Register now to get rid of these ads!

What I got for my birthday, a new project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Donzie

Donzie

Last Friday, on my birthday, I found my birthday present setting along side the road.
    A '41 Plymouth Business coupe. I felt like I needed (needed?) a project and this looked like a good candidate...and the price was right.
    The car is complete and I was told it ran 3 years ago (ok, we'll see about that).
    The floors look solid and so is most of the sheetmetal. Someone years ago decided to weld (obviously not professionals) the fenders to the body and smooth them over with bondo....lots and lots of bondo, some of it an inch thick...REALLY! The worse part is the truck lid, it's not saveable.
    Not something that will be on the road too soon (unless it really does run) but something to tinker with.
    I considered giving it the gasser treatment but I think I'm gonna just lower it, throw on some wide whites either on steelies or chrome reverse.
    Oh, and those are 14" Fenton Mags on the front and what used to be chrome slots on the rear.

Attached Files:

2. The front bumper is cool. Stock?

3. congratz man looks to be a cool ride..

4. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Happy birthday and cool project, my 17th Birthday was January 4th too!

5. Donzie

Donzie

Thanks.
    Phil, I'm quite sure it's the stock bumper.
    Happy Birthday 'Coupe

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

Please tell me you're going to build a tail dragger!! Happy bd...

7. Donzie

Donzie

That thought has occured to me too. :D

8. Stock bumper, aftermarket ends

9. Cool score. I dig those cars

10. Cool project,sure better than my birthday present.:( (it sucks having a b-day 8 days before xmas, knowbody remembers)

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great find, One of my friends has you beat 29Bowtie, his BD is on Christmas day. Says he always felt he got the short end when he was a kid.

I'd play bodyman on that deck lid, you can't hurt it any by attempting to fix it.

Low with wide whites and skirts, Oh yea.

12. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Thats the koolest...I've always loved them esp as 'taildraggers'...

13. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

NOT FIXABLE!!! my ass it's not fixable. don't let Paul Beck hear you say that. he's built entire cars (32 Fords mostly) from the cast off parts most people think are "not fixable".

i dig that car. i do, however, think it would be far easier in the long run to build a gasser out of it. i have found myself many, MANY times wishing i had turned my 47 coupe into a gasser rather than a taildragger, just because it woulda been done by now with out all the fancy bodywork. plus the straight axle woulda been cheaper and easier to instal than the Mustang II IFS (which i happen to be working on tonight).
    i've still gotta chop that damn thing and build the other fender skirt (no i have'nt done that yet :rolleyes:). don't even get me started on the grill. i have NO idea what i'm gonna do with that yet... the good thing about having 48 projects (yes i'm exagerating) is that it gives you PLENTY of time to figure that sort thing out :D.

14. Donzie

Donzie

Yes, everything is fixable with enuff time and/or money. I think it would cheaper to just replace it though.

15. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

good luck. i' have'nt been able to find a decent one for my 47 Chevy yet. been lookin off and on for 4 years. when i do find one it is too faraway. guess i'll just rebuild the bottom 3 inches INSIDE AND OUT!

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

17. Ron

Ron

That is pretty cool, there was a green Plymouth taildragger about that year(I think) posted here before that looked great.

Did you get the roller blades with it?:)

18. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

19. Donzie

Donzie

The deck lid on mine isn't rusted but is pretty bent up...inside and out.
    I may have to find someone to fix it if I can't find a better one.

Is this the Green taildragger? Either way, it's killer!

Attached Files:

20. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

guy around here has one all stock. catches my eye everytime I walk by it. nice factory lines and that grill is just too cool. I think a some mild smoothing and lowering will make a very nice ride.

21. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

22. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

yea you need to just sell that to me so i can use it for parts for my 41 coupe....

23. Tin Can

Tin Can

Congrats,nice score. I love this body style

24. Donzie

Donzie

OK, 5 grand and it's yours...I'll even deliver it.

25. Maybe I've seen that car before. About 1977 or '78 I was in a junkyard in Richmond, Michigan. In there was a Mopar coupe of that vintage. Completely stock, looking like it was driven in and parked. It had screwed down sheetmetal patches covering the rear fender to body joint, hiding rust. Maybe the same car with bondo slapped on for esthetics.

Steve

26. Here's a vote against going the gasser route. A custom is a real custom. A faux gasser is a fake race car. Real A cup boobies are far better than foam rubber falsies. Can't beat real.

27. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

28. Donzie

Donzie

I agree. You can't have a "gasser" without a straight axle, big rear tires and a tunnel rammed V8 (ok, you can a little but you get my point).
    I'm leaning heavily toward a hot rodded custom. Riding low on wide whites w/ dump tubes, sans running boards and bumpers (maybe nerf bars). The headlight rings and trim on the nose of the hood will go.

29. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

One more for GASSER!! And put me down for TAILDRAGGER!!

30. Pinball

Pinball
    from lowell, mi

nice! maybe we need to to talk!