Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone know these people?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CHOPSHOP, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I know they say that mimicking is like the highest form of flattery but come on!

Our logo is COPYWRITED - Anyone know these guys ? I mean you 'd think they would at least have changed the COLORS or something...

THEM:

[​IMG]

US:
    [​IMG]

Im hoping they realize I now know about it and take it down since I requested them to do so. Dont feel like fighting any legal battles so early in 2008!

Anyone know them or OF them?

2. whats on the web page Lenny? i have to agree with you its a pretty shitty and lame ..

3. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

A typical car site- posts, pics and crap like that- it looks pretty well run but ... SHOOT- ya know?

Here is a pic of the girl "Christy' who owns the site- shes in for a big surprise when she opens her email this morning!

(pretty girl too)
    [​IMG]
    "Hey everyone! My name is Christy, for those of you who haven't met me yet. I own C.A.R.S. and I love cars/trucks/motorcycles and putting on car shows! I love old vehicles, as well as new ones! Imports, sound systems, hydraulics, and lights! I love meeting new people, and of course, all of my car show family! I am excited about all the locations we are having the shows at, and I am looking forward to spending this car show season with each and every one of you!"

Also- isnt C.A.R.S. also the name of a HUGE company that is probably ALSO copywrited?! LOL

4. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

If they do not meet your request you may need a lawyer to write them a letter. sometimes that all it take.

I'm lucky my sister is a lawyer and I get a lot of free advice.

5. Might check copyright law, the logo has to be a certain percentage different than yours. Even though it looks the same, with different words it might be within the law... check it out, don't take my word.

6. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

I guess on some level I should be flattered - but its PISSING ME OFF this morning....Im so glad I PAID for a design that someone else just stole...LOL

7. belair

belair

C.A.R.S. is a huge repop supplier, bought Ciadella out a few years ago. That web site is probably owned by some sleez-bag, not that chick. I would encourage you to defend your logo-that's why you copywrited it in the first place. Plus, if you don't it will sooner or later be un-defendable because you let it slide. Also, the reputation of your shop is at stake. Good luck.

8. noboD

noboD

Gee, even the red balls at the bottom with letters in them. looks confusingly the same to me. Maybe you should add the word "import" to yours? Ohh, never mind.

9. I've heard that word similarity bit too.

Try changing your biz to McChop Shop and take note of the clown who comes knocking at your door....

10. Have an ATTOURNY draw up a nice Cease and decist letter, you will be amazed.

11. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Yeah- we sent an email to 'her' this morning basically saying we see they stole oru logo and have 5 business days to take it down. See where it goes or I may just have to notify C.A.R.S. too that they are using their name ...LOL

12. bcarlson

bcarlson

I just did a quick whois lookup on that domain name:

Fritts, Christy [email protected]
    1608 Lopo Rd
    Flower Mound, Texas 75028
    United States

Now, one thing to keep in mind is that they may have hired a designer to make their logo, and the designer copied yours, un-beknownst to cars roadshow. My recommendation, keep a level head, let them know your grievance, and if they are unwilling to make a change, then pursue the legal channels.

Ben

13. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

the website says they are at :
    C.A.R.S
    Custom Automobile Road Show

3160 Saturn Ste. # 228
    Garland, TX 75041

Cell-
    214-502-6211

Email:
    [email protected]

Maybe someone is nearby that might want to make them aware of this?

Im sure they did hire someone to do it- years ago I had a club member who assured me his friend's son did some artwork 'freehand'. We used it on a T shirt for a car club show- only to see it 6 months later on someone elses shirt!
    Found out later that the kid had taken the original ,swapped out some colors and presented it as his own - all around town...LOL

In the Internet age- you'd think that maybe she had seen it somewhere before????
    Did some more investigating - the address pulls up JIM FRITZ (husband? Brother? Dad?) of CJR Marketing Inc. with a phone number:972- 926-8409. Hmmmmm

14. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Alot of people jus dont get it!! Theres nothing worse then having one of your ideas or something that you've created 'stolen' from you. I understand we all get ideas from one another and then find ways to 'personalize' them or something but DAMN...They just flat out copied your sh!t and didnt change nothing....I dont know how some people do it..

15. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Keep in mind there are state and national copy rights. If you just registered yours on the state level and she is national you may not have a case at all, been through this. Plus I think her's is enough different that you may not have a case anyway. Sorry you are going through this, it really Sucks!

16. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

If my logo is on my website- its actually 'technically' registered Internationally. (its like a poor man's copywrite -especially because we have a disclaimer on our website since 2004 that all images are our property and cant be used without written request and approval.) But you know- at least change the colors or something- you would think....

Luckily, Dana thought ahead and scanned in the orginal design artwork from when we created the logo- its drawn in pencil ... COOL

:eek:

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

SURE! You really believe the photo is her too? Do whatever you have to protect your business! Sounds like a scam in the first place, how many people make a profit on a car show, first time out?

18. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

well -their website is more of a place to see local event listings and stuff too- they have some local sponsors too. Hooters, Bass Pro etc so Im guessing that they probably just didnt think it all through when designing the site and logo- Maybe she is a mom who needed something to do...so hubby gave her a website. Who knows? I hope they respond though

19. The "change a certain percentage" idea is an Urban Myth.

One design is clearly derived from the other;
    it is called a "derivative work".

The copyright of the original design includes the rights
    to make derivative designs.

20. I would be no more flattered if they stole my TV set.

21. There was a guy on here a few months ago,
    paid some local weasel for a shirt design,proudly
    displays his "new" design here.
    Turns out it was a direct copy of one of Zombie's designs.
    Same design,same colors.
    He was not amused to find out he had been screwed.
    Last I heard,Zombie was doing a new design for him.

Designers and artists should know better,AND realize
    they will be found out eventually.

22. As much as we all hate attorneys. . .

I paid $50 to have a cease and desist order sent one time. Best money I ever spent.

23. Frank

Frank

Pretty sure this is just a service that organizes and holds car shows for advertising or fund raising. I think they are responsible for the once a month Tuesday shows at Taco Casa in Garland.

24. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Lenny , welcome to the club. The "club" of having your artwork knocked off by some graphics guy who is to lazy to come up with an original idea. Art work from our ads has turned up on rod run t-shirts, a billboard advertising an event, nostalgia door advertising art and even reversed and on a leading mfgs packaging, all used without permission.

After looking into this and from my experiences it is expensive and difficult to prosecute the offender, they know that. This rip off idea market has exploded via the internet and computer graphics. Here anyone with a little computer expertise and an art work program can be a web designer. Rather than rely on their creative ideas its easier to copy someone else's stuff, copyright logo affixed or not. The more appealing your idea or trendy, the bigger the target.

The internet has spawned a new society with the attitude that if something is posted it must be free and up for stealing at any time. This compromising of intellectual property is being trashed due to the difficulty of catching the offenders and then the cost of bringing them to court.

If you even won your case, I think that it would be very difficult to even win reimbursement for legal expenses. In this country, even if you are blatantly encroached, copy write law is so loose that a 10% difference from the original could allow the offender to skate. The music people has tried to address the copying and piracy issues in their industry with little success and this is no different.

I have had some success with attorney's letters but if you are really wound up, the best advise is go to a real good copyright/intellectual property attorney that has offices in that offenders State for an opinion. Good luck.

25. chaddilac

chaddilac

Maybe the she's never seen your logo and had an artist design it? It's hard to believe a smart girl like that would completely copy your logo to a T like it has been done.

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It appears that she runs Awards To Go.
    If she is printing up the shirts she shows on the web page without paying license fees you won't be the only one after her.
    One thing about it, there is no way that was an accident, pure copy, paste, alter.
    The local wineries fight that with their labels on a constant basis from both sides. One of my favorites had to change name and logo because their design and name was "too close" to one in Cal even though when you saw both on the shelf they didn't look that much alike.

27. ascenttm

ascenttm
    from HERE

28. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Actually, I'd be pissed at my graphic designer if I were you. That logo looks like it's a logo taken from one of many "Free Logo Design" websites that are out there. Very good chance both of these logo's came from the exact same site, where you just plug in your text and it spits out a logo. Your designer may have taken your money and got a $19.95 out of the box logo. I bet there's hundreds of places that have an identical logo. Not sure how copywrite laws would apply to that. Usually the logo design website has copywrited the logo, giving them the write to duplicate/sell. You ought to follow up with your designer and ask him how he came up with that logo.

big mac

29. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

You say you paid someone to develop your logo as well???

I have a friend who paid a graphic "artist" to develop a logo for them and later my friend found someone else using a similar logo. My friend contacted this person who was surprised to find their logo so similar as they paid someone to develop it for them. Theirs was developed after my friends so they contacted their "artist" who admitted to "borrowing some elements" from other art they saw.

Trouble was it wasn't my friends art it was borrowed from and that my friends artist just happened to rip the same art off.

You might prepare yourself to for the remote possibilty that yours belonged to someone else first. Not saying it did, just letting you know.

30. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I see Big Mac and I are on the same wavelength...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.