Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early Ford V8 symol in CAD format?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rem, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Rem

Rem

I'm getting some parts laser cut and thought it would be a neat touch to have a V8 symbol etched into the surface - does anyone have a DXF or DWG of the symbol/logo, before I scan and create one myself?

Cheers.

2. I did the Ford script in CAD several years ago. We plasma-cut it from 3/8" steel sheet and made branding irons for an old engine club that branded shakes from their "demo" vintage saw mill.

Unfortunately I no longer have it.

3. raffman

raffman

Try copyartwork.com if you have a picture. I've had them do art work for a plotter/cutter, they should be able to do it.

4. If you can put up a good picture of one, I'll do it in cad and shoot you off a .dxf file of it, or post it here.---Brian

5. Rem

Rem

Thanks guys. I tried a search on 'Ford symbol' and that brought up one thread that could have been helpful, but the attachments didn't load up. If I can find anything Brian I'll post it up - I'm off sick with 'flu or something today and I won't be able to get to use any CAD until I go back to work, so that would be a great help, thanks.

6. I was able to find this one---does it work for you?

Attached Files:

7. Rem

Rem

Yes, that's the sort of style Brian, it would be great if you could do something "similar" (just in case it is treading on anyone's copyright). I wondered if a shorter, squatter, version might better fit my parts?

Thanks, Andy

8. You have to tell me the maximum vertical height of the V, and the maximum width of the V that best suits your part. I will scale the 8 proportionatly to the V.---Brian

9. Rem

Rem

I reckon about 1.75" wide across the top, by about 2" maximum height would be great.

Thanks again, Andy

10. Is this okay??

Attached Files:

11. Uptown83

Uptown83

I wouldnt mind getting a cad file of that v8 logo my self. I have a plasma table at work I could one out if i needed to. To me that looks good brian.

Travis

12. Okay---If Ive done this right, I've saved it as a .dwg, then converted it to a polyline, then resaved it as a .dxf I will attach it here in a .zip file so that anyone can download it. Let me know if you are able to open it okay.---Brian

Attached Files:

13. Vergil

Vergil

Nice job Brian, thanks for sharing.

Vergil

14. I nabbed it too. Thanks for sharing

15. Rem

Rem

Hi Brian, thanks very much for doing that - the proportions look just perfect....now, if you have nothing to do tonight either....do you think you could add the 'peaks' along the centres, to give a 3D look? Please?

I only have PSP to open the DXF at home and it omitted some of the lines, but that is more likely PSP's problem.

They can work from the DWG at work to add it to my piece (the CAD office help Production Engineering out in return for making things for them, LOL), so it would be great if you could include the original file in the ZIP too.

Thanks again for your help.

16. I'd like a "dwg" file (r14) of that thing Emailed to me if possible. I can't deal with the "zip" format.

Thanks ! :)

17. JohnyFast---I will try to attach the unzipped .dwg file------Brian

Attached Files:

18. Rem---If you want more lines than I gave you, you're on your own. I created that logo as a two dimensional solid, then saved it as a .slddrw solidworks file, then saved it as a .dwg file, then made it a polyline, then resaved it as a .dxf There are no other lines. If you want a 3 dimensional .iges file, then first send me the cheque for $2000. There is a limit to how much shit I do for free!!!.

19. Rem

Rem

Sorry Brian, I didn't mean it like that. I originally meant I wanted a 2D 'pattern' for want of a better description, with lines to give the outline and indicate the ridges to give the impression of a 3D logo, as in the different shaded areas of the logo you found.

No offense meant.

20. Worked like a charm.....Thanks, Brian ! :)

21. Rem---No offence taken. I work 8 hours a day, every day, designing shit like this for customers. It only takes me about 5 minutes to rip out a 2 dimensional model like the old Ford logo, and since what I do full time is pretty intense, I sometimes enjoy taking a 5 minute break from it to do a favour for someone. However, once you start modelling in 3D, its a whole different ball game. To put all the lines in that you mention to give the "impression" of 3D is even very time consuming.---Brian

Attached Files:

22. tomcat46

tomcat46

I had some free time. So, I took Brian's file and ran with it. I had been thinking about modeling this in 3D anyway and this was an excuse to get it done.
    See it this works...
    Tom

Attached Files:

23. tomcat46

tomcat46

Here's a zipped 3D IGS file.
    Tom

Attached Files:

24. tomcat46---Here's a .jpg of the 3D iges you created---Very nice job on that.---Brian

Attached Files:

25. 40Tudor

40Tudor

That is some nice work fellas.

26. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

not sure if any has seen the back of ford suv ..they use that same emblem on rear door...not sure of year maybe 06

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

Ford Racing sells the V8 Badge off the back of the SUV's for not a whole lot. I bought mine from Summit back when it was 8 bucks. If you want to see it go here.

28. Offy

Offy

The V8 as pictured is an emblem on the hood side on 34 Ford trucks. I put a repop on the tailgate of my then new 97 p/u. One Saturday a county cop pulls me over for speeding after I passed a concrete mixer and proceeds to write me a ticket. A Highway Patrol cop stops and comes up to me and asks what's up. I told him the story and he asks if my truck was a pre'98 'cause of the emblem. Told him nope and we shot the shit for a while. He then goes over to the county sherriff's deputy and the deputy stops writing and leaves. The FHP waves and takes off. Some days even a gimp mick gets lucky!

29. Brian and Tomcat46 - you mind if I work with the dwg and igs files you created. I would like to laser cut the line work and take a shot at toolpathing and machining the logo. This would make good Friday art show material. Great work!

30. tomcat46

tomcat46

I think that would be cool! I have the solidworks file if that's what you work in. I can add cutter radii if that would help.

Here's another one, but I like the deco lines of the last one better. Again dwg file, and a zipped 3d igs file.

Tom

[​IMG]

Attached Files: