Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know these people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPSHOP, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mykwillis

mykwillis

that address is just right down the street from me.

since the logos are pretty much the same, is it possible that they are generic logos? you know? kinda like tattoo flash?

kinda like when you go to a tattoo studio and you think you are getting a one off tattoo then you see 10 others just like it through out your life.

that make any sense?

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

Hey ChopShop, let me know if you need a new logo. A "One of a kind"!

3. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

we actually hand drew what we were looking for and then took it to an artist who created a rendering. We then took that rendering to our graphics guy to create it- I have all the original artwork as it unfolded too- conveniently scanned as each round of work occured, on my computer-
    Its dating back to 2004 so sounds like maybe Im being copied out there more than I realized...LOL

Unfortunatley- using the 50's era or Art Deco era that I was going for- there are usually variations of the same 20or so designs because we all have seen them out there , and cant remember when ...
    I know there is artwork that looks like our 2nd choice out thee in Disney world! Almost exact , and we had designed it 3 years earlier.

4. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

see my post above... I wish it was not that this mess has started. I wouldnt even be pissed if they kept it, changed the circles ro orbs or squares and updated the colors- then at least it doesnt look like a DIRECT rip off....:eek:

5. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

I've seen other HAMB'ers do the T-shirt deal, or repro signs, or decals, etc. with logos or icons that are still actively protected trademarks ! Hopefully, they are not doing it on purpose. They must think they are paying homage to the original namesakes, and don't realize that they are just as guilty as the person or persons that counterfeit brand name clothing or music lyrics. Usually, a nice "warning" will keep them in check, but if they continue, you have no choice but to unload the total wrath of the legal system on them and "bury" them.

6. ems customer service

ems customer service

hate to say it but i think it is legal, there are enough differences to clear into a legal condition

7. roadracer

roadracer

copyright? i thought logo's were a trademark (tm) deal, not copyright..

regardless, good luck!

8. Really, stole the logo, name, and some cute chick probably would shit if she saw her image on that sight!

9. CNC-Dude

CNC-Dude

Works of art like logos can also fall into copyrights as well. Try www.copyright.gov for all the details about all the FAQ concerning copyrights. How to register your copyrights, what is and isn't protected, etc.... It says that a person doesn't have to formally register their copyright with the copyright offices, but by making it a matter of public record will help validate true rights to it in case of instances just like this. Also, the copyright symbol(the circle with the C in the middle), needs to be a part of any and all work that is copyrighted to show that it is indeed protected. I have several patents myself, and several that have a pending status and know all too well what will happen if you don't try to protect your ideas and hard work. The USPTO website is very usefull for those who are seeking to explore trademarks,patents and copyrights. Good luck and hope you will prevail this situation.

10. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

so,could the estate of Ed Roth sue everybody that does monster hot rod T-shirts? :confused:
    i think Curious Rash might have to pony up some dough for his avatar :rolleyes::p:D

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

im thinkin' you're screwed!..nothin' you can do about it. un less you want to spend more than its worth to gain.

12. ncranger05

ncranger05

[​IMG] << that's who "designed" the website

13. Probably not,but they can go after anyone selling Rat Fink stuff.

14. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Something like this happened to me, the fine folks at Holloywood Cross Speed shop are using my artwork. I asked them to stop and the response was, “Oh, we thought it was clipart.” I explained that no, that is my flathead in my model A right NOW. I created the art and it’s on my copyrighted website.
    [​IMG]

15. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

First, let me say that I'm no expert in this area.

It is a gray area, but I don't think there's a leg to stand on in this case. I wouldn't deem this logo to have "sufficient authorship", and even if it does have sufficient authorship (must be well beyond just a name or phrase), probably only the words would get the protection and not the artwork...particularly since the artwork is rather generic to a time period. The logo should have been trademarked to protect the artwork. (However, I don't think that even under a trademark it is protectible in the case of this particular logo.) Just because you get a copyright or trademark does NOT mean it is enforceable. You can get a copyright or trademark on almost anything...whether it is enforceable is a whole different matter.

Here's what the U.S. Copyright Office says on the matter of logos:

How do I copyright a name, title, slogan or logo?
    Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks. Contact the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 800-786-9199, for further information. However, copyright protection may be available for logo artwork that contains sufficient authorship. In some circumstances, an artistic logo may also be protected as a trademark.

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

and its still there... bastards!

17. KillerKustom

KillerKustom

I get your point. I wonder if GM knows you are using thier "V" in you logo?

18. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

Remember Ford and the whole repop industry? remember GM and Danchuk?
    What about snob shop "Harrods"? ,they sued any one throughout the world who dared use the name.
    go get them mate,they stole it,it's your property no matter what form it has taken. You will win court and they will pay your costs. Dig into this marketing company and you will find something like this:
    http://spankmymarketer.com/tenneco.html

Lawyer tells you he cannot help? go to another!

19. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Actually their "V" (of which I have one on my own car) is beveled . OURS on our logo isnt- BUT the copycat logo IS...LOL

Bottom line on this is that its obviously a knockoff of some kind- my artist knows now as well_we showed it to him yesterday-AND he said the same thing- 'they stole your artwork'.

It is protected because its on a website WE created and copywrited .

All I want is for them to make it more their OWEN instead of an obvious stel - Id be good with that.

Still no response from them yet either- Dana will be calling them later this week to see if they 'got' the email...
    If they ignore it, then they are not as upstanding as they claim to be - in this car community we all know how small it is- people WILL talk - and its just not right.

20. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Update to our original posting:

Dana called to Christy today. As soon as she said who she was Jim Fritz got on the phone...

He saidaas far as he was concerned he paid for the logo and there was nothing to talk about. NICE.
    Apparently he feels because it isnt TRADEMARKED that his graphics people coud use one 'like it' because it was more than 10% different.

Unfortunatley this is not a trademark but a copywrite infrigement UGH

He also mentioned they changed their logo whrn the movie 'CARS" came out because the thought the 'CARS' logo was cute. We have had the logo since 2005! :eek:

Incredibly rude people both of them- and to think they put car shows on in Texas for charity! Not exactly the type of people I'd want to help support...:mad:

Not sure wht our next steps are- Dana offered to really work with them (she even said just changing the colors would make us happy).

Jim hung up on her!

I guess maybe , now we should notify Ciadella that they are using the moniker C.A.R.S. lol-

Maybe a visit from some HAMBurglers ae in order.... or maybe we shoudl let their sponsors know they stole out logo...
    In any event- NOT good karma.

21. mykwillis

mykwillis

i would just leave it at that to save your headache. i'm a firm believer in karma.

thats why i don't want to go fuck with them for you. :D

22. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Why not suggest they go back to their other(older?) logo, which is still on their (open directory) webspace...

http://carsroadshow.com/images/ ->
    [​IMG]

23. 5window

5window

I noticed on their website that "Stateside Remodeling" is their sponsor-think I'll forward them this thread.

24. mykwillis

mykwillis

my weekly eating spot is at 3110 saturn. i'll see if i can find there address when i'm over there next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.