Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wanna see "Single stage flat black painted cars"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mercjoe, Dec 16, 2007.

1. skooch

skooch

I use buffalo milk on my rustoleum job. No one is going to confuse it with a quality paint job but it definitely gives the car a nice sheen and keeps the paint from chalking up.
    http://www.buffalomilke.com

2. mercjoe

mercjoe

What the heck is that ?!?! :eek:

3. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

I read through the web site and it doesn't tell you what the produst is, does.

4. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

As stated above, try John Deere black, cheap and easy to use at home. Holds up real nice.

5. Duplicolor from Murray's with PPG flattening agent mixed in.

Attached Files:

6. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

The only problem with john deere blitz black is, if you ever cahnge your mind, well, don't change your mind.

And buffalo milke sounds like infomercial ronco crap.

7. skooch

skooch

Buffalo Milke is a cleaner/spray wax that is infomercial ronco crap but I love it.
    John D'Agastino uses it and if it's good enough for his cars it's good enough for my old beater!

8. sethcollins

sethcollins
    from san diego

this was rattle can wrought iron black. i think it is about 80% flat.

Rattle can was my only option at the time because i could only work on it at my parents house- and my dad would not let me spray it there.
    at the time even a cheapie earl schieb was too $$ for me.
    (i must have blew my money on billet wipers instead!)

i color sanded it up to 1800 grit.-i would wax it every few months with a lemon furniture polish to keep the dust off and seemed to keep it from ever chalking up.

i always planned on painting it but sold it before i got the chance. i hated people calling it a rat rod. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. mercjoe

mercjoe

Any good named brand wax to use over flat paint ?

10. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I've never done anything to mine to maintain the paint other than wash it with soap and water at the self serve car wash. Has a nice slight sheen to it, but is a flat single stage of some sort. Was on it when I got it.

I'll be working the pannels and respraying them as I go after I get the breaks sorted out. The passenger side front fender has a bit of bare metal on the top in the size and shape of the bottom of my bottle of degreaser...turns out it gets hot enough in my shop in the summer to boil degreaser out of the top of the bottle.

11. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

that is smooth,but i must say i LOVE the emergency brake.:D

12. mercjoe

mercjoe

Looks pretty good actually....

13. atomickustom

atomickustom

Just to clarify about the dust and scratches: it gets scratched because I drive it to work 3 or 4 days a week, and dust is a problem because I live on a gravel road. (Don't want anyone thinking that I'm the guy at the show dusting his car obsessively with a mop thingy.)
    What I meant about the touchup is with gloss paint you can always just rub out scratches, but with the flat you're stuck with it.

14. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Aw shit busted again. I'm just lazy.

[​IMG]
    I had a 32 tudor that was solid but had funky paint. I was playing around with some Krylon semi flat in the garage just for shits and giggles and it made such a nice improvement that I fell in love with it. For me it has just the right amount of sheen to it.

I hate to break it to you guys but the old hot rods that we love so much were rarely as nice as the cars we build today to look like them. I intensionally left some defects that lets people know that it's real. I wanted a car that was closer to the cars of my youth than the Boydster. Am I lazy? Probably but that is not why my car isn't as nice as some of the street rodded clones. It's that way because I like it that way. Tough shit!:D

15. crisallt

crisallt

I originaly intended to run my car in primer but decided against it. I liked the color of the primer enough that we tried to color match it with real paint. This turned out more of a semi-gloss but I'm pretty happy with it. It's a product called UNO from RM.

black1.jpg

this was the primer

black2.jpg

the finished car in paint

16. slammed

slammed

Clark has it down. The JD Blitz is tough, and need's to be removed before a 'true' paint system is to be applied. The Amish were 1st.

17. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Come on now onced Jakey, dunerweter.
    Don't drag us now into them English World problems, fordumsi.

1 HP Abner

18. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

The gray looks better to me! I have a '54 post also and it's been black for too long. I like your gray!

19. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

This is who I meant to respond to in the above post, sorry!

20. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

When I did my 29 roadster, I had a tight budjet--like almost no money at first.My friend has a parts store and told me that Orr-Lac is a "high solids" type paint--meaning it's not as thin / runny as most spray-can paints. I tried it on some small parts and came out great.So I bought a case--preped all my parts REAL good--and painted everything--frame / suspension / body.It's really a "Semi-Gloss" like the cans say.The best part:I kinda "rubbed it out" with Lemon Pledge and a dish scrubbing pad--and it looked great! People still don't believe it's done with spray cans---plus it has a pleasant lemon scent!

Attached Files:

21. Blue70

Blue70

How did you like the Hot Rod Flatz?
    I was thinking of using them this time around,
    they have a ton of flat colors.. I want to try one out.

Also , all my past flat jobs have only been washed with soap and water, never waxed.

22. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

What is the PPG number of the flat black? What is the year/make/manufacturer paint code? Been checkin' into flat blacks and all the paint supply stores tell me that you can't get flat black in single stage. Only two stage with a flat clearcoat.

23. 500LBGorilla

500LBGorilla
    from Austin Tx

This is a GM underhood paint, for radiator supports and wheelwells.. i doesnt show any handprints , i call it baby seal black
    [​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  24. scr8p

scr8p

i'm using it on a 55 chevy we're currently building. this is the first car i've ever tried it on, but it seems to be nice stuff.

25. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

My car was recently stripped, then primed, I love the look and cannot afford a big $$ paint job now. I don't want to leave it in bare primer so I plan to spray it flat black at home and get a real paint job a few years from now. If the John Deere paint cannot be painted over, how about the ppg hot rod black or the trim paint? Any other suggestions?

26. Not a truck that fits this website, but it is painted satin black, using single-stage enamel.

Attached Files:

27. Flat black is like flames -- looks good on almost anything and never goes out of style.

28. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

Ive used rustoleum with a reducer for oil based paint ( walmart actually has good prices on quart cans of rusto and the gallon of oil based reducer). 4 quarts and a gallon of reducer is all you need. Use a paint gun and compresser, looks ten times better then rattle can. It holds up well.

29. HotrodTrash

HotrodTrash
    from Hanford,ca

And prep the car just as you were going to really paint it. 200-400-600 grit, not a pro but this has always worked for me when using the rusto.

30. Drive Em

Drive Em

Get a clue.