Register now to get rid of these ads!

Its 2008.. January Banger Meeting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hollywood 423, Jan 1, 2008.

1. hollywood 423

hollywood 423
    from west ohio

I'll start it off this year.I need some ideas on a cam. I'm running 2 Stromberg 97's,zoomie header ,Malllory dizzy,3:78 rear end, on a fenderless roadster so its kind of light. Most driving is out on the road with very little in town . An old timer aroud here said to get a Winfeild 3/4 grind. I may latter go to a 6 to 1 comp. head. What do you babbet pounders think? ... Hollywood 423

2. No ideas on a cam for ya - I've been running my Fordor stocker as a daily for the past 2 months.

Gonna rest the poor ol' crate for a month and pull the engine for a couple of jobs - the clutch has been grinding away with constant use....

So - first, a lightened flywheel with a V8 clutch cover. Oh - and some strange holes....

[​IMG]

Second - gonna fit an electric fuel pump to supply this little sucker...

[​IMG]

Like the stack o' adaptors?!

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I'm interested in the location for your fuel pump...I know pushing is best..but such a short run it doesent matter...I'm interested in a sano place instead on firewall..what are your plans?

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Adapting Bosch Distributors to a '32 Plymouth and a '26 Dodge. The Plymouth uses a Pinto part and the Dodge a VW part. They are the same inside. Now I can get parts at Pep Boys.

Attached Files:

5. HulaZombie

HulaZombie

Aloha Everyone
    I just purchased a 1930 Tudor,complete with 4 banger.....Thinking of keeping it. Where can I get parts for it?? Do the engines hold up well? Performance parts ??
    Most common problems to watch out for. How does it work on long distance runs ?? Oh ya and where can I get an electric starter ??
    Thanks for your help ! Hope to be another Banger soon !
    Bill

6. As some of you read in last months meeting I am still fighting my oil leak in my B. I ordered a rear main seal today to (hopefully) cure it. I ordered a one peice seal that you have to slip over the rear flange and it sits were the slinger was (you have to machine that off). I bought it from AC&R, and hopefully it will do the trick. Other than that, getting the V8 tranny and hydrallic brakes ready for the car.

7. I used a Winfield SU-1R cam as recomended by William Nelson. The cam runs awesome, and I am running the 6.0:1 head, dual 81's, counter balanced crank, lightened flywheel and a header. It is really responsive and sounds great! If you go to last months meeting theres a video of it running.

8. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I run a SU1R and rate it highly, though not all SU1R's are the same! I got mine from Jim Brierley and would recommend him for a cam.

I run my fuel pump inside my chassis rail, underneath the passenger footwell. I made up a simple heat-shield to protect the pump from the silencer and never have any problems with vaporsation. It's been there for four years with no problems.

Haven't done much this last month. Never really do when xmas is approaching, December tends to be quiet. Just getting ready to ride out of the rest of winter and then start looking forward to spring.
    Nice to see some other people are hard at work though!

9. What fuel pump did you use Darren? Was thinking of using an SU pump myself - had one working fine on the T for years. Thought one with banjo fittings and coiled copper lines would suit my old english jalopy...

10. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Went modern with it and used a Facet, Phil. Didn't mind as no-one can see it!
    I owned a Moggie Minor for 12 years and wouldn't touch another SU pump if my knackers depended on it. Conking out whilst halfway across the Severn Bridge - in a gale - is one of least fond memories of that fuel pump.

11. Nothing says old English jalopy more than EDIS electronic ignition!

I've alwyas run the Facet pumps. On the roadster its in the same place as Darrens. Its small enough that it sits inside the channel of the chassis rail and it not really visible.
    The coupe has a facet mounted on the back of the firewall under the fuel tank on the passenger side.

12. Hahahaha. Well - I'd probably swap it to solid state to replace the points - although I've only had the points fur up once on mine. Trying to get into Wales in a Morris Minor? Only got y'self to blame...

As for the carb plan - that's a 1-1/2" Reece Fish sitting there. UK licensed smaller version of the Fish carb. Dunno if it'll work. They were very popular for Mini racing in years gone by. It flows about 150CFM fitted to a Mini A Series.

13. Neat stuff!! Is that dizzy angle drive stock Mopar?:cool:

14. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

:D:D:D

15. Concealed in a Huntley & Palmers biscuit tin I reckon...

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Stock Dodge Bros. Pre Chrysler Corp. It drove the distributer, fan belt, Water pump, and generator. After Dodge merged into Chrysler they used 6 and 8 cylinder engines.

17. 36Brua

36Brua

Rich, Nice to see things appear to be normal (?) at your garage..

18. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

I recommend the Carter rotary fuel pump mounted of the inner frame. Work it through the Holley low pressure regulator mounted on the firewall as you have to adjust it to the correct pressure.

19. Wildfire

Wildfire

Put a bare block in my A for mock up - expecting to get the runner back in March.

20. Hey guys,

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all.
    Has anyone talked about cam gears for Model A's on here?
    I have a 2nd hand alloy one that keeps getting noiser to the pointof sounding like a bottom end knock

Your help is appeciated!

Thanks,

Greg

21. Tooth or two gone???

22. Are you sure that the cam nut is tight?

23. On the cam. I have both a Brierley and a Mike Hart SU1R cam. The car made the most power with the Brierley cam. I bought the Mike Hart from Mike a few years before he passed away. I believe the "Scalded Dog" now being sold by C Yapp is actually the mike Hart grind. The Mile Hart grind sure had more lope at Idle and sounded good but never ran as fast as the Brierley. My current Winfield flat head has a Brierley-Winfield SU1A.

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Enbloc has a 1A, I think. Haven't seen him run on the quarter with it but hopefully this year.
    I've got nothing but good things to say about Jim B and his cams. He's helped me out a lot in the past with advice.

25. Any idea on what the symptoms of a loose cam nut are? A knock? Rattle?

The Brierley 1A is a screamer.

26. [​IMG]
    I remember something about checking a noisy timing gear by inserting the timing pin in while the engine is running, probably at idle and if the noise goes away then the problem is with the gear. Of course this was with a fiber timing gear . This was more for trouble shooting strange noise.
    Here is where I am at on my latest project, plumbing the filter, after making the filter bracket location too close, I had one similar to this and made it from memory but now I realize it was for a "B" block.I think I can remove the kink by shortening the hose slightly.

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Does it sacrifice any low-down power though?

28. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I've got a Brierley M57 grind in mine, a little more duration but a little less lift than an 1A and it does suffer below 1500 RPM. It lopes along fine in traffic but hasn't got much go till the rev's pick up, just means I have to shift down a little more than most, which is fun with the stock transmission! It peaks out around 4200 revs but I've only got a single Winfield SR B carb on it at the moment, I'll be upgrading to a big ol' D if I ever get round to fabricating a manifold to suit.

Not much to report this month by the way. The girlfriend and I did however take a chilly trip to the seaside town of Frinton yesterday to have a nose at the Art Deco houses. It was a development that was supposed to be something like 1,000 houses, started in 1934 and stopped in 1936 it never lived up the the dream. The dog went for a swim in the sea (brrrr!) and we all got to eat Fish and Chips on the front. A typical English trip to the seaside!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Have you not put an offer in yet for any of those houses, Neil?

30. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I wish! There are a couple of smaller ones but they're still twice the price of our bungalow. How about you, Juno and Henry splitting halfway with us?