Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fairburn Georgia Dragstrip anyone??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slammed1, Jan 7, 2008.

1. slammed1

slammed1

Guys,I am looking to see if anyone was racing in and around the early 70's at Fairburn Raceway in Georgia mainly around 70-74 I would guess. My Dad Gerald McClure who passed away in 2004 raced at Fairburn with a G/MP 1967 Chevelle dressed in red/white/blue colors with a destroked 277 small block. The car was an original white with black vinyl roof SS 396 4 speed car,and had airbrushed red borders on the side door,fender,quarter panel,with a blue painted trunk and hood with stars and a hand built snorkel hood scoop. The car ran high 10's from his notes in his book he kept,and had a few friends named Dan Scoggins,and a guy named Reggie who had a 56 Chevy post altered wheel base blueish purple in color. He also had a friend with a white blown Fiat Altered with a Caveman w/club on the front.

I am just curious of anyone was around that track at the time or could shed some light if they knew him or had pics of any of their cars from that time. I have many pictures,and a very vivid memory of that car and the few times I got to ride in it as a kid. I have pictures like I mentioned but dont have any scanned ro saved to the pc but figured maybe a slim chance some others may have been there and possibly had a picture with his in the background or maybe even knew him. Again his name was Gerald McClure and the car was a 1967 Chevelle,and had Norris&McClure on the doors and had a Atlanta Speed Shop logo on the rear quarter panel.

I will try to get alot of his old pictures scanned as he has tons from the mid 60's from Pensecola Florida I believe.

I have visited the Atlanta Drag Strip pages and found nothing really,so this is a stab in the dark.

Thanks for any info.

Brian

2. Thumper

Thumper

I was racing off and on back then but I have no pics or info that you requested. I remember Fairburn too well..........not a hell of a lot of shutdown room. Sadly to say........that track now is history.

Georgia Drag Racing may have some info for you.

3. slammed1

slammed1

Yeah the shut down was a concern. There were lots of heavy hitters and big name drivers come there and race at times. I have been on that site and asked around,hardly anyone could produce anything there yet.

Thanks for the reply,and I guess I need to scan some pictures,maybe they will refresh some memories.

I know it was the early 70's BUT there were still altereds,superstocks,altered wheel base sedans and such racing there,and the big names that came in occasionally.

4. slammed1

slammed1

1 shameless BUMP

5. slammed1

slammed1

Just checking to see if anymore info might turn up here.

6. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

Sorry, but I have no pictures and I thought that it shut down prior to your dates listed, maybe not. That was called the Ted Edwards Airport or Dragstrip. But the sixties were the greatest there. The days of glory, 55 Chevies running modified production, gassers, a few alterds, super stockers etc. Even saw a jet powered car once. Had to stop the races occasionally to allow a small plane to land or take off. Some names I recall that you may reach, if still alive, were Jabo Elam-55 Chevy, Hubert or Houston Platt 38 Chevy named Little General, and later a 55 Chevy named Checkerboard Special both sponsored by Terminal Transport, Julius Hughes-Atlanta Speed Shop I think, Phillips Concrete-Fayetteville, Barnett Bros-Barnett Speed Shop, Billy Christain-I think he died in an experimental aircraft crash or maybe his brother Bobby had a 55 Chevy named Asphalt Angel that was an awesome sight to see launch, entire car, front and rear lifted straight up what seemed like a foot or more, J. B. Summerour-55 Chevy, probably also Phil Bonner-Ford Super Stock, as well as Don Nicholson-Nalley Chevrolet and Frank Vego Ford sponsored Super Stock, close personal friend of mine Bill Thurman ran a variety of cars, mostly six cyl. Chevies, Prior to Christmas tree one of the flagmen was Clinton Thompson of Fayetteville, and I think that Dan Scoggins had an auto parts store just off Stewart Ave. called Scogginns Auto Parts. Hope this helps, maybe you can track down some of these. Bear in mind, I'm old and was not in the league with these people so there may be errors.

7. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

I just remembered some more friends that ran there. Brothers Cliff and Benny Norton, Benny died years ago, I think Cliff lives in the Conyers/McDonough/Stockbridge area.

8. slammed1

slammed1

Thanks a Ton Eddie. I unfortunately was born in 1970 and I was inthe pits most times but still remember a few rides in Dads car and quite a few trips to Dan Scoggins shop back then. Dad did work at Nalley Chevrolet and I believe it was his first job when he moved from Ark to Georgia back then.
    You are right about the air port part and even while I went they would have to stop races for a plane to land.Dan and Dad were close friends and a few more guys I cant really remember all the names. Alot of names you mentioned I remember vividly and can think of many unique cars I seen there.
    He mentioned Paul Blevins,Don Nichloson,and others on occasion. I have lots of pictures I want to scan and I know he has some old old pictures from early to late 60's dragracing cars from Pennsecola or close area I believe.....we are talking way way old rail jobs and straight axle rides.....I need to scan those very soon.

Hopefuly this willl jog some memories and maybe some pictures may pop up with a picture of Dads car or even a shot of his in the back ground.
    Thanks again Eddie you have truly helped.

9. slammed1

slammed1

Cliff and Benny Norton.......Oh man you are bringing up some names now. I rode a few times in Cliffs wifes L-88 Vette.Trying to remember her name now.Anne was her name.
    Dad was Gerald McClure,and the door of his Chevelle said Norris and McClure in Gold lettering.Reggie had the Fiat I believe or maybe he had the altered wheel base 56 chevy sedan that was bluish purple.

10. Eddie

Eddie
    from Georgia

I also worked at Nalley with Cliff and Benny in 64-65. Must have been prior to your dad. I can probably track down Cliff if you can't. Can't remember wifes' name either but she was really hot back then. Cliff and Benny were really wild back then, really super guys but seemed to get into many fights, one with another friend of mine, Richard Harper that was a Fulton County cop, same night after arrested by Fairburn Police Dept, they tore that place up pretty bad also including the police. More names I recall, Gerald Crockett and Raymond Taylor.

11. slammed1

slammed1

Anne was even Hot to me as a kid LOL!! I do remember stories of Cliff and Benny fighting. We spent plenty of times at Cliff and Annes house and Garage.I believe Cliff and Ann had at least one daughter.He would have been at Nalley in and around 1970/71 or later for a few years.We had a red 68 GTO with white seats and black carpet,a 37 Chevrolet Coupe that has the 67 Chevelle SS 396 engine installed at one time with sort of straight axle frt suspension.

Thanks for some of the info Eddie,I appreciate it. I will try to scan some pictures for this thread really soon.

12. slamdpup

slamdpup

MY FAMILY IS FROM FAIRBURN GA..i was born in 1972 so i wasnt there but i have uncles that had fast cars that ive heard that raced alot..family name was MAYFIELD...not sure but these names might ring a bell with you guys ferrell ,gerald,phillip,timmy,meril mayfield these guys are my uncles or maybe winfred tiller, barney pritchard winfred was my uncle barney was my dad both have passed now..but i have some close friends that are much older than me that used to race on moreland and stewart ave that were racers aswell..leo wilson,bobby jackson,louie wilson..not sure of the cars they raced ..im gonna run these names that were mentioned to my family and friends ..i will try to get some pics of some of the cars

13. slammed1

slammed1

cool stuff slamdpup,will be watching for pics.

14. slamdpup

slamdpup

it might be awhile on the pics,if i can even get some pics but i do want to throw the names at my uncles to see if they remember these names and they may have pics of the cars..i left a voice mail for 1 uncle but no call back yet..i will keep tring

15. slamdpup

slamdpup

i talked to 1 uncle he said h didnt have pics but his brother mi9ght....he told me to mention to you guys ..(the tatum stretch)..and (merk houston with little boy blue)

16. slamdpup

slamdpup

well i talked to phillip (he was the oldest of my uncles that raced there)he said he remembers alot of those guys ..and he doesnt have any pics of any cars but he wished he did...as far as the cars my uncles had i would have to go to my grandmothers and look through all the old photo albums ...

17. slammed1

slammed1

very cool slamdpup,I will have to ask my mom about some of the names you mentioned. I dont know if they street raced or not so some of the places you mention may be familiar but thats about it.Im also in the process of getting some photos from some albums and also going to try to get some old film footage off of a reel and to a dvd. I have some old Fairburn footage of Dads car and I believe the 1974 GatorNationals too.

18. slamdpup

slamdpup

cool dude cant wait to see those pics

so do you think we inherit this lifestyle? ive heard stories from both sides of my family, moms and dads brothers were racers or customizers..but i have know pics to see or prove it...lol

19. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

for the record...Nalley chevrolet it still in business..may not be the same location...but the Nalley family has many auto dealerships in town.
    you may try looking up this link..
    scroll down it will list options for pictures..you might find something of interest.
    best of luck
    cheapst.
    http://georgiadragracing.com/photos/index.html

20. slamdpup

slamdpup

stewart ave in atlanta

21. slammed1

slammed1

being that I grew up and basically learned to walk at a dragstrip and was probably conceived at one as well:eek: I can say its probably inherited.
    I have 2 brothers and a sister so there are 4 of us siblings and at one time a few years ago we all had drag cars......sisters was her hubbies but still. I can remember standing in the back of our 37 Chevy coupe as a kid while Dad was driving it with a 396 and 4 speed when the hood blew off at speed....looked like a huge blackbird behind us as it flew to the ground. :(

I visited JonesBoro GA a few years back on vacation and even though I wasnt old enough to drive way back then all I did was find a few old places of referrence I had seen as a kid and was able to find my way around really well.

22. BARTGN

BARTGN
    from GEORGIA

I lived in Hapeville, spent many weekends at FDS. Names i remember: Oscar Roberts (deceased) Fuller & Woods Egas 55 chevy,Mike Alford 55 chevy,can,t rember his name but a red bantam something or the other. Sorry no pictures. I raced a 57 post in E stock, bout as stock as you can imigine.Ran in to Ted Edwards back in mid 80,s in Gainesville Ga. Kids i talk to these days can,t believe we started with a flagmon.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

During those days I was into dirt oval racing, but lots of the names are familiar to me and I think one of the Platt brothers is alive and a member of GARHOFA, which BTW may be a source of info for you.
    Been a few years since I've talked to him but AFAIK, Dan Scoggins still has an auto parts store and coin operated car wash on Cleveland Ave. just East of Stewart Ave., which has been renamed Metropolitan Pkwy.
    Dan also owns the old Coweta Raceway near Newnan and again AFAIK, still operates it in season for dirt oval Go Kart races. Good friend of mine Tommy Whitehead owns and operates a performance shop here in Griffin and spent a lot of time @ Fairburn while wrenching for Bob Callaham. I'll ask him what he remembers.
    Dave

24. Thumper

Thumper

A freind of my Dads bought a 55 Chevy Drag car that he said was called the Asphalt Angel. He lived around the corner from my house and IF it was the same one it was awesome. Thing launched like there was no tomorrow ! If I remember right it was Green metalflake ( could have been painted before he bought it...dunno ). I wish I had pics of it.

25. 45Shooter

45Shooter

I remember going there as late as 1979 or 1980.
    One time there was a still smoldering crashed airplane in the woods next to the entrance.

26. keith089

keith089

Try
    Jim (48FORDNuT)

27. BARTGN

BARTGN
    from GEORGIA

Asphalt Anglel belonged to Billy Christian,first 55 I ever saw with VW straight axle.Had Hilburn 8 port injection at one time

28. Thumper

Thumper

What color was it when he had it? Do you know what year he sold it (if he ever did) ? Im just trying to figure out if the one David owned is the same car.

29. BARTGN

BARTGN
    from GEORGIA

ASPHALT ANGEL was robins egg blue in my day.

30. Thumper

Thumper

Thanks for the info. If I can find David (lost contact 30 years ago) He might have pics. (fat chance on both counts).