Register now to get rid of these ads!

That old jacket I got...an update......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Jan 9, 2008.

1. A little update on this jacket that I posted about a while back....

[​IMG]

On the front it had “Larry” stitched into it, and there were several pieces of paper with some addresses in the pocket, one of them was a Neil (surname removed) of Mountain View, following a trail via the internet, I was able to trace him & sent him a letter asking if he knew anything about the jacket or club.

He was kind enough to call me on Christmas Day & we spent about an hour talking on the phone about what he could remember about the club, he gave me a little background info from what he could remember & said that the only Larry he remembered was Larry (name removed)….but it’s an unusual surname, it didn’t take too long to find an address for him, at this time, I have just sent him a letter asking if he remembers anything.

Neil told me that they were a bunch of friends who were getting jealous of the cool guys who were getting the Hot Chicks at Half Moon Bay Drag Strip when they were in school!

So they started organizing dances at the YMCA and various Paper & Can Drives.

So they could get the jackets & pull the girls…as he put it “A walk around” car club.

They saved up enough to order the jackets, and then it took them about a year to come up with the design for the jacket, for the car they wanted to build & race as a club…by this time, High School was over, and they had regular jobs & drifted apart.

They had 10 or so members

More to follow as I find out more....<small>

:D
    </small>

2. dirthawker1313

dirthawker1313

thats a cool story let me know how it turns out..have you posted it over on the RD site yet? im BEAN. from there

3. Well, well...we seem to be taking over the world....

Doing it right now!

4. BadLuck

BadLuck

What a cool story....keep us posted :)....

5. ^^ yup, what he said, let us know if you find Larry
    You gonna give him his jacket back when ya find him?

6. Dunno yet...It wasn't exactly cheap....

7. Crankhole

Crankhole

Cool story, but....they didn't have any cars? Sounds kinda like some of the clubs of today.:D

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I thought the same thing. Probably been better without finding out the history.

A club jacket from a tratitional poser club. :rolleyes:

Neal

9. They were gonna build the car that was on the back of the jacket, but they needed the jackets 1st (to pick up the Hot Chicks as Neil said) and they just drifted apart after High School....

I think its a cool story, and who knows, maybe Larry is still a car guy??

Watch this space...

:D

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

They're OG Walkabillies!

Neat story

11. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Cool man glad you found something out them.

12. "Pick up hot chickabillies"

Me too...lets see what result the letter to Larry comes up with...

13. why not delete the posted pic .. wear the shit out of the jacket .. introduce yourself as larry (alter ego of course)to some fine ass chickabillies..

we wont tell anyone!! we promise!!:D
    what happens here , stays here..no pics it never happened!

14. ^^ great response indeed, welcome to the HAMB Larry

15. I already have a club jacket... :D

And I'm married :cool:

16. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

Nothing like curbside comandos!! HAHA

Kool story, just wish they did get some cars, would have added to the story!!

17. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

wow maybe the first car posers club in the world call guiness record book :):)

18. Johnny Ace

Johnny Ace

You know, Dave....art can be transformed when "framed" correctly..wat dat mean is, it appears now that the talented Mr.DM has it, it changes meaning.....It is definitely now in the hands of a car feller.....
    The history is entertaining, but the preservation is important....
    great detective work,too!

Ace

19. Its gonna be framed Johnny, who knows, maybe "Larry: is still a car guy...we will see what comes of the letter I sent.

20. Born a HotRodGal

Born a HotRodGal

If you are coming to the GNRS bring a photo, my Dad was the starter at Half Moon Bay Drag Strip, and there is a chance he might remember the coat or the guys who wore them, look us up down there

Terri

21. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Larry's not married.

22. Terri,

thanks for the offer, but I won't be down there, I'll see what comes from the letter to Larry...

What do you know? Spill the beans