hey! –We still send them to the crusher, is that any better? I have saved an old Volvo Amazon at the crusher myself, and so have my brother.

4. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I once read there's more ferraris in North America than in Europe. Must suck to be Italian ;)

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

I haven't sold any cars, but I've sold a ton of parts overseas, belguim, germany, england, swedan, phillippines, bolgary, mexico, and australia.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I sold my blown flathead powered duece roadster in Portugal, and my chopped duece pu in England. Not to slight anyone in the USA, but they were the ones that stepped up with the money. I never take cash from overseas, only wire transfers, they seem to have always worked.

7. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

What's with this "WE" bit. I haven't outsourced anything overseas. Fact is when you sell, it's for the money, not the destination. It shouldn't matter if you sell a car for 20K, or any amount, as to wheather it goes next door, another stae, another country or the chrusher. When you accept the money you show you think more of the cash in hand than what you just sold.

8. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

My old vw gasser went to France

Attached Files:

9. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I'd like it if you Aussies would trade us some "Utes" for our cars. :)~

10. captainflight

captainflight

They buy our cars because they can afford to! Let's face it. Our economies suck in the USA & Canada. A lot of it stems from people wanting cheap goods instead of quality. Companys like Wal-Mart are killing us but the masses can't see it. Why on earth are we allowing our jobs to go to communist and backward, no standards countries (China, India, etc.)? We fought wars to defeat these evil commie bastards and now we are handing them everything we have built up for centuries. We owe third world nations nothing. They don't give a rat's ass about us only in taking what we have. In my view, North America should stand on it's own even if it means a lower standard of living until we can repair the damage already done. I know I am ranting, but I feel big business, government and blind consumerism are about to destroy our way of life. Hot rods are part of our way of life. I can only hope things will change but somehow I feel we are doomed to become the third world unless we can find true patriotic leaders that are willing to act.

11. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I hate to pop everyone's bubble, but we now live in a world community. It started to change after World War 2, and has never slowed down. It is going to be this way from now on, so you might as well quit whining about it.

We still have one of the highest standards of living, and our free enterprise system will keep us near the front of the line. I bet the homeless here have it better than many citizens of third world countries. While some people in the world eat bugs and garbage, we entertain ourselves with custom cars, electronic games, and computers.......and spend our time finding things to complain about.

12. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

Many cars have left Australian shores over the years but now i see restored Muscle cars and others finding there way back to the US. When your $ regains its strength you can vacation over here and buy back some of your cars all nicely restored.

13. studhud

studhud

Well I'm kinda tired of seeing american cars and bikes leave our country. If I ever have kids are they are going to be able to have this stuff or will it be even more scarce than it is now?
    Im just going hoard stuff
    Dave

14. 97

No RHD we ( NZ) sit on the right hand side of the car and drive on the left hand side of the road. It's stupid, I think there are only 29 countries or something left , and Samoa is changing TO the RHS as we speak. Talk about dumb.

It costs $25000.00NZ dollars to convert a car to RHD and 3000 to ship it here and we pay tax of 12.5% on the cost plus shipping plus insurance when it arrives.
    A 2008 diesel Silverado dually costs $130,000.00 plus on the road, even accounting for the exchange rate that is $97500 US dollars. Diesel because gas is about 8 bucks a gallon here and diesel is about 5.
    Cars over 20 years old don't have to be converted , even so A car bought for 20k in the US will owe you 40kNZ by time it is registered and will also need to go through our Low Volume Certification process if it is a Hot rod or has been modified.
    When you consider that our salarys are way less than those in the US and the dollar is also worth less it is a big call to buy a hot rod and import it to NZ.

15. streetfreakmustang

streetfreakmustang
    BANNED
    from Ohio

Several years back a friend sold his mint restored mid 50's Harley to a guy in Japan. The guy from Japan calls him all the time and invited my friend over to Japan-they have both developed a friendly relationship.
    He came over last year and stopped by the shop to see what was going on and spend a few days with my friend and his wife.

Yes Hotrodders are the same all over.

16. we ship cars out there all the time..as long as they pay my price is all good..

17. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That is so ridiculous. Those cheap old musclecars weren't shipped overseas, they got crushed after the kids who bought them because they were cheap used cars trashed them. I was in high school then too and these cars were just what we drove because they were on the back row. As time passed they got valuable but it had nothing to do with people sending them to Sweden.

I can remember at least 10 really cool cars my fellow classmates totaled. One guy had the nicest 65 Barracuda I have seen to this day. He wrapped it around a telephone pole and it went straight to the crusher, no bits saved or anything.

Any old US car shipped to Europe is much less likely to end up ragged out on blocks behind a trailer as they are rare over there and get taken care of.

Cars we scoff at like 4 doors get a lot more thumbs up over there. Doesn't bother me a bit sending overseas. What bothers me is sending them overseas shredded in the bottom of some old ship to be made into cheap shelves to sell in Wal-Mart.

One other thing. I see the pix the Swedes and Germans post of their shows and they kick ass. It's like they have a better understanding of traditional hot rods than we do. Over there, it's a vintage car and they seem to really value orginality. More power to the offshore guys (I can relate having a bunch of your cars over here).

18. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

I think I speak for a lot of european car-fans when I say we also really cringe when seeing (or reading about) old American tin being crushed for 'nothing more' than a quick buck or some fkn idiotic environmental reason.
    Let alone seeing loads of pics of not-for-sale-cars simply rust into the ground.
    Or what about those weekly demolition derby's, when they use '60s and early '70s cars and killing them off like there's no tomorrow. Should I mention the multitude of Monster Jam-like events doing the same every week?

But to be honest, I also find it sad to see parkinglots on some US-harbors full of older US cars being taken from of their home-turf.

I think the 'group' of American people caring for old cars is getting smaller with time. And for that reason I think it's good American history is 'saved' by overseas by other folks that also care a lot.

I've got 6 US cars from the '60s in my possesion at the moment. 2 of them I bought locally in the Netherlands, the other 4 were shipped over from the US by me.
    I'm not in this hobby for the money, just to enjoy these cars, their big engines, and what they presented and stood for in their time.

19. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

ive sold a couple mach 1s to japan, a savoy to belgium, and to germany, get this... a porsche 914, dont know why they couldnt find one in germany, but whatever.

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

60 El Camino went to Thailand

50 chevy truck New Zealand

1967 Sunbeam Alpine #1 went to the United Kingdom, as did 67 Sunbeam Alpine # 2

I've sold a shitload of vintage American car parts to all over the world...New Zealand, Australia, Sweden, Germany, UK, and more.

the only one I felt bad about was a 67 Lincoln Continental 2 door that went to the destruction derby.

21. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

What a Wanker.
    As was said,why don,t you ship your English bike back to the UK.
    Don,t be a fucking Hypocrite.

22. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

Hey Wolfgang! Are You a German? Cause Wolfgang is a very common german name.........:D:D

You could send Your name back to Germany, I'll take it for 5 bucks.....:D:D:D (Just kiddin'!)

See the will to drive an american car as an appreciation and respect to Your history and livestyle from the old continent.
    And that the people like them allover the world gives You guys a real leadership in the world.....

I like my 59 Elky with all its imperfections, which give him personality, he is like my brother and I would give my life for that car (also for the others)........

And maybe when Your kids are old enough, I invite them to my place over here and drive them around in the Elky and can tell them "This car was built in Your country, when cars were built to last......."

23. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Very well said!!!

24. Justin B

Justin B

i've sold a few cars overseas
    31 model a coupe to sweden
    33 chevy truck to uk
    55 chrysler to germany
    and a couple model a roadsters to japan

the way i look at it if they are willing to pay the shipping plus the huge registration (japan anyways don't know how much it cost to register a "classic" in the other places) they will take very good care of the car probably better than some rockabilly scenester who's trying to be cool with the newest trend only to get tired of it and park it next to his west coast/occ bike he tried to be cool with a few years back. they probably get driven more over there to because i see alot of guys out here buy a car just to look at it in the garage.

25. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

If you advertise your car for $30 grand.....and I offer you that $30 Gs no questions asked, coz I plan to set it on fire for a 4th of July party,.....will you knock back my money ?????????

so stop wasting time complaining about "them damn furriners" and get out their and stop YOUR comrades from knocking down your historical Diners and so forth!

26. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahaha this thread is so funny. My container with your pilfered heritage is on the water now, 8 A model bodies lost to the USA plus some other cool stuff. :)

Perhaps Wolfgang has the hemis, 32 3 window doors and A coupe and sedan I never got from two USA vendors. After all I dont deserve to buy something in a free market just because Im not in some US state.

Its great to see there is only a small MINORITY of insular people on this site, most are cool. A BIG thanks to all I have already dealt with, and Im looking forward to helping others own cool cars.

27. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Thats a W108 W109 exterior mirror ,a W115 W114 mirror is different they look like W116 mirrors. I can get them every day here just PM me and i'll give you a price plus shipping .
    Lpook close and you can see on the our passerger side here...
    [​IMG]

28. A guy in my club has sold 2 Deuce roadsters to happy US buyers, Dick Scritchfield's Phaeton came from Australia as did an AMBR winning 32. And that 39 ute I saw for sale at the LARS swap last year? It's a big world.

No matter where a car goes to (even local) it would be nice to know that the buyer or owner actually appreciates what they've bought, as opposed to some rich guy indulging himself with another me too fad.

29. My 56 Poncho ended up being painted Porche red, had the white leather tuck & roll yanked out, replaced with gray contract cloth and was shipped to Japan...never saw it again in print or otherwise..

Attached Files:

30. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

Oh I think it was the orange circuit/drag topolino from CHCH not Baloo....