Register now to get rid of these ads!

Two Lane Blacktop, COUPE Where is it now?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WilliesDaytona, Dec 25, 2007.

1. I am talking about the little Green Coupe they race (Blew its ASS OFF) in Santa Fe, you know 427, two carter carbs, and 11 inchs of rubber in the rear.... Whatever happened to that car? I would trade my left nut to own that little Jewl, make it a little quicker and have a rematch with one of the original 55s.........

Any leads would be great and I would pay a finder fee if it leads to me purchasing the car...

2. mykwillis

mykwillis

although i can't help i do remember the car.

back to the top for ya.........

3. anything can happen when its in the script..

4. montclaire

montclaire

Two Lane was a pretty low buck movie, I doubt it was built specifically for filming. The opening scenes featured the 'Big Willy' Daytona, I can't recall the name of the car club he founded, but that's the place to start. I think they were out of Chicago. Also, the guy who built the chevys was named Richard Ruth, and he was a speed freak out of CA, might have belonged to a friend of his. I know Ruth is still alive, might be worth giving him a call.

5. pastlane

pastlane

Big Willy's club was Street Racers of America

6. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

The street racing scenes at the beginning were shot in or around LA, I remember Car Craft doing a write up on Big Willy but I thought it was the Los Angeles Street Racing Association or something like that. I have to imagine most of the other stuff was shot in SoCal as well although IIRC there may have been some shots done in the Oklahoma/Arkansas/Texas vicinity but after almost 40 years I'm not going to argue if somebody says I'm wrong. I usually am.

7. Model40-770

Model40-770
    from LOUISIANA

Check out yahoo groups....... http://groups.msn.cm/twolaneblacktophomepage it is the homepage and group of one of the original twolane blacktop cars the man with the glendale racing racing shop shirt on at the gas station in the movie owns the car now and is the moderator of the group he may be able to help you....

8. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

It was the L.A. Street Racers. They use to meet behind the IHOP in Crenshaw Square at midnight. Use to go there after work in 68'.

Story about the Daytona, I heard, was when Willie bought it, Bo'Pete with a Willys Pick-up challenged Willie to a race. The Willys beat the Daytona. The Street Racers redid the Daytona with either an Ed Pink or Dick Landy Hemi and beat Bo'Pete.

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The Daytona was at the HRR in Bowling Green year before last and had Willie's Street Racers jacket draped over the steering wheel

10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Man, I've never heard anyone ask about that car. But while we're on the subject, does anyone know the name of the SONG that plays as they drive up to the street racing spot where this coupe is? I think it's a Doors song - but haven't ever figured out what it is.

This car?

[​IMG]

11. BIG WILLIE is too kool................does he still own the charger?

12. Jake H.

Jake H.

Gotgas, I think the doors song you're asking about is "Moonlight Drive".

I hope something on the lil' coupe mentioned pops up. If there is anywhere it can happen, it's definitely the HAMB.

13. The Shocker

The Shocker

It is the doors ,and i think the song is called "Lets swim to the moon" or "Moonlight Something" .It does fit the scene and the atmosphere real well i thought.I'm not a hundred percent sure of the song title ,but i think its right.I watch this movie often ,but it came out 2 years before i was born...

14. That would be Moonlight Drive off Strange Days

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

That looks like the one, Willie dont own it anymore I talked to the guys that had it there but I cant remember what the story was with it (there might be something to that partying memory thing)

16. ironbuyer

ironbuyer

My dad raced against "Big Willie" in So. Cal back in the late 60's. They always raced for money, BIG MONEY for the day. Big Willie ran the street races in San Pedro I think until recently. I am not sure if he is still alive. I will ask my father if he is. I have heard alot of crazy stories over the years about those guys.
    Steve Glucoft
    Amocat Speed Emp.

17. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Mike, notice the guys screen name that started this thread. He IS the guy that owned the Daytona we all seen in Bowling Green at the Hot Rod Reunion.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Make it three yards, mother fucker and we'll have an automobile race." Gotta love it.

19. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Didn't Big Willie pass away in the last year or so? I'm gonna have to do a search because I swear his death was posted somewhere.

Jan

20. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

The 'Duke and Dutchess Daytona' , pictured above is in NJ getting restored to as-raced condition. The 'King Daytona' was in the movie, and is not the car pictured, Willie had 3 total.

Here is Willie's wife's 'Queen' Daytona, which was totaled in 1973...

[​IMG]

21. Didnt BIG WILLIE have a early cuda wiith a daytona wing? it was a 66/67 painted black & white if memory serves me...........wish BIG WILLIE was on here

22. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

[​IMG]

23. just googled BIG WILLIES daytona and it said on the 2guys site that itsold for $250,000...damn

24. thanks alot..I love this car (sic).whats he up to??....any ideas

25. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

I know his wife, Tomiko, passed away earlier this year...

Here is a cool photo album from '06 that I found on the web...

http://rides.webshots.com/album/554416353LUAsEC

26. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Thanks for pointing that out Brian how did I miss that (In my best Homer voice) D'oh

27. Wasn't BIG WILLIES club called ''the brotherhood of street racers''?

28. AKA Kustoms

AKA Kustoms
    from Racine, WI

29. montclaire

montclaire

I think the white daytona was actually found next to big willies above ground swimming pool a few years back...

30. Da Injun

Da Injun

The story I got on the car from the dude that had it at Bowling Green....who was also a member of the Brotherhood of Street Racers (of L.A.)..... was that the Daytona had been sitting in Big Willies yard for quite sometime, and that it was a big deal that it was leaving the yard without Big Willie, and that Willie wanted to remove his name from the side of the car to prevent this guy from getting hassled, since Willie is still highly respected among the racers and street gangs of L.A. it would have been some sort of problem to have his name remain on the side of the car....but he did get the helmet that Willie had with this car, but the jacket that was sitting in the car, was the guy that brought it down to Bowling Green....and many people hassled him for the car not being old enough...I thought it defintely was one of the coolest things there...moronic fools who did not know what it was were thinking it was the car from Joe Dirt and asking the owner if it was from that movie....and the guy that brought it there was not very amused by the Joe Dirt comments.

I do have pictures of the car from Bowling Green, I will try to get them scanned (my scanner is busted)