Register now to get rid of these ads!

manifold for the raised block Desoto Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 mopar_fan, Oct 28, 2007.

1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Yes it is original and even has the original factory correct carbs WCFB 2476S (front) and 2445S (rear) A freind of mine in Ohio has it, He was told it was for a Desoto Adventurer but he knew it wasn't for that since he has one of them, he decided to buy it after he realized what it was. It is said that they made 100 of them but very few are known to exsist. Also many of the intakes were converted to Holly carbs that has less of a tendency to wash out in hard cornering. And you can see that the manifold has not been drilled and tapped for the Holly carbs

Here is a picture with the carbs removed and the intake cleaned up.

Attached Files:

2. 39delux

39delux

That's a cool piece. I had a 331 Chrysler with 354 heads and dual quads in my '47 Ford back in the '60s and '70s. It used those same small base WCFBs but the intake looked like a log manifold and was very heavy cast iron.

Tom

3. Will the single 4 use the same plenum and runner configuration? Will it flow the same? What is the height of the casting?

4. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Yes, at this point the single will use the same configuration, I will be looking at what I can do to get the best possible flow which could include some dividers in the ends of the plenum. The design is a compromise, I and I don’t think anyone could afford to build individual patterns to cover all configurations. I intend to run some with injector bungs and that should take care of those wanting true performance and the ability to tune. I will grab the total height for you, sorry I don’t have it with me but 7” from the top to the valley cover on the front of the block springs to mind.
    For those wanting an update we milled the top and port surfaces last night and had a trial fit. Looking like we got everything sweet with the pattern

5. 97

Wow ,
    I don't know how I have missed this, well missed the fact that you are in NZ , Hamilton no less ??? Where are you getting the casting done? ( City ).
    Have you tried Jimmy Hannam, for a Hemi car to dyno he is up for most ideas, failing that GT might have a runner.

6. dehudso

dehudso

I'm keeping an eye on it still. It sure looks promising so far.

7. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Still watching Peter, anymore pics?

8. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi casting in Fielding :), was going to chase Jimmy and GT but looks like I found a running 330 in Hamilton. Talked to the guy briefly last night and will check it out this weekend.

Cheers
    Peter

9. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Hi Stan, did you find that song? Yes more photos to come. Just calling in favours all over the place to get carbs sorted and everything ready to test on the dyno running around like a one armed paper hanger

Cheers

Peter

10. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Song? I think you dreamed that one Peter.

Glad to hear everything is moving on, keep up the good work.

11. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Its all gone a bit quiet on this thread Peter, you're worrying me now!! I'm suffering update withdrawal symptoms!

12. Abomination

Abomination

Maybe he meant this song, Stan (below, in the quote).

~Jason

13. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Ahhhh...thanks Abomination. I'll pay more attention in the future, and I'll do that search right now!

14. Looking forward to an update on this

Stan you won't be the only one running one of these in the UK if he pulls it off, I have almost got my mitts on a 330

15. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Happy New Year guys. Stan sorry for the delay in getting back with an update, you found that song ok then?
    Had a couple of interruptions to the planned work, who was it that said “the best laid plans of mice and men often go astray”? (Or something like that). Personal problems with the father-in-law being diagnosed with terminal cancer took the gloss off Christmas, running up and down to the hospital etc.
    Christmas in itself is a heck of a time, it’s the summer holiday season down here and everyone shuts up shop and disappears to the beach. Most business are set to open on Monday the 7th so we should be all good again
    Got a running hemi to do the testing on and will be back into it as soon as possible.
    Don’t worry it will happen, I’m not dropping the ball on this
    Cheers
    Peter

16. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Peter,
    No one here will argue the fact that family comes first. Good luck, and thank you for the update.

Tom

17. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Sorry to hear about your father in law Peter, hope everything works out as well as it can. Hope your Xmas has been OK all things considered.

Taildraggin, when these inlets are ready might make sense to orders ours together. Where are you getting your 330 from?

18. Stan
    If all goes to plan from Kerry at Originals

19. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Cheers Guys Yeah he’s doing as well as expected.
    Anyway just a few notes on what I’ve been doing to get the 330 running on the dyno. Built a frame to hold it. I got an original Trans space plate sent over, my motor didn’t have one was going to use it to build an adaptor for a 904 auto. Anyway I needed to run a flywheel and we decided to spin one out of steel and stick ring gear on it. I should say at this time I don’t have access to a engine dyno so we are mounting it in a frame and directly coupling a diff via a driveshaft to the flywheel (Pictures to come) the dyno bolts to the diff hubs it’s not a rolling road style.
    Anyway was talking to a friend that is into flathead mopar motors, turns out the pre 50s 6 and 8 bolt flywheels fit the 8 bold hemi cranks, just need two extra holes drilled in the flywheel and for this exercise will just use the 6 bolts. Had to cut a little off the back of the flywheel to clear the thick adaptor plate but everything is sweet. But be warned the 6 volt starter must be used to match the 6 volt ring gear. I’m sure I could find a 12 volt ring gear to fit.
    The fresh off the boat 330 rotates but I need run over it and change the plugs, leads filter etc and clear out the carb. The lucky guy got a 4 barrel engine so it will be interesting to compare the stock manifold with mine.
    Got a pair of Edlebrock 500 carbs to use on the manifold so everything is looking fine.
    Already found a couple of refinements to make to the manifold but nothing major. The proof will be in the pudding
    Been out to a local box manufacturing company and got them to quote and build a sample cardboard box to fit the manifold. Luckily they deal in small runs so I don’t need to order a truck load. This should ease the problems with shipping
    Cheers
    Peter

20. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

As mentioned yesterday, the first photo is the jappa motor mounted in a frame with the diff ready to attach to the dyno
    Second photo is the frame we built and the third is my hemi mounted in the frame
    The flywheel is the flathead one
    And the last is another tease with two carter carbs sitting in place
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files:

21. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Nices Pics Peter, wish I was there for all the fun. Will you be trying it with the 3 twos set up?

Taildraggin, Spoke to Kerry last night, my 330 is the one out of his coupe which we're going to pick up next weekend along with all my other goodies that he has just shipped in for me. He did say he was looking for another motor for someone while he was in the US, I assume that was you.

22. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Stan
    Yeah will be trying all combinations on the dyno. Must say working with 97s is a steep learning curve, I believe fuel pressure and float level is paramount and jetting sounds like fun. adjustable jets would make life easy but I don’t have those at this point. I do the give it a try and see how we go method.
    Will be recording the whole event so should be able to post some video clips etc
    Nice to see you guys getting into 330s. Its coming out of a coupe, what are you sticking it in?
    Found out that two more 330s got imported and sold locally, one is a four barrel version that I will be using to test on. The guy is in the same rod club as me.
    I forgot to mention the photo of the manifold with the two fours is sitting an a chilly bin full of beers. Wish I had the time to drink them :)
    Cheers
    Peter

23. chopperjeff

chopperjeff
    BANNED
    from minnesota

I'm in I'm in said she can't feel it itake two

24. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Hi Peter
    I'm building an east coast style unchopped very channelled '31 Coupe, blackwalls, steels, bit of flake.....you know the kind of thing!

I'm no expert in 97's either, are the "new" ones any easier to set up?

Like the idea of video clips, if a picture paints a thousand words, then a video clip must be War and Peace!

25. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

I believe the new ones are brilliant, with only one problem They sell for $700 NZD each and the business partner ( wife) wasn’t keen to fork out $2100.
    Tried to talk to Demon Carbs about their Demon 98 but the guy will not return my emails. Figured I’m too small to talk to or something like that.
    Got a question about generators or alternators, I haven’t made provision for the stock generator, is that going to be a problem? We can add something but just wanted to check with you guys
    Cheers
    Peter

26. silent rick

silent rick

i haven't seen a log style intake yet that comes with provisions for a generator mount. i mounted a gm one wire alternator off the front of the passenger side head on my 291. you would have to go way lower than that to mount the stock generator.

27. Stan that will be another coupe with a Hemi:D
    My coupe will be chopped and channelled, I'm only a short ass:D.
    Where you from and when will you have your coupe on the road.
    Kerry is sending my Hemi down on a pallet as he his a bit too far away for me to collect it.

28. Stan

Stan
    from UK

I suppose its the old question of do you dick about for hours with rebuild kits trying to get 3 good carbs out of a pile of swap meet scrap, or do you bite the bullet and lash out? I certainly don't know the answer! I have spent years doing the former, although am hoping to try the latter with this build, till the cash runs out obviously!!

Generator isn't an issue for me as mine is on a low mount, however I do have a question about oil breathers which is, will the manifold have the facility for plumbing a PCV system in?

29. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Thats both of us style warriors then;).

Coupe won't be on the road for a couple of years I would guess, so you may well beat me to it. I live about 40mins from Kerry so its dead handy for us and he has been really helpful letting ship my stuff in his container, top bloke.

You may have seen my body for sale, it was the one on the NSRA site that artiboy69 was selling back in the summer. Absolutely double mint, which suits me as spending a year in the garage just welding up rot is not my idea of fun!

30. 38 mopar_fan

38 mopar_fan

Would love to see some photos of your projects guys.
    Stan have made provision for a power brake booster vac port under the manifold. see attached photo. We also adding a pad on the back of the manifold to allow the placement of additional ports. You could use a double connector on the bottom port but I’m worried about the potential impact on the brake booster by having a PCV valve in the same fitting. Could be that you will not run a booster then the one port will do. You could drill and fit a small port for a Vac gauge.
    Still progressing on the manifold. Gone off Murphy and his stupid laws.
    Cheers
    Peter

Attached Files: