Register now to get rid of these ads!

Texas Antique Tag guys...in here please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob Dobolina, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

So...on a vehicle, registered as an antique, with year of manufacture tags, they give you a "tab" to be mounted on the rear tag, correct? Tx Dot, DMV, & Tarrant county are no help on this one so here goes.....

Anyone here know what statute/section it is that states the tag is to be affixed to the REAR tag???

There is a code compliance/police officer i wish to "enlighten" on this issue. :rolleyes:

2. Dan1955

Dan1955

In Oklahoma I got all the info at a tag agency. Application for YOM tag. They send out a decal to be displayed on windshield. Iknow this may not be the way it is in Texas. But thats where I started. Good luck.

3. senior fried

senior fried

The little 2 in. square tag screws on the top right rear plate. The nice thing is that is a 5 year tag, you need 2 matching plates for the year of the car. Anyone at the Collin county office can help you.

4. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There's some information on this website, but it's not an official Texas website: http://www.turnerplates.com/Texas%20YOM%20Law.html

This is from the State of Texas website, at http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/TN/content/htm/tn.007.00.000504.00.htm#504.102.00

SUBCHAPTER F. SPECIALTY LICENSE PLATES FOR CERTAIN VEHICLES

§ 504.501. CLASSIC MOTOR VEHICLES. (a) The department
    shall issue specialty license plates for a motor vehicle that is at
    least 25 years old. The license plates must include the words
    "Classic Auto," "Classic Motorcycle," or "Classic Truck" or a
    similar designation, as appropriate.
    (b) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use
    license plates that were issued by this state in the same year as
    the model year of the vehicle and are approved by the department.
    The department may require the attachment of a registration
    insignia to the license plate in a manner that does not affect the
    display of information originally on the license plate.

(c) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under
    this section is $15.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, § 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

It also says in the next section of statutes:

§ 504.502. CERTAIN EXHIBITION VEHICLES; OFFENSE.
    (a) The department shall issue specialty license plates for a
    passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or former military vehicle that:
    (1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a
    passenger car, truck, or motorcycle;
    (2) is a collector's item;
    (3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club
    activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and is
    not used for regular transportation; and
    (4) does not carry advertising.
    (b) The license plates must include the words "Antique
    Auto," "Antique Truck," "Antique Motorcycle," or "Military
    Vehicle," as appropriate.
    (c) A person eligible for the license plates may instead use
    license plates issued by this state in the same year as the model
    year of the vehicle and approved by the department, provided that a
    passenger car must bear passenger car or truck license plates and a
    truck must bear passenger car or truck license plates. The
    department may require attachment of a registration insignia to the
    license plate in a manner that does not affect the display of
    information originally on the license plate.
    (d) License plates issued or approved under this section
    expire on the fifth anniversary of the date of issuance or approval.
    (e) The fee for issuance or approval of license plates under
    this section is:
    (1) $10 for each year or portion of a year remaining in
    the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured
    in 1921 or later; or
    (2) $8 for each year or portion of a year remaining in
    the five-year registration period if the vehicle was manufactured
    before 1921.
    (f) The department may exempt a former military vehicle from
    the requirement to display a license plate or registration insignia
    if the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate
    military markings. The department may approve an alternative
    registration insignia that is compatible with the vehicle's
    original markings.
    (g) A person entitled to specialty license plates or to
    department approval under this section may register the vehicle
    without payment of any fees paid for or at the time of registration
    except the fee for the license plate. An owner of a vehicle
    registered under this subsection who violates this section commits
    an offense. An offense under this section is a misdemeanor
    punishable by a fine of not less than $5 or more than $200.
    (h) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a vehicle
    issued license plates under Subsection (a) shall be required to
    attach and display only one license plate on the rear of the
    vehicle.

(i) In this section, "former military vehicle" means a
    vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size,
    weight, or year of manufacture, that:
    (1) was manufactured for use in any country's military
    forces; and
    (2) is maintained to represent its military design and
    markings accurately.
    (j) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution of an
    offense under this section that at the time of the offense the
    vehicle was en route to or from a location for the purpose of
    routine maintenance of the vehicle.

Added by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1320, § 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2003.

Amended by:
    Acts 2005, 79th Leg., Ch. 1318, § 1, eff. September 1,

5. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Senor, i have the tag, attached to the top of the rear tag. The truck sits backed in so he would have to actually gotten out of his car & waddled to the bacjk of the truck to see the tag, affixed as per state law.

Stuart, that's what i needed...now i can go & cite chapter & verse to this nitwit.

thanks guys

6. Bob,
    I believe the tag on the rear plate is a default, because it is not required to run two antique plates on the vehicle. However as you would know, you need to show two plates during regristration to ensure there is not duplication involved.

7. Not trying to Hijack, but I'm still looking for a pair of TEXAS 1938 plates. Thanks.

8. senior fried

senior fried

Bob, I read it to fast, Good luck, go let em have it. Happy Ney Year !

9. kustombypook

kustombypook

I was told at the registration office it IS REQUIRED to run two plates in Texas, regardless of year of vehicle.

10. BLAKE

BLAKE

Look here - http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/txmclaws.htm#Chapter%204

Specifically...

TRC §502.275.

CERTAIN ANTIQUE VEHICLES; OFFENSE.

(a) The department shall issue specially designed license plates for a passenger car, truck, motorcycle, or former military vehicle that:

(1) is at least 25 years old, if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, or motorcycle;

(2) is a collector's item;

(3) is used exclusively for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest, and is not used for regular transportation; and

(4) does not carry advertising.

(b) Special license plates issued under Subsection (a) must include the words "Antique Auto," "Antique Truck," "Antique Motorcycle," or "Military Vehicle," as appropriate.

(c) In lieu of issuing plates under Subsection (a), the department may approve for use license plates presented by the owner that were issued by this state in the same year as the model year of a vehicle described by Subsection (a). The department shall approve for use on a passenger car license plates that were issued for a passenger car or for a truck and shall approve for use on a truck license plates that were issued for a truck or for a passenger car. If the department approves license plates under this subsection , the department shall issue a symbol for attachment to one of the license plates, as determined by the department, showing the year in which the vehicle was registered under this section.

(d) License plates issued under Subsection (a) or approved under Subsection (c) are valid for a maximum period of five years.

(e) The department shall issue license plates under Subsection (a) or approve license plates under Subsection (c) and shall issue a registration receipt to a person who:

(1) files a sworn written application with the county assessor-collector of the county in which the person resides that:

(A) is on a form provided by the department;

(B) if the vehicle is a passenger car, truck, or motorcycle, contains the make, body style, motor number, and age of the vehicle;

(C) states any other information required by the department; and

(D) states that the vehicle and the use of the vehicle comply with Subsection (a); and

(2) pays a fee of:

(A) $10 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period, if the vehicle was manufactured in 1921 or a later year; or

(B) $8 for each year or portion of a year remaining in the five-year registration period, if the vehicle was manufactured before 1921.

(f) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, the department may exempt a former military vehicle from the requirement to display license plates or any symbol, tab, or other device indicating registration of the vehicle if the department determines that the exemption is necessary to maintain the vehicle's accurate military design or markings.

(g) A vehicle registered under this section is exempt from the registration fee otherwise prescribed by this chapter.

(h) Registration under this section is valid without renewal for the period for which the vehicle was registered if the vehicle is owned by the same person.

(i) A county assessor-collector may not renew the registration of a vehicle under this section until the registered owner surrenders to the assessor-collector any license plates or symbol and the registration receipt issued for the vehicle for the previous period.

(j) If a vehicle registered under this section is transferred to another owner or is junked, is destroyed, or otherwise ceases to exist, the registration receipt and any license plates or symbol are immediately void and the license plates or symbol issued under this section shall be sent immediately to the department.

(k) An owner of a vehicle registered under this section who violates this section commits an offense. An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $5 or more than $200.

(l) Notwithstanding any other section of this code, a vehicle issued plates under Subsection (a) shall be required to display only one license plate, which is to be attached to the rear of the vehicle.

(m) In this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that:

(1) was manufactured for use in any country's military forces; and

(2) is maintained to accurately represent its military design and markings.

As Bruce Burroughs suggested to me a while back, prolly prudent to print this and carry it with you in the car.

11. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Not necessarily....

1946 farm truck tags....they only had one tag. War effort, ya know.
    I've found it helps to know some history when you approach the dmv folks. Had one gal tell me she wouldn't approve the 46 tags beacuse they weren't "reflectorized". Fun conversation when i told her that technology wasn't available in 1946. She wasn't amused...but i did get my plates approved:cool:

12. gmt900

gmt900

I have mine registered in Harris county an antique vehicle designation and the new state issued antique vehicle plates. I am only required to run a plate on the back and was not provided one for the front. Never had an issue. Then again this is a new plate and not recycled year of mfg. plates

13. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I call it "Know before you GO!"
    That right there is what gets you through the redtape. Unless its a 2006 Honda you better expect some kickback at the DMV.

Other than that nothing new to add to this thread, Stuart and Blake layed it out black and white.

14. Drive Em

Drive Em

As an added bit of information: I bought an N.O.S. pair of Texas truck plates for my '63 Ranchero. They are white with red numerals, and matched my truck nicely. That is the correct color scheme for a 1963 replacement plate, but my local tax office would not approve them as they said 1963 plates should be white with black numerals. I had to go to a local DOT office and get them approved, so if you end up with a pair of whites w/red numerals, they can be approved.

15. RichardW

RichardW

Something strange is going on in Texas this year. I have seen cars running year of manufacture plates with the small tag on the plate but I have also seen cars with yom plates with the regular blue and white windshield sticker. I don't know what is going on but to me it defeats the look of yom plates if you have to run a modern registration sticker. I was considering going to '31 plates but don't want that sticker on my windshield. Best find out before you commit.

16. Anderson

Anderson

Texas has been all over the place lately with the YOM plate stuff. I hear from one guy he got just the tag, no sticker, then another says he got the sticker. I don't think the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

I'd rather run a goofy plate than take a chance of running that stupid ass sticker in my window, so I just did the straight antique tags on both of mine.

Unless the red/white is something special, I always understood that even year texas plates were black with white letters, and odd year plates were white with black letters. At least in the '60's and '70's.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  17. I am told that some DMV and courthouses do not have the little tags so they give you a window sticker. I understand that in the furture there is only going to be the windshild sticker.Bruce Burroughs

18. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

I run a "dealer" 59 year tag. You only have to have one on the rear. TP

19. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

Then ask him about"blue dots".

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

When I registered my old '64 C-10 as an antique with Y.O.M. '64 Texas Truck plates, the lady told me the tag needed to be on the license plate. So I mounted it on the back side of the plate and bent it up flat, so that the face of the tag was facing the ground. That way, it's physically mounted on the plate, can't be seen from the back of the truck, but if you look up under the plate, you can read it. I was pulled over for doing well over the posted speed limit through a small town and the Sheriff was pretty cool. I asked him about the tag, and he said it was fine, as long as it was there. He also said I was only required to run 1 plate on the rear, and that the front wasn't necessary on an antique vehicle. But I ran one on the front because I thought it looked cool. ;)

21. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

bringing an old one back....

Has anyone been pulled over and fined for having Y.O.M. tags while not "in a parade, or going to the mechanic, or show" AKA just driving around

22. You can run YOM daily, if you have them under Classic.
    Classic has window stickers and has to be inspected annually like your OTM.
    So, no restrictions.
    BTW, YOM will not be issued for Classic after August IIRC.

I have never been harrassed for driving my Antique with YOM plates.
    I have both and the tag.
    I drive when and where I like, but if you ask...........I'm going to a show. ;)

23. Jim P

Jim P
    from Tyler, TX

Thats what I say as well.

On a different note I heard no more dealer tags approved. Must be a 2 plates for approval. I read the DMV information and it says 2 plates but I have seen dealer tags still on cars. Any thoughts?

24. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

YOM Farm Truck plates on my '56, driven every single day, never an issue.

Not sure about the dealer tags. They require 2 plates for any YOM plates that were originally issued in pairs. If the year was a single plate original issue, you're only required to have one. On any antique/classic with YOM tags, you are only required to have 1 plate on the vehicle.

25. Rivrat

Rivrat
    from Dallas

I talked to the DMV today and they said they are going to stop with the YOM plates so I better hurry up and get it done

26. racer32

racer32

Wish I could get the locals to approve MY Farm Truck tags. No dice in Grayson County-OR if you push the issue and they call Austin. Austin is the one that tolf them Farm tags are no good. I may run them anyway, and keep the state-issue antique tag in the cab just in case. As for the two tags statement...how can the person that made it account for the fact that when you get antiqe tags, you only get ONE.

27. LTM75110

LTM75110

I`ve been running them on my 1966 VW for about 7 years. I drive it all the time. I have the small metal tag mounted on the rear plate at lower right corner. I have my 1970 Nova SS registered also. Just did it last year. They gave me a blue sticker to put on the windshield. I guess it looks OK.?I`m now looking for a set of 1929 plates for my coupe$$$. Sometimes the plates can be sorta pricey up front,but they are good for 5 years.Plus no inspection sticker.

28. The Shocker

The Shocker

Not sure about the YOM tags but im running Texas antique tags on my 50 truck and only have the one in the rear.I drive it several days a week and havent been stopped yet ,no inspection sticker either BTW ,but i do have insurance on it obviously.These tags are also a 5 year deal .If i ever get stopped im on my way back from getting the trans fliud changed ,having the tires balanced ,getting the battery checked ,having a funny noise checked out ,etc .Law clearly states that i can drive it to and from having work done to it ,as well as shows and parades :D...

29. wayne-o

wayne-o

Anyone know exacty when the YOM plates are not going to be approved anymone?

30. The Shocker

The Shocker

Im thinking its the end of this year ,but im not positive on that ...