Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT - The balance of my hot rod fund is going to our dog.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Late this afternoon I had just sat down on the couch and saw our German Shepard Annie chase a pickup and get hit rolling under the pickup just past our tree row. Her chasing is fairly new behavior. I knew it would be bad so I grabbed my wallet, cell, and keys and ran out the door.

The pickup was coming back and I saw Annie in the ditch trying to walk but not using her right hind leg.

I broke a bunch of speed laws getting her to the vet. They immediately reasured me that she didn't have internal injuries. The xray showed only the right hind femur broken but it's a mess. The surgery to fix it is going to cost so there goes the rest of what I had saved up for a special project. She's like our second daughter though so I didn't give it a thought.

She's having surgery tomorrow. Makes stuff like the project I was saving for seem pretty silly. Heavy sigh. My heart's breaking right now. Sounds dumb but say a prayer for my fuzzy girl. She's a sweetheart.

Attached Files:

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

You know I have a soft spots for the dumb animals. I have 2 German Shepherds.

3. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

hey, that's why they call them 'man's best friend'...you can always build a car...

4. 53chevy

53chevy

Ahh! My first dog was a German Shepard named PJ. Among the best dogs I've had. Good luck and prayer for a speedy recovery. Hope things will look up down the road.

Ken

5. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

That's a bummer.

My son's golden mix got out and got hit. By the time he got home, etc they had to amputate the leg so he's now on three legs -- but that hasn't slowed him down!

Good luck and best wishes for the "Paw Peiople" in your life.

6. best wishes and get well soon ...

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep they are like family..they kinda grow on ya..sorry to hear about her injury hope shes well again soon and really hope she learned her lesson about fighting with cars..the dam cars always win girl.

8. KIRK

KIRK

Our dog had surgery a couple weeks ago for a growth on her chest. She is fine now. I know what you mean about putting projects on hold. What ever it takes to keep them in good shape. They are a member of the family. Good luck.

9. Tony

Tony

Damn that sucks! I love Shepard's..and she's a good looking one..
    It's not dumb to say a prayer for her...She's a member of your family.
    That being said, prayer's headed your way..

10. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

glad it did not kill her Kerry , hopefully she will respect cars next time .
    now she knows they hurt if you catch them !
    dog`s are better then most car part`s !
    but I would trade my closest friend for a Scott blower right about now !
    not really .:) hope your pup and pocket book heel !
    I said heel !... heel !... dam dog`s !

11. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Your ride cannot give you unconditional love like your dog can. So Annie comes first. Anyone who puts their best friend first, well, Kerry, this sure says a lot about you.

Best wishes to you and the recovery of Annie,

HellRaiser

12. So sorry to hear about your best friend, I have 4 dogs and they love it when I'm in the shop workin on the hot rods. I know how you must feel, I wouldn't know what to do without mine. Good luck and I know she's worth every cent spent.

13. 8flat

8flat

My wife's a vet, she works on a lot of HBCs (hit-by-car), glad to see yours lived through it!

It's good you see the value in having the surgery, lot's of owners don't....

14. D.W.

D.W.
    from Austin Tx.

Ya'll will get through it. Dogs are tough as hell & German shepards are some of the most noble creatures in the world! We lost ours to old age this past spring but he was the best friend I ever had. So get Annie on the mend & worry bout the car later. She will be just fine;)
    Here is a shot of Ike helping me build the coupe:)

Attached Files:

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Hang in there Kerry...it will all work out...we lost our little buddy last year around Christmas. Skip

16. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Every morning when I walk out of the bedroom, our dog looks at me, tail going a hundred miles an our, rubbing her head on me and nuzzling me like we haven't seen eachother in weeks. She's just damn glad to see me.

My car won't do that.

We've got an invisible fence, and it works great. I found out you have to follow the directions about putting the flags in the yard, otherwise they just don't make the connection. Every now and then she'd ignore it and run through, if there were kids calling her or what ever (she's an Airdale--about 50 pounds of puppy, raised with our son, so she's just totally full of energy and play). We took her on a big trip for Thanksgiving, and the whole week she was a little uneasy. When we got back, we haven't hooked the fence back up, but she she's been nuts about staying in the yard. There was something about being that far from her home that really sunk in.

After she gets back from the vet, check into an invisible fence. We've got half an acre "roped" off.

I'm POSITIVE God listens to prayers for pets!

-Brad

17. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I have Shepards, but what was your dog doing out, being able to chase a car??? They are like children, they can't, really be trusted.

18. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

i know how you feel, i have been their.....

19. ratster

ratster

its just a car

20. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Hey Kerry,
    Man I just scolded our old schnauzer for pooping on the rug. Now I feel ,well, kinda like dog poop.

Glad the prognosis is good, sending a prayer for your family buddy.

GV

21. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

my dog Trouble got out when i forgot to shut the gate when i came home, chased a cat and got nailed, he was about 6 months old and i only had him for about 2 weeks. broke his front leg and and deskinned it, broke his rear leg, and broke his hip rotating bone ball off!! other than that he was ok!:eek: one of the coolest dogs i have, sometimes it s hard to spend the money but there isnt another one like him.. hope everything turns out for ya

22. Blackie

Blackie

I don't even like German Shepards (pointing to 2 inch scar above eye) and my heart goes out to you, man... Dogs are the greatest gift to humans...

23. Kerry, I'll keep annie in my thoughts! I never really had a dog or any pets growing up and then about 8 months ago one morning when the old lady got to the office there was this sickly little chiuaua sitting on the steps, no tags, not fixed all his nails almost growing back into themselves, grossly thin, etc. she brought him in, gave him some water and a blanket from the car and he stayed by her side completely calm. Later (after I got the call, "Honey I found a dog can I bring him home" call) we took him to a vet to have him scanned for a chip which he did not have, the vet also gave him a quick look over, said he was about 8-10 months old a pound underwieght (he should only weigh about 3.75-4 pounds) he had a fungus in his ears, ingrown nails, and compacted cainine teeth. So, at this point we reported him to all the local animal shelters, and spca and took him home. We kept him for the night and by the next day he was pretty much part of the family, we decided that we were going to keep him although the spca said that somone had 30 days to claim him before we could "legally" adopt him, but we kind of looked at his options and figured where ever he came from he wasn't loved, and wasn't cared for so if the spca calls back we were just going to say he got out. fortunately, we never got a call. after a week we took him to the vet, to get the fungus and his nails taken care of, and the local animal shelter "Pet's Lifeline" was generous enough to donate getting him fixed, chipped, and his dental work done.
    okay, big guy and a little dog jokes aside, I can totally understand how you feel, if it came down to it, my projects are just metal and hardware, they can do nothing to replace the joy that comes from having a dog.

anyway, this is "Sprocket"
    [​IMG]

24. My thoughts and prayers for your pup. This one cost me $3500. Its a sign of health care costs - people or dogs I guess. I can't figure out if vets are crooks or its just an expensive operation regardless of your species.

Attached Files:

25. Hey, Kerry,

Prayers for you and your family for strength as you go through this. Prayers for your dear one, Annie, for a good surgery and for complete and quick healing. I have to bring one of my dogs to the vet tomorrow morning to have a cut looked at, so I'll be thinking about and praying for Annie and you all at that time too.

Do be sure to update us tomorrow, please.

26. I know one of the vets who own the clinic I took her to. In fact we are in church leadership together. They treat both Annie and myself right . I trust them a great deal.

Last spring we had been trying to get a Lab. We tried for two and were beat out by other families in both cases. I was out of town for a work thing when we got beat out on the last one. Tears were being shed by my daughter who had really fallen for that one. That's when Annie showed up. Cheryl told me over the phone a German Shepherd stray had shown up. My first thought was that some mistreated mean dog had been dumped. When I got home she won my heart in a mater of minutes. Very well behaved, house, crate and some obedience trainig to boot. I either want to smack the folks for dumping her or thank them for sharing. It really felt like a God thing that she ended up with us. We named her Annie because of the rags to riches thing.

27. r8odecay

r8odecay

i had a boxer several years ago take a hit by a karmann ghia and suffered the same injury. she wore a pin out the top of her hip for 2 months, and had some arthritis later in life, but worth every penny to help her. i ate ramen for months and the vet somehow knew exactly how much money i had to my name. Good on you, they are family, you know.

28. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

Prayers from Nick and Maggi for a hot rod fast recovery!

29. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I know how you feel.

Waylon ( My "Lab Mix"-You other Staffordshire bull terrier owners will get that one) is the only dog I have ever heard of who sprained his tail by wagging it too hard. I have several witnesses (who happen to be hambers) to back that up. If it came right down to it, I would give anything I own for him.

30. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Hope your dog heals up quick, I know Id be a wreck if anything like that happen either of my terriers. You can always buy car parts another day.