Register now to get rid of these ads!

Made a grille insert today......not sure if I like it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Painterman, Dec 26, 2007.

1. junkmonger

junkmonger

That or a confessional. I guess it depends on how old you are. I think I used that stuff in a high school metal shop project too. I'd go with the polished stainless screen, but it's your car.

2. Painterman

Painterman

You're right! Now I know why it looks so familiar!..............Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...........................

3. congo's dad

congo's dad

Grille Loox EXCELLENT sort of early-30's Pontiac

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i dont normally give my opinion when i dont like something, but you asked,,,,,looks like the stuff they use on storm doors or radiator covers in an apartment,,,
    there are a lot of cool expanded metal designs available,,someone posted a thread here not too long ago with places to buy expanded metal...id check out some other options,,sorry, but that stuff just looks kinda cheap to me,,,JUST my opinion obviously

5. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

i think it looks cool but needs more depth like put a chrome bead around the outside and maybe set it further back in the shell it would look pretty sweet.

6. Painterman

Painterman

No offense taken. Opinions are all over the map on this one. Like all things, it boils down to personal preference. I really wasn't looking for anyone to tell me what to do, just seeing what everyone thought.

7. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

The big question is...Do you like it? If you do, then you would not be posting this! :) Who cares what everyone else thinks! Does it fit your Rods theme?

8. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Way back when I built my 35 Dodge, I ended up building 3 grill inserts before I found the one I liked best. I ran each version for a year to see if it worked for me. Some are a real pain to clean the bug juice off of, looks like that one may be a pain to clean up, after a summer evening trip near the river/lake/pond. If its going to be there, might as well be functional. Gene

9. cliff bryan

cliff bryan

I think it looks good dewd...not tacky at all!

10. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Just set it a little deeper in the shell. Loose the shine and it'll be all good.

11. Painterman

Painterman

I think you hit the nail on the head. This is what is really bugging me the most. Even though it's a cut up pickup that nobody ever did "back then", it still has a early 50's flavor to the rest of the truck. The grille just doesn't fit. Maybe if I sold the 40 wheels and tires and put radirs on it. Then it would "feel" right. ;)

12. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm not diggin it. I seen that mesh at the home depot and it's hard for me to relate to any other way. Everyone dances to a different tune. I like the rest of your ride.

13. 46highboypu

46highboypu

Painterman,
    Im new to this list and slowly finding my around surfing to find others with project similar to mine. That's how I found you (bobbers etc.). I've already learned one thing, if ask for an opinion you'll get 30* who say they like it, 10* who actually give good help and advice, and 60* who want to tell you how stupid they think you are. I'm all for guys who try to do it themselves, no skool, no rules.
    My reason for writing, I looked into mesh like that, behind the grill, to protect the aluminum (yeah I know, too new) radiator in my truck. All I found was pretty much yours and I was concerned about air flow. My situation is different than yours but I think I may try common aluminum screen, really from doors.
    I would like to see some pictures of your ride if you would. Here is my homemade grill which is for my '46.

46highboypu
    [email protected]

Attached Files:

14. maybe if the pattern was tilted at 45 degrees the vertical lines would help

try acid etching some or just scuffing it a bit also

any reason ya dint get copper/brass instead?

15. premium

premium
    from Goergia

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

No matter what you do to that stuff it will always and forever look like what it is and that IS NOT material for a car or truck grille, new, old or otherwise.
    You asked for opinions because after you installed it you knew but just couldn't jerk it out and can it without reinforcement from others. Nothing wrong with that.
    Make up a template and lay out some round or square bar stock in a vertical or horizontal pattern. Perhaps a mic of large and small bares or a wide vertical center section of larger bars and side, either vertical or horizontal side sections. It's a little more work than screen material but it is CAR stuff.

17. Killer

Killer

round the edges of the grill (by the insert) with some 1/4 rod...

18. DrJ

DrJ

Looks good to me!
    I decided drawer pulls would just invite brat kids to destroy mine pronto...

I used the pattern that's just two sizes of round holes. I figure it's at least 1/2 open and cooling improved over a round bar grill. I think round bars cause air drag through a grill just like open tires cause more drag than enclosed fenders.
    Mine is tipped back some so I turned the pattern to the 45º angle so the pattern didn't go "down hill" at the sides and think the pattern works better that way.
    I used a cutdown piece of door trim off a '67 Volvo down the center.