Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 Info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Jun 20, 2004.

1. I am just getting started with putting a T-5 into my 57 half ton. Will be posting pics as soon as it's done.......

2. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I posted the file over at Fordbarn & one of the guys over there posted this:
    http://pomoforacing.com/tech/T5Rebuild2002.pdf

This is an oustanding practical rebuild guide - as opposed to the technical rebuild guide I linked to before. It has lots of the mods & upgrades that you can do.

It also points out the differences between early/late tailshafts & the synchro on the 5th gear/countershaft oiler...an area to watch if you're putting an S10 tailshaft onto a WC T5.

3. I thank you also Ernie..

4. Southfork

Southfork

Hey, yeah, thanks, Ernie!

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Many thanks Ernie!!

6. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Thanks for the info Flat Erni.....Im in the process of putting a T-5 behind a 53 Merc and your info helped me out a bundle....Thanks again...

p.s.....any neat tricks and hints I should keep an eye out for when performing this?:confused:

7. sodapop

sodapop
    from Tejas

wow, thanks for the info.

8. burger

burger

Ernie,

Thank you for the links. I had never seen the second (less formal) rebuild guide. It's great!

Here's a link to a chart that a HAMBer (name long forgotten, sorry!) sent to me to host on my website:

http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~erb22

A while back, you'd mentioned that you've been adding to the chart and have a more complete version. If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to update my chart with your information.

Thanks!
    Ed

9. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"I wonder how you identify one of these T5 trannies when the ID tag that the article talks about has somehow become detached from the tranny and lost? "

There is a conspicuous beaing on the front, I think the cluster bearing, that differs in appearance and in stamped brand name...someone on here will know the specifics.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Most of my updates are for the Ford Mustang stuff where there's loads more info (torque ratings, dimensions, etc.) - there's not a lot of new info yet, but I always check every listing I find & compare to what I've got. I keep it in Excel & can sort by tag number or make/model, etc - quite handy. It started life as the one you've got posted.

That will get you WC vs NWC. The NWC looks just like a freeze plug, the WC looks like two concentric circles. Here's a couple pics I stole from someone else on here.

As you can see in the pics, the NWC has a coarser input spline count than the WC - this is usually true (85%+), so can serve as a quick VID. I think there are coarse WC, but no fine NWC...but don't hold me to that!

Also, if the aluminum tag is missing, there is often a bar-code sticker on the top cover. If this is present, the tag number will be on here - same format: 1352-xxx

Attached Files:

12. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

i was looking at the flato site the other day and i think they offer the whole clutch kit.

14. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I've got one of his combos - I'm fairly confident it won't work with the Ford T5 as-is, but wouldn't be difficult to re-drill for the Ford bolt pattern. However, thickness may be different - have to check...that's why I recommended doing it from scratch...;) I'm a big fan of Dwight's product - cheap for what it is.

15. I believe Cornhuskers makes a t5 adapter as well as many other flatty parts. I have no idea of the price.

16. You're right, it's for a Chevy.

17. Thanks Flat Ernie,
    Running one of these in my new project and enjoy learning all I can about them.

18. Rand Man

Rand Man

Great article. Thanks a lot mate.

19. kentucky

kentucky

There's at least one, in the floor of my garage. I just checked:D

20. Thanks for the information, I just finished installing an 89 S10 T-5 in my 51-F1 behind a 226 Flathead 6 cylinder. It made a world of difference coulped with the 9" rearend and 3.23 gears.

21. looz nutz

looz nutz

Dammm! I was going to put a normal 3 speed overdrive on my T coupe. Now with all this information, perhaps it is better to put a t-5 instead. Specially with the price of gas going up. Thank you Mr Bush!!. Thank you Flathead Earnie. Now one question what the hell did you do with Burt??!!!;)

22. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

I found out what I was looking for. I guess I have a "T50"

23. Mart

Mart

Hey Bondoboy, can you please edit your post with a carraige return (enter key with the bent arrow) between each pic link?
    That'll stop the mega-wide page syndrome.
    Thanks.
    Mart.

24. ian

ian

Awsome! Thanks.

25. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

how about mounting it on to aChevy 250 inline 6?

26. Snarl

Snarl

I'll add a couple things to the artlicle.

Chevy didn't start using a hydraulic clutch until '84.

All Camaro V8 T5's, and that means NWC and WC, were 26 spline. I have a NWC one.

S10 versions, and possibly others, have a longer input shaft and need shortening if being used in a "normal" Chevy application.

You can switch from electric to mechanical speedo on Camaro versions, but not on S10 versions.

27. henryj429

henryj429

Thanks for the great info Ernie! I will be putting a T5 behind a 330 DeSoto hemi and the job will be a little easier now. I hear that Wilcap makes a nice adapter for this application.

28. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Snarl, thanks for the inputs - question here:

How much are we talking? Because they work fine on all the adapted applications - ie the flathead using a Chevy trans-to-flathead engine adapter - which was originally designed for the old Muncie/Saginaw/T10 trannys...

I know the Ford T5 has 3 different input shaft lengths, but had never heard of any difference in the Chevy input shaft lengths - if true, so much for the legendary interchange...;)

29. tjm73

tjm73

Also, I have read that the V8 and I4 Mustang T5's had different diameter input shaft's where the tip of the shaft rides in the end of the crank. Why I do not know. But lots of V8 guys run the 4 cylinder boxes for a long time. I've not been able to confirm or disprove this.

Edit: Maybe it's the clutch that's different.

Edit 2: It's the clutch. V8 got 10.5" and 2.3 got 8.5"